Sponsored

What would you do with a 10k budget on a up?

h20123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL sport s 2door, 18 ram 4x4
Hey guys just recently bought a 2 door jl sport s currently stock and thinking what I want. So I pose the question to you guys, what would you do under 10k total? Goal is nothing insane off road but a competent off roaring rig and just a cool looking machine.

I’m thinking something like the mopar lift, 35 inch tires, new fenders and fender liners, new bumpers with winch, some armor, led lights and a light bar. I don’t know what else.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I think that sounds like a really good plan, have you priced those components out yet?

If I were in your shoes I’d probably do it incrementally starting with the winch and just gradually adding stuff that I discover a need for.

If I had that kind of money allocated to upgrading my Jeep I would do upgrades more geared towards overlanding and camping but that’s just more where my interests lie.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Are you doing the work yourself? 10k is a lot of money but gets ate up quick.

If no labor,

3k for Rubi take out axles
2k for Rubi take off wheels and new 37s
2-2500 for lift
500 sliders/rails
500 misc
2k front/rear bumper and winch

Brett

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm still confused why people think their "basic" Jeep can't do anything? Your Sport will scare the hell out of you! Try doing the trail stuff you want, then add from there. A winch is always an excellent option. I like the plan of making it look cool. That's why we get Jeeps:like:

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Are you doing the work yourself? 10k is a lot of money but gets ate up quick.

If no labor,

3k for Rubi take out axles
2k for Rubi take off wheels and new 37s
2-2500 for lift
500 sliders/rails
500 misc
2k front/rear bumper and winch

Brett
Trade it and get a Rubi?

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’d start w this ... first $20.

FE7EB4F4-0049-4B4B-A600-9EA3AF425D22.jpeg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Trade it and get a Rubi?
A lot of folks will get the sport with plans of replacing the axles and transfer case to begin their build. They don’t want to pay the Rubi premium when they are pulling out the stuff they paid extra for. But for 10k you can build a very capable rig out of a sport or any Jeep for that matter. I like the take out axles because it takes care of the gears, lockers and stronger axles all at once for a great price. 37s on 3.45 gears are not ideal and there’s about 2k for a regear. The take off wheels are approx $100 each and look great imo, also a cheap way to get the wheels and spend the rest on tires. If a Rubi is a 10k premium, this build would get you passed a Rubi in performance and capabilities for less money

Brett

OP
OP

h20123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually went back and forth between sport s and rubi.

Came down to preference really. Don’t like the rubicon stickers, don’t like the red dash, didn’t want leather. For some reason painted fenders never appealed to me either. I figured I would just spend the $ making a sport that was unique rather than take a stock rubicon. To each there own though.

Kicking myself mine doesn’t have the anti slip diff though, for a couple hundred bucks that’s a good deal.

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
since your sport can do anything off road that you seem like you are going to do my opinion would be

- lift - you can save some money and go diff brand then mopar - last I looked their lift is like 2500$ and if your looking to just raise your jeep up I wouldn't go anything crazy expensive)
-35 tires - might need to regear for support if so as someone else mentioned above rubi take offs
- trailer (pending on lift style) - this was my first purchase just cause I get the most out of it
- bumpers + winch - save money and don't do winch if you don't think you will ever use it or save it for last
- fenders
- if anything left over some sort of anti spin or a rear locker

my last 2cents - start with the things you know you want and will love the most no matter what people say to do first or last even myself - your rig your way

I personally wouldn't do armor unless you love the look of it - if you were going to go more serious offload then I would say to get some underbelly protection but that does not seem what your are looking for.

Edit - for the things you don't like about the rubi you could have easily replaced for little to no charge - stickers come off - most would trade you carbon fiber dash for red dash - you can get cloth in a rubi - but to each their own and as long as your happy!

Dan

OP
OP

h20123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this is my first jeep and my first real experience with off roading so not going crazy right off the bat. I don't plan on dropping 10k this instant, I'd build it just a little at a time. Was curious what could be done with a budget around there

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I actually went back and forth between sport s and rubi.

Came down to preference really. Don’t like the rubicon stickers, don’t like the red dash, didn’t want leather. For some reason painted fenders never appealed to me either. I figured I would just spend the $ making a sport that was unique rather than take a stock rubicon. To each there own though.

Kicking myself mine doesn’t have the anti slip diff though, for a couple hundred bucks that’s a good deal.
Stickers come off, leather is optional, painted fenders are optional. You’re going to end up spending more on a sport to get close to rubicon performance.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
If I had 10k to spend on a sport, I would buy front and rear bumpers, fenders, a nicer winch than I have need for, wheel spacers, 35x12.50 tires, some nice aftermarket 17” wheels, takeoff rubicon suspension parts, a few new guns, and a nice date with my wife.

OP
OP

h20123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well there’s no point in arguing whether I should have gone with a rubi, the Jeep is bought and sitting in my garage.

The build a sport or buy a rubi debate seems to be covered a lot already in the forums. Ehh whatever I wanted a cheaper platform out of the box with more money left over to customize.

Keep in mind I’m not planning on building it totally out this second, just looking for ideas for plan for upgrades as I own it

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Well there’s no point in arguing this, Jeep has been bought and sitting in my driveway
Well, it could be argued that you could spend it on the trade in, but we don’t really know much about your Jeep, or what you intend to use it for. Pavement pounding, rock crawling, mudding, dunes racing, the builds could be way different.
Sponsored