Sponsored

Any options out there for a more complete steering upgrades?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Do you like it (king)?
Can’t tell a difference between the two. Both perform great. The fox was very difficult to source due to being sold out and just wanted another option to order. For the money, I’d stay with fox but the king does look good

Brett
Sponsored

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I am ready to move to my next upgrades.

What I think I'll need are:

1> Front Track Bar
2> Rear Track Bar
3> Tie-Rod
4> Drag-Link
5> Steering Stabilizer

Any Suggestions?

What problems are you experiencing with your JL currently that would necessitate the replacement/upgrade of the components you've listed?

Specifically, while we've offered a complete steering geometry upgrade kit since May of 2018, its not something that we recommend installing unless you're presently experiencing one or more of the following steering related issues:

01. You've installed a 3.5" or higher lift kit and need a replacement aftermarket trackbar to center the front and/or rear axles.

02. You are currently running 37" tires or larger, or some sort of extremely heavy 35" tire package, and after alignment, are experiencing both steering drift AND a transient steering pull in one direction or another, necessitating an uprated steering stabilizer.

03. You are currently experiencing some sort of steering wobble, and after diagnosis of all of the ball joints in the front suspension already to not be at fault, necessitating an uprated steering stabilizer.

04. During or after alignment, you are experiencing some sort of alignment spec deviation that you are unable to correct with the stock components, necessitating a set of aftermarket adjustable control arms.

05. You have installed a 3.5" or higher lift kit and the wheels are no longer centered in the wheel wells and to gain additional clearance, a set of aftermarket adjustable control arms are needed.

If you're not experiencing any of the above conditions, in my opinion, "upgrading" your steering related components may not result in a noticeable improvement to your driving experience (assuming that the kit was engineered correctly and was also installed correctly). While we offer a complete steering geometry kit, we do not actively market our kit because its meant to be a supporting component to something like either our JL Long Arm Suspension System or our JL Coilover Conversion System, either of which are going to be a fairly involved installation. To clarify, if you have a bone stock JL and are running 33's or even 35's on the stock rims, installing one of our JL Steering Geometry Kits or for that matter anyone else's will result in a JL that does not drive any differently vs stock. So in my opinion, I would recommend upgrading your steering related components only until after you've started experiencing some sort of an issue that can not be corrected with the stock components or have already maxed out the adjustments on the stock steering components. That and because these are all wear and tear items we're talking about so getting the maximum usage out of your stock components before replacement will probably be the most cost effective path...

However, if you are experiencing any of the above issues, our JL Steering Geometry Kit will provide you with the following:

ROAM - JL Drag Link Flip Kit.jpg
ROAM - JL Steering Geometry Kit.jpg

The ROAM JL Steering Geometry Kit : includes the ROAM JL Drag Link Flip Kit, ROAM JL Front Trackbar Relocation Kit and the ROAM JL Front Track Bar

Instead of talking about the boring stuff like how we're using DOM chromoly or HD oversized forged rod ends lets talk about the differences:

- No bump stop extensions needed - high clearance drag link and track bar will clear frame rails even when installed on a stock height JL under full articulation and suspension movement. Will not reduce available suspension travel unlike other track bars that do not account for frame rail clearance. Does not require any bump stop extensions - all needed clearance vs the frame rails is built in already.

- Raised roll center height designed to work as a system. Tested to be perfectly parallel pivot to pivot between the drag link and the track bar.

- Adjustable heavy duty track bar that curves at the very end so it can be installed flipped upside down in case you're going back to stock. Compatible with the stock mounting location as well as the trackbar relocation bracket.

- No cutting or welding required for installation.

- JL steering knuckle drill jig - why freehand drill something that can easily go wrong when a jig can make things a lot easier and safer? Our JL steering knuckle drill jig bolts to the steering knuckle so that when you drill the steering knuckle to reverse the taper you'll always be centered and the alignment will always be straight.

ROAM - JL Drag Link Flip Kit - Drill Jig.jpg

ROAM JL @EJS 2019 008.jpg

ROAM JL Steering Geometry Kit on CTI ramp, EJS 2019 1920x1280.jpg

Here's an example of a JL equipped with our JL Steering Geometry Kit on a CTI ramp. Without building the necessary clearance into both the drag link and the track bar, by installing a drag link flip kit the drag will will interfere with the passenger side frame rail. Our JL Steering Geometry Kit is engineered to not only include the necessary clearance vs the frame rail so you don't need any bump stop extensions, we also use CNC bent .250 wall chromoly DOM tubing for all of our track bars and drag links (1.75" .250 wall and then 2" .250 wall) for the ultimate in strength and structural rigidity (for the ultimate steering precision).

If you do not require a flipped drag link, in my opinion the Metal Cloak track bars are a great alternative as well. We won't hesitate to recommend any of their stuff to anyone as well.

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
What problems are you experiencing with your JL currently that would necessitate the replacement/upgrade of the components you've listed?
Tara,

I think you will find that there is a growing number of JL owners that are looking for upgraded steering components even if they are not lifted. The stock components (tie rod, drag link, track bar, steering stabilizer) are barely adequate for stock size tires on a Sport or Sahara. Even so, brand new Wranglers with no miles have been known to drift and wobble due to the inferior components (not to mention some other issues that need to be addressed like software updates for the power steering and steering boxes). They are also wearing out prematurely and have gone through numerous updates on all of these parts (track bars with soft bushings, drag links with ends that wear out prematurely, tie rods that flex and cause wobble, stabilizers that fail - with multiple part updates, etc). Instead of trying get the stock inferior parts updated with less inferior stock parts, many owners are opting to upgrade and be done with it once and for all.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
And the first line of the OP’s signature shows they have a lift:
“2018 JLU Rubicon Black on EVO Enforcer Overland 2.5" w/King & Rancho Spring isolator”

2.5 inch lift on a Rubi, I think everyone should be looking at upgrading steering. Although I’d probably put front lower control arms before a tie rod to fix caster.

If you’ve ever picked up the stock track bar, you quickly realize it needs to be replaced. ;)

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you want an install and review video of the Synergy tie rod and dlink, [Banned Site] YouTube video

I have MetalCloak front and rear trackbars, great products, I recommend them. [Banned Site] (Eddie) has Rancho trackbars, he has videos on those as well. I had the Steersmarts front trackbar, but it was too big, was too close to my MetalCloak FAD skid plate.

On another thread, Synergy described their front trackbar, and it sounds unique and interesting, adjuster on frame side instead of axle side, and no axle mount grinding.

When you do your front track bar, add this frame side reinforcement bracket too.
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/new-products/rustys-front-track-bar-mount-brace-jl-wrangler.html
Thank you for the mention! Don't forget, we've got our Sector Shaft Brace coming out soon as well.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/can-anyone-guess-what-this-is.24576/

Sponsored

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito

Specifically, while we've offered a complete steering geometry upgrade kit since May of 2018, its not something that we recommend installing unless you're presently experiencing one or more of the following steering related issues:

01. You've installed a 3.5" or higher lift kit and need a replacement aftermarket trackbar to center the front and/or rear axles.

02. You are currently running 37" tires or larger, or some sort of extremely heavy 35" tire package, and after alignment, are experiencing both steering drift AND a transient steering pull in one direction or another, necessitating an uprated steering stabilizer.

03. You are currently experiencing some sort of steering wobble, and after diagnosis of all of the ball joints in the front suspension already to not be at fault, necessitating an uprated steering stabilizer.

04. During or after alignment, you are experiencing some sort of alignment spec deviation that you are unable to correct with the stock components, necessitating a set of aftermarket adjustable control arms.

05. You have installed a 3.5" or higher lift kit and the wheels are no longer centered in the wheel wells and to gain additional clearance, a set of aftermarket adjustable control arms are needed.

If you're not experiencing any of the above conditions, in my opinion, "upgrading" your steering related components may not result in a noticeable improvement to your driving experience (assuming that the kit was engineered correctly and was also installed correctly). While we offer a complete steering geometry kit, we do not actively market our kit because its meant to be a supporting component to something like either our JL Long Arm Suspension System or our JL Coilover Conversion System, either of which are going to be a fairly involved installation. To clarify, if you have a bone stock JL and are running 33's or even 35's on the stock rims, installing one of our JL Steering Geometry Kits or for that matter anyone else's will result in a JL that does not drive any differently vs stock. So in my opinion, I would recommend upgrading your steering related components only until after you've started experiencing some sort of an issue that can not be corrected with the stock components or have already maxed out the adjustments on the stock steering components. That and because these are all wear and tear items we're talking about so getting the maximum usage out of your stock components before replacement will probably be the most cost effective path...

However, if you are experiencing any of the above issues, our JL Steering Geometry Kit will provide you with the following:

The ROAM JL Steering Geometry Kit : includes the ROAM JL Drag Link Flip Kit, ROAM JL Front Trackbar Relocation Kit and the ROAM JL Front Track Bar

Instead of talking about the boring stuff like how we're using DOM chromoly or HD oversized forged rod ends lets talk about the differences:

- No bump stop extensions needed - high clearance drag link and track bar will clear frame rails even when installed on a stock height JL under full articulation and suspension movement. Will not reduce available suspension travel unlike other track bars that do not account for frame rail clearance. Does not require any bump stop extensions - all needed clearance vs the frame rails is built in already.

- Raised roll center height designed to work as a system. Tested to be perfectly parallel pivot to pivot between the drag link and the track bar.

- Adjustable heavy duty track bar that curves at the very end so it can be installed flipped upside down in case you're going back to stock. Compatible with the stock mounting location as well as the trackbar relocation bracket.

- JL steering knuckle drill jig - why freehand drill something that can easily go wrong when a jig can make things a lot easier and safer? Our JL steering knuckle drill jig bolts to the steering knuckle so that when you drill the steering knuckle to reverse the taper you'll always be centered and the alignment will always be straight.

Here's an example of a JL equipped with our JL Steering Geometry Kit on a CTI ramp. Without building the necessary clearance into both the drag link and the track bar, by installing a drag link flip kit the drag will will interfere with the passenger side frame rail. Our JL Steering Geometry Kit is engineered to not only include the necessary clearance vs the frame rail so you don't need any bump stop extensions, we also use CNC bent .250 wall chromoly DOM tubing for all of our track bars and drag links (1.75" .250 wall and then 2" .250 wall) for the ultimate in strength and structural rigidity (for the ultimate steering precision).

If you do not require a flipped drag link, in my opinion the Metal Cloak track bars are a great alternative as well. We won't hesitate to recommend any of their stuff to anyone as well.

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM
I can attest to this set up. I have the Flip drag link steering geometry kit from Roam and its flawless. I just drove across country and back (about 6k miles) with wheeling in between the whole time. Never had bump steer, wandering, death wobble. Of any kind. Even with almost 6 inches of lift on 37 inch MT, it tracks dead straight any speed on the highway. And I put my jeep through its paces no joke and then jump right back on the hwy. Sometimes without airing back up for a while lol. (We've all been there).
They took into consideration much more than average with all the clearance it provides for flex without bumpstops. No one else does this. Also with the little things like including a custom made drill jig for a flawless install. And its beefy as heck!!!! Highly recommended...

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Commercial Project Superintendent

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM
I currently have the 3.5" Metal Cloak lift sitting on 38's. I bought the Steersmarts flip draglink, track bar relocation bracket and tie rod assembly back in January (already had the Metal Cloak adjustable track bar so did not by theirs). Finally got installed a couple of months ago but had not got a chance to take it out and get it fully articulated tell earlier this month, even with the 3" of bump stop the flip link hits the frame. Did some searching on here and apparently that is a common problem with the SS and MC 3.5" lift. My original plan was to do a fender chop or new fenders and pull some bump stops, obviously wont work with the SS. From what I am gathering from you if I ran your flip link then I could pull bump stops if my tires would not hit the fenders, is that correct. What components would I need to swap out to do your flip link?

I want to be clear for others that read this, the Steersmart is very well built, the Tie Rod assembly is way better built and beefier then stock and I will not be replacing it. The no drill flip link is great, super easy install. The steering was night and day from stock! If I wasn't trying to get more articulation I would not consider a change. I might just by a new service end for the SS to go back to bottom mount and add a Griffin X StDeering Attenuator to help with bump steer.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 4.5" lift 37"s
Hi Roam. I want to purchase just your flipped drag link. I already have a raised track bar bracket/trackbar. I went out your website and it said the full kit was out of stock. Is there any way I can buy just the draglink flip. No one else seems to make one with the bend to clear the frame and I love the design.

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 4.5" lift 37"s
Thanks Chris, I have also looked at the synergy Drag link, I have your Track bar/pinion shaft brace, wheel spacers and a few other parts and everything is top notch. in this particular application I like the Roam Drag link for its bend to clear the frame without bumpstop. since the roam website says out of stock for the entire kit and on top of that just the bar is not listed as sold serrate I will probably end up going with the synergy and just running the 3" bumpstop. can I ask you what the actual change in height of your flip is? I think it typically moves the pivot point up about 3" but not sure. I am running 4" lift. The strange thin is that my Teraflex axle side track bar bracket made for a 4-4.5 lift only raised the bar end up 2" so right now my track bar drops about 3' from frame to axel and my drag link drops about 5". A flip will get the drag link flatter with the ground but I also do not want the knuckle end of the drag link to end up too high.

Sponsored

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Chris, I have also looked at the synergy Drag link, I have your Track bar/pinion shaft brace, wheel spacers and a few other parts and everything is top notch. in this particular application I like the Roam Drag link for its bend to clear the frame without bumpstop. since the roam website says out of stock for the entire kit and on top of that just the bar is not listed as sold serrate I will probably end up going with the synergy and just running the 3" bumpstop. can I ask you what the actual change in height of your flip is? I think it typically moves the pivot point up about 3" but not sure. I am running 4" lift. The strange thin is that my Teraflex axle side track bar bracket made for a 4-4.5 lift only raised the bar end up 2" so right now my track bar drops about 3' from frame to axel and my drag link drops about 5". A flip will get the drag link flatter with the ground but I also do not want the knuckle end of the drag link to end up too high.
So, you have a few things going on. I believe the Teraflex track bar relocation bracket is not intended for high steer, but rather so you can continue using a stock length track bar since they don't include one in the kit. You will want a high steer specific track bar relocation bracket when flipping your drag link. Flipping the drag link does move it more than 3", but it isn't 1:1 to the track bar since the bars are different lengths. We move the track bar up a little over 3" as well, but our bracket is not out yet.
Your 4" lift probably requires at least 3" of bump stop spacing to prevent the coil springs from going into coil bind. If you are not running any bump stop spacers, you are just using your coil springs as bump stop spacers instead. So, a drag link flip requiring 3" of bump stop spacing is appropriate for lifts over 3" because you generally already have these bump stop limitations from your coil springs and tire size. Even if you are not running bump stop spacers, your up travel is being limited.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 4.5" lift 37"s
That make complete sense as even the teralex track bar bracket listed for 4.5" of lift only moves the mounting point up 2" but also just a hair towards the driver side, this did perfectly center the axle with the stock length track bar. since then I have added an adjustable track bar. I agree that my axle end of my tack bar needs to come up about another inch and I would love to try your bracket as soon as I can get my hands on one. My thinking is that the flip on its own until your bracket comes out should still be an improvement because even if it is 4'" that should put it much closer to "flat" and only the same amount off of parallel with the track bar as it is now but on the high side until I can procure a taller axle side track bar bracket.

as for bumps I am running 2" bump stop extensions along with metal cloak progressive bumpers that seem to be about 1" longer than the stock white rubbers but they have more give. The entire goal of beefing up the the steering is to prepare for 40s that I will need more bump for anyway having the drag link come that close to the frame makes me nervous but I guess with right bump stop it can not hit.

I will be putting in my order for your flip kit shortly. any idea when the track bar bracket will be available? need someone to test one or shoot an install video LOL

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Our front and rear track bar brackets should be out and shipping before the end of the year.

If it is at all possible, pull your coil springs and cycle your suspension once everything is installed to make sure you don't have any interference issues and to make sure you have the correct amount of bump stop spacers installed. When running components from different manufacturers, you sometimes just have to measure clearances the hard way to make sure everything works and fits properly. It pays for itself later by not having issues on the trails. If you have adjustable shock mounts, like we make for the rear, you may even be able to adjust them to optimize your wheel travel.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hi Roam. I want to purchase just your flipped drag link. I already have a raised track bar bracket/trackbar. I went out your website and it said the full kit was out of stock. Is there any way I can buy just the draglink flip. No one else seems to make one with the bend to clear the frame and I love the design.
Good luck getting anything from them. Tons of development with no actual product to sell.
Sponsored