Sponsored

Anyone have any info/insight on hood upgrades?

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Yeahhh buddy! I've actually been tracking this one awhile and have been sooo close to getting it several times. Buuuuut I have held back because as much as I think it's sick as f***, the raised scoop is likely to attract a little more attention than I'm looking for.

They also recently released their knockoff Rubicon hood for significantly less than factory, but idk I think I just really want to go with something not everyone has... I kinda want people to say "I've never seen that one before!"

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Yeahhh buddy! I've actually been tracking this one awhile and have been sooo close to getting it several times. Buuuuut I have held back because as much as I think it's sick as f***, the raised scoop is likely to attract a little more attention than I'm looking for.

They also recently released their knockoff Rubicon hood for significantly less than factory, but idk I think I just really want to go with something not everyone has... I kinda want people to say "I've never seen that one before!"

That was my thought when I upgraded however Fiberworx was the only one and that hood has no rain managment while that is not an issue in dry climates here in the NW it was

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Great thread. The only issue I am worried about is the color matching. Did a color matched grille for me Tundra and I could tell a difference. No one ever commented on it so maybe it was my paranoia but for the entire hood? It would be worried the paint would be too far off. Any thoughts?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Great thread. The only issue I am worried about is the color matching. Did a color matched grille for me Tundra and I could tell a difference. No one ever commented on it so maybe it was my paranoia but for the entire hood? It would be worried the paint would be too far off. Any thoughts?
I took a chance on Maaco they did a perfect match $350 and installed the hood (which they did not realize to take 2 hours)

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
Just adding this to put a price comparison on record... Just picked up a Rubi hood with 21 miles on it from Texas Vehicle Exchange for $600 with the same body color as mine. I believe they also have a black still available.

20190527_232226.jpg
20190525_114112.jpg

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
That was my thought when I upgraded however Fiberworx was the only one and that hood has no rain managment while that is not an issue in dry climates here in the NW it was
Yeah exactly, too many unknowns long term and (at least for most of us) it's not something you just 'trade out' after awhile if you don't like it. I want to pick something up that I'll love for the life of my JL. Anyway, please let me know if you come acress anything else! I'm likely to be more cautious with this purchase than anything else!

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Great point, and I would imagine it gets tougher and tougher when you look at all the specialty colors out there. Seems to me like getting it painted by the dealer (or an affiliated autobody place) would be the best bet to be sure... Granted, you'll expect to pay a pretty penny if you go that route.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I took a chance on Maaco they did a perfect match $350 and installed the hood (which they did not realize to take 2 hours)
Dang I'd say $350 installed is a huge win! Sounds like fitment took some real work. Now I'm curious as to who/what did you end up going with?

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Just adding this to put a price comparison on record... Just picked up a Rubi hood with 21 miles on it from Texas Vehicle Exchange for $600 with the same body color as mine. I believe they also have a black still available.

20190527_232226.jpg
20190525_114112.jpg
That's a score brother! I have definitely thought about how much simpler my life would be if I went that route, especially because I do love the Rubicon hood (how can you not), but idk I'm still hesitating and need to be sure on whatever I go with. Somehow this decision has been way tougher than pretty much all my others... Anyway, thanks for the lead on the black hood. Something to ponder for sure!

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Fitted the @TOTL Innovations hood on my JL, painting should finish this week, install scheduled for Friday. I can’t wait. This one is fiberglass, and it is heavier than the stock aluminum.

B112FDAA-2050-4E48-8E8E-8B5DE409A124.jpeg
Oh my effing goodness, it looks really good! So how did the paint go on Friday, did you get it all done? PICTURES PLEASE!!!

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Fitted the @TOTL Innovations hood on my JL, painting should finish this week, install scheduled for Friday. I can’t wait. This one is fiberglass, and it is heavier than the stock aluminum.

B112FDAA-2050-4E48-8E8E-8B5DE409A124.jpeg
I'm especially eager to see the final product because I have a black one also. So I would figuratively kill a man to see it installed!

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Yup, painting complete and installed. All went very well. Hopefully I just saved a life sharing the pics. ;-). Let me know if you have any specific questions. Everything lines up perfectly.

20190531_162414.jpg

20190531_162338.jpg

20190531_162407.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: