Sponsored

JL's JLs Builds

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Thanks again! For the catch can: i had one on my last Jeep (2006 Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI). It pulled a lot of oil and bad moisture out of the system, that would've been recycled through, so i absolutely like the idea of it. I had that vehicle/engine from 30K to 175K. When i gave it up, the engine ran great; no issues with it at all. The new owner actually found me, via my old thread on another forum and complimented me on my maint to the vehicle and how good the engine ran. This engine is new to me, but i like the idea of keeping recycled oil (and possible other factors) out of the engine and manifold. It's somewhat of an "audit point" for me. Over the 2200 i've put on it, it's probably caught about 3oz. I have just dumped it out, but will prob just dump it back in the oil fill, in the future. Time will tell, but i anticipate a positive experience from having it.
Good to hear, if you don’t mind updating on this every so often? Currently sitting at 14300 and trying to decide if it’s worth it or not, just as a daily driver
Sponsored

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear, if you don’t mind updating on this every so often? Currently sitting at 14300 and trying to decide if it’s worth it or not, just as a daily driver
I sure will. If you're considering it, i would just do it. It's only $150 for a "piece of mind" if you want that. The sooner the better.

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter
Finished painting the ROAM stuff with POR15. It was a bit of a process and i got pretty high while painting (future note: VENTILATE THE GARAGE WHEN PAINTING) :) Cant wait to mount these up.....waiting on our backplates to come back from powdercoating. If POR works like my friends say - these will hold up excellent and we will NEVER have rust. I just used a few small/cheap paintbrushes to slop it on. Not perfect, but doesnt need to be. I was able to get nearly everywhere, even in the back/under sides.

Process (Per PORs instructions):

I do plan to do the underside of our JLs and each bumper/armor we get.

IMG_4686.JPG
IMG_4687.JPG
IMG_4688.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG

Curious, how much of each gallon did it take to finish your side steps?

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, how much of each gallon did it take to finish your side steps?
If i were to guess, i would say a pint for a 4dr set would be more than needed. You could prob get away with 1/2 pint or those smaller sizes that they sell.....cant remember the size cans that they offer, but i found them to be the cheapest on Amazon.

BTW - love that avatar! :fist bump:

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My "outta work ass" had a good day with @BbyGrlJJ's Archangel yesterday! Mods all day! :rock:

Been waiting for a certain order of things to do: remove rails, remove factory spare carrier and apply stickers - before the ceramic coating! :turkey:

Someone else on there posted the "how to" link for me, so i basically followed that. It came out REAL nice - like glass, BUT it was brand new, so that helps. Hope this stuff helps to maintain that "newness".

Process followed -

I basically:
I love detailing (born in Detroit, so it's bred in me), so this was a fun process for me. FYI - i didnt even use 1/2 the bottle for 1 coat. I only did 1 coat, so this seems to go a long way.

EDIT: After some reading, i decided to add another Ceramic coat and then a layer of "Reload".
Process: Prep, coat1, cure overnight, coat2, cure overnight, reload.

Another EDIT: I read up on applying the "Reload" product, as there was a lot of concern around streaking.....not "Old School" streaking - waxing streaking :) Here's the process i used, which resulted in no streaks:

• Sprayed Reload directly onto surface - ONLY WORK WITH A SMALL 2x2 AREA! Do not spray in a concentrated area. Use "swooping" sprays, which will help spread the application, via spray bottle.
  • Used 2 microfiber (MF) towels to wipe and clear - this is where you take away the streaks. If you spread/ remove it hard with this step, you will have no streaks.
  • Used 2 different MF towels to ensure that all reload was removed.

IMG_4795.JPG

With the ceramic coating done, i installed the Teraflex Alpha Tire Carrier - https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-jlu-alpha-hd-adjustable-spare-tire-mounting-kit-complete-5x5

I love this thing so far (even though i dont have my spare on it yet). I intend to mount on my Mojito this weekend. Seems to be a good solution for aftermarket tire/wheel, while relocating the 3rd brake light and camera.

IMG_4796.JPG

Next, i added some rubber tubing to the fenders, to prevent small rocks from getting in the gaps. I think this design was terrible from FCA. I have already had rocks in there and it sucks to get them out. Followed this video - was easy -

Rubber tubing - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL4DI2E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Roll completed the entire Jeep and was really easy to install with a trim tool. I love the functionality/aesthetic look. I think it adds a nice subtle contrast.

IMG_4798.JPG

IMG_4797.JPG

Can there be any time left in the day for 1 more MOD - you're DAYUM right! MOAR LYTES!!!

I started at 8:30 at night and ended at 10:30, but these came out AWESOME and was done right: cowl mounted pod lights.

Before i start this section, a BIG shout out to my boy "Coop" in Cali. We started the MOAR LYTES campaign on our WK forum....always good to have MOAR. Will hopefully see him again, but with a JL. :rock::fist bump:

Another product from our friends @Diode Dynamics. We chose their mounts because we liked the idea of the mount being a little further away from the body, so we could clean/wax under them AND these particular mounts also allow for SYDE LYTES to be mounted to the same mount, which will come in handy :)

Cowl Mount - https://www.diodedynamics.com/2018-2019-jeep-jl-wrangler-cowl-mount-led-brackets.html

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

Pod LYTES - we have always been a fan of Rigid. We know that they're priced high, but we've NEVER had an issue with them. They have been consistently great on output and durability, so we stuck with them. For our cowl PODs, we chose the D-SS Pros, in driving pattern. We liked the idea of some light being projected out to the SYDE.

Pod LYTES - https://www.rigidindustries.com/d-ss-series-d-ss-series.html

Quickly - i big THANKS to FCA for making the AUX switches the way they are. I have manually wired fuse blocks, relays and rocker switches in the past and THIS IS SO MUCH EASIER!

To install, i chopped up the wiring harness that was supplied.

For all wire, i used 1/4" heat shrink tubing - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY75XQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used this awesome/cheap wire loom, that matched the Archangel's color theme :rock: - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VR7ZQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All connections were either soldered or crimped, with various heat shrink tubing covering all connections.

I used a small piece of 3/8" shrink tube at the end, to hold the wire sleeve in place. Came out nice!

Driver side:
IMG_0419.JPG

Here's how i routed the wire on the drivers side:
IMG_4805.JPG

Through the engine bay:
IMG_4807.JPG

Met up with the other LYTE, which i connected both LYTES (on 1 end) into a single power/ground on the other:
IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

How i ran through to the power/ground:
The larger connection ended up fitting right under the pinch seam brace, so that was nice :)

For reference, i tapped into AUX3, since it had a lower amperage. Used this vid for reference -

IMG_4810.JPG

Final product:
IMG_4811.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG

They do not have any obstruction from the cabin. You barely even know their there:
IMG_4817.JPG

LOVE the way these turned out. Will get some night shots tonight:like::fist bump:

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Monkey see, monkey do: did the same stuff to mine:
  • Ceramic coating
  • Fender rubber tubing
  • Cowl POD LYTES
IMG_4820.jpg
IMG_4821.JPG
IMG_4822.JPG
IMG_4823.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG
IMG_4826.JPG
IMG_4827.JPG

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Going to beat @4xnaz to his NYTE shots ;) :fist bump:

1st pic with headlights only
2nd pic with headlights & PODs

They seem to go about 80-100yds, comparable to my older Rigid Dually D2s, but wider. They're not a LYTE bar, but that's not my expectation. I do like these.

IMG_4829.JPG
IMG_4830.JPG

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Going to beat @4xnaz to his NYTE shots ;) :fist bump:

1st pic with headlights only
2nd pic with headlights & PODs

They seem to go about 80-100yds, comparable to my older Rigid Dually D2s, but wider. They're not a LYTE bar, but that's not my expectation. I do like these.

IMG_4829.JPG
IMG_4830.JPG
Damn you!!!! LOL.

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just got her back from the shop from re-gearing and new wheels/tires mounted. An early pic, but more to come soon. Love it!! 2nd pic is compared to her stock (for now) :)
@BbyGrlJJ is NEXT!

IMG_4833.JPG
IMG_4835.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Oooooo Looks amazing! Did you gear to 5:13?
Thank you! I did. It's my first re-gear, but definitely notice the difference in weight and diameter. Still feels a little sluggish....that might just be a 6sp thing. I have not applied my Tazer yet, so that may help as well. Havent really had time with it yet....just drove it home and was excited :)

xavier296

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SG JLUR, 13 Porsche 911
Occupation
US Navy
For the foam tubing: Did you buy the solid cord or the tubing? I bought the tubing, and using the same video you posted, installed it on my JLU. The tubing folded inwards though and didn't stay round, making it look bad. I removed it because of the looks. Did I try to push it in too far?

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For the foam tubing: Did you buy the solid cord or the tubing? I bought the tubing, and using the same video you posted, installed it on my JLU. The tubing folded inwards though and didn't stay round, making it look bad. I removed it because of the looks. Did I try to push it in too far?
I bought the tubing....actually didnt know there was solid core - curious as to how that would hold up (based off of others comments about this stuff). The tubing didnt seem to push it for me. When i pushed it in with my trim tool, i was pushing the tops and bottoms, not the middle. Not sure if that's a difference between us or not.

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@ROAM having issues installing your rivnuts for our frame rails. I emailed you. Wanted to get your attention. Not really pleased with the rivnut instructions or section of the install. Help please.

xavier296

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SG JLUR, 13 Porsche 911
Occupation
US Navy
Thanks for the answer on the tubing. I'll try again...

On the roam question, I just installed my frame mounted slider steps, and I did not use the rivnuts. They still gave them to me, but there were brackets included that removed the rivnut requirement. I was glad since I had seen all the rivnut nightmare discussions.
Sponsored