Skid plates 2 door only

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Those with 2 doors, what skid plates are you running? How is the fit? Just wanting something to protect the oil pan and transmission, not make the underbelly look like a turtle.
Sponsored

4x4Funlover

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Well I just ordered the Quadratec Aluminum Modular Engine Transmission and Transfer case combo kit. for the reasons you listed. Let me start with the cross members are heavy duty and skids are light but feel really strong (here is comes), but It doesn't fit. Wish I would have gotten some pictures but I was frustrated and not thinking. The front cross member did not have previsions for the fuel tank skid stud but looks like I could have made it work. the Transfer case skid cross member was another story it's not even close the bar is probably an inch to short and the cut out for the gas tank isn't deep enough(if thats even what it was meant to be). IMO it looks like they based it off the 4 door and what they saw with the 2 and 4 door JK's. The gas tank in the 2 door JL is much longer than JK's. Now the instructions did say the engine skid was for 2 and 4 door and the transfer case was just for the 4 door. but Quadratec.com doesn't list any compatibility issues. I do live close to the Quadratec home office, so I am going to drop the skids off and see if they want see the issues for them selves.

Last edited:

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Well I just ordered the Quadratec Aluminum Modular Engine Transmission and Transfer case combo kit. for the reasons you listed. Let me start with the cross members are heavy duty and skids are light but feel really strong (here is comes), but It doesn't fit. Wish I would have gotten some pictures but I was frustrated and not thinking. The front cross member did not have previsions for the fuel tank skid stud but looks like I could have made it work. the Transfer case skid cross member was another story it's not even close the bar is probably an inch to short and the cut out for the gas tank isn't deep enough(if thats even what it was meant to be). IMO it looks like they based it off the 4 door and what they saw with the 2 and 4 door JK's. The gas tank in the 2 door JL is much longer than JK's. Now the instructions did say the engine skid was for 2 and 4 door and the transfer case was just for the 4 door. but Quadratec.com doesn't list any compatibility issues. I do live close to the Quadratec home office, so I am going to drop the skids off and see if they want see the issues for them selves.
Let us know how it pans out

4x4Funlover

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Going to start this out with a shout out to the Engineers @Quadratec it was nice meeting you guys. I learned from the team that these skids were designed to support most of the weight of the jeep, when they were designing them they used a jack from different locations on the skids to lift the Jeep off the ground. They do not recommend dropping or jumping the Jeep from "extraordinary" heights and expecting the skids to not bend though.:giggle: :facepalm:

The web site should be updated and they are going to make corrections to the engine/transmission skid plate cross member (or the instructions)so that it will fit the 2 door. Transfer case skid may follow but right now it's only available for the 4 door. Check the site for the updates.

Now if you want to make the Engine skid work for you here is what we did. (Wish I would have gotten some pictures while we worked.)
- We removed the stud on the leading edge of the tank that went into the original cross member.
- and we bolted every thing up.
- I had a full tank of gas but once I run it down I'm going to try and shift the gas tank skid back to clear the cross member, there is some minor interference.

Now you do lose a little ground clearance but the protection to the engine, transmission and exhaust is a welcome trade off.:rock:

IMG_20190523_142123389.jpg
IMG_20190523_142135516.jpg

Last edited:

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
The leader for me was rockhard4x4, because they have a 2 door version, available in both steel and aluminum. I want aluminum. But, all they have is complete belly pan, and I only want the engine\oil pan protection, not the whole thing. I thought Evo had one, but it’s just for JLU. I see that Quadratec’s says 4 door now on their web site. My search continues.

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
The leader for me was rockhard4x4, because they have a 2 door version, available in both steel and aluminum. I want aluminum. But, all they have is complete belly pan, and I only want the engine\oil pan protection, not the whole thing. I thought Evo had one, but it’s just for JLU. I see that Quadratec’s says 4 door now on their web site. My search continues.
I just bought this Evo model from Northridge4x4. Their website said it fits the 2-door. I plan to install it this weekend, so I hope it fits.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Can you elaborate on what modification was necessary? Looks like I'll be doing the same this weekend.
Click the “some modification” text in his reply, it is a hyperlink to the site where he shows this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
UKCATS

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

mtnbiker73

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 JKU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the EVO skid as well. I had to trim a section of the skid where it made contact with the gas tank. I also had to trim away by the exhaust, since it made contact there as well.

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I’m brand new to the Jeep world so forgive me if I’m asking a dumb question here, but does the Rubicon not come with a skid plate that protects the engine? I see what looks like the gas tank, a cross member by the transmission and transfer case I’m assuming, and oil pan? Am I seeing this right? Any help is appreciated.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I’m brand new to the Jeep world so forgive me if I’m asking a dumb question here, but does the Rubicon not come with a skid plate that protects the engine? I see what looks like the gas tank, a cross member by the transmission and transfer case I’m assuming, and oil pan? Am I seeing this right? Any help is appreciated.
No, it does not. It includes protection for the transfer case and gas tank however the entire engine (oil pan) and most of the transmission has been exposed on all models and trims in stock form.

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
No, it does not. It includes protection for the transfer case and gas tank however the entire engine (oil pan) and most of the transmission has been exposed on all models and trims in stock form.

I guess it looks like a full belly Pan is in order. Thanks for the response.
Sponsored