Planning Moab Trip

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey group I am planning a trip to Moab the end of june. I plan on being there for about 4 days. I want to get as much wheeling and sightseeing in as possible, hoping to twist the boss's arm to stay a little longer. Are there decent maps of the trails available? I am debating on buying a hand help GPS to help us out. Ideally id like to connect with a group while we are out there so we aren't wheeling alone. Also good places to see/eat off the trail? we want to take our son to the dinosaur tracks any reviews of that? Thanks for any and all help
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
OP
OP

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I found that right after I posted, Thanks!

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Hey group I am planning a trip to Moab the end of june. I plan on being there for about 4 days. I want to get as much wheeling and sightseeing in as possible, hoping to twist the boss's arm to stay a little longer. Are there decent maps of the trails available? I am debating on buying a hand help GPS to help us out. Ideally id like to connect with a group while we are out there so we aren't wheeling alone. Also good places to see/eat off the trail? we want to take our son to the dinosaur tracks any reviews of that? Thanks for any and all help
A good place for dinosaur tracks is the back way into Arches national park from the main road into moab. Its an easy trail that did not have too much traffic. You can park and walk right up to the tracks. We took my 2017 grand Cherokee Trailhawk and had no issues. Here are a few pics of the trail and actual tracks.

IMG_20170719_105936.jpg

IMG_20170719_104402.jpg

IMG_20170719_103635.jpg

OP
OP

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
awesome stuff thanks for the input, im going to look into the GPS.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Moab is a spectacular place. We've been there three times so far and still have yet to scratch the surface of everything there is to see or do out there.

Depending on if you're able to connect with someone online, City Market there in town used to be the place people would hang out and find people to run trails with. Not sure if that's still the case or not though.

As you're planning trails to run, try to plan trails that are grouped together or run in a loop so you're not running the same trail there and back. If you're looking for trail suggestions Hell's Revenge and Fins -n- Things are both right there in town practically and can both be run on the same day and you're almost guaranteed to find someone either at the trail head or on the trail. Top of the World is a fun trail, though it seems like it's gotten a little gnarlier over the years. The first time I ran it was in a stock JK Rubicon back in 2009 and it didn't seem to bad. Fast forward to 2018 when I decided to tackle it in our JL Rubicon with a 2.5" budget boost and 37's and I was like "I don't remember it being this bad". Once you get to the top the views are amazing.

I'll also throw out another vote for the Funtreks book, I've got the printed and digital versions and it's pretty much the bible for navigating the trails. If you pick up the book, I would say don't be totally intimidated by the "difficult" trails they have listed. While yes some are difficult and require a heavily modified vehicle, others it's more the psychological factor to it. The author does a great job of explaining things and mapping everything out to make trail planning pretty painless.

61626te23%2BL.jpg

Last but not least, if at all possible, try not to make the visit all about 4 wheeling. There are so many amazing things to see or do in Moab that don't involve off roading. I know sounds almost blasphemous, but it's true. Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point all have incredible things to see.

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Moab is a spectacular place. We've been there three times so far and still have yet to scratch the surface of everything there is to see or do out there.

Depending on if you're able to connect with someone online, City Market there in town used to be the place people would hang out and find people to run trails with. Not sure if that's still the case or not though.

As you're planning trails to run, try to plan trails that are grouped together or run in a loop so you're not running the same trail there and back. If you're looking for trail suggestions Hell's Revenge and Fins -n- Things are both right there in town practically and can both be run on the same day and you're almost guaranteed to find someone either at the trail head or on the trail. Top of the World is a fun trail, though it seems like it's gotten a little gnarlier over the years. The first time I ran it was in a stock JK Rubicon back in 2009 and it didn't seem to bad. Fast forward to 2018 when I decided to tackle it in our JL Rubicon with a 2.5" budget boost and 37's and I was like "I don't remember it being this bad". Once you get to the top the views are amazing.

I'll also throw out another vote for the Funtreks book, I've got the printed and digital versions and it's pretty much the bible for navigating the trails. If you pick up the book, I would say don't be totally intimidated by the "difficult" trails they have listed. While yes some are difficult and require a heavily modified vehicle, others it's more the psychological factor to it. The author does a great job of explaining things and mapping everything out to make trail planning pretty painless.

61626te23%2BL.jpg

Last but not least, if at all possible, try not to make the visit all about 4 wheeling. There are so many amazing things to see or do in Moab that don't involve off roading. I know sounds almost blasphemous, but it's true. Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point all have incredible things to see.
We loved hiking in canyonlands and arches. Wilson's arch is also a good one on the way to some trails right off the main road. Moab is a great place to visit. I can't wait to get back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Dates are set, getting into town on the 25th and staying until the 3rd. Anyone up for some early morning trail runs? Want to beat the heat lol.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
If I can get the steering done on my Jeep we should be out that way at the same time. All depends on how early you call early though. This Jeep has AC and I'm not a morning person. LOL

OP
OP

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I’m thinking breakfast around 6 and the to the trails lol