Sponsored

Wrangler JL Sahara Manual Transmission + 35" Tires? Gearing / power?

ThePolishDude

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
I have searched quite a bit and cannot seem to find much information. Has anyone with the manual transmission and 3.45 gears moved to 35 inch tires and a lift. I am trying to find information regarding loss of power and if the stock gearing can handle it. I mainly use the car as a daily driver and currently like the way the stock set up runs. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to find many people with the manual that are not in the rubicon. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I have searched quite a bit and cannot seem to find much information. Has anyone with the manual transmission and 3.45 gears moved to 35 inch tires and a lift. I am trying to find information regarding loss of power and if the stock gearing can handle it. I mainly use the car as a daily driver and currently like the way the stock set up runs. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to find many people with the manual that are not in the rubicon. Thanks in advance.
Going up to 35s isn't that big of a jump from the factory tires. You might notice slightly slower acceleration but it'll do fine. Now if you're going bigger than that you might want to consider regearing but for a daily driver it's good.

OP
OP

ThePolishDude

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
Going up to 35s isn't that big of a jump from the factory tires. You might notice slightly slower acceleration but it'll do fine. Now if you're going bigger than that you might want to consider regearing but for a daily driver it's good.

Thank you very much for the response. Very much appreciated.

Meatwad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
I coincidentally just put 35s on my JL Sahara 4 door a few weeks ago and I'm running an Manual trans. I've noticed some lag in acceleration and the MPG has been down to around 16, but I love it. It has not felt like the Jeep is struggling when under heavy acceleration at all though and overall it feels really solid. Definitely recommend it if it is within your means.

IMG_9126.jpg

OP
OP

ThePolishDude

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
I coincidentally just put 35s on my JL Sahara 4 door a few weeks ago and I'm running an Manual trans. I've noticed some lag in acceleration and the MPG has been down to around 16, but I love it. It has not felt like the Jeep is struggling when under heavy acceleration at all though and overall it feels really solid. Definitely recommend it if it is within your means.

IMG_9126.jpg
what lift and what size wheels did you put on it. I also have the soft top which helps save some weight over the hard top.

Sponsored

Meatwad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
what lift and what size wheels did you put on it. I also have the soft top which helps save some weight over the hard top.
I went with the Mopar lift and I am running 35" Wrangler Duratrac Tires and 7" Method MR302 Fat Five Wheels. I was able to find the lift on Ebay for just under $1000 and the tires/wheels I got from Tire Rack. The lift nets out to a bit more than 2 inches, and with the new wheels i'd say I probably netting around a 4-6 inch lift. Definitely very noticeable.

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
I went with the Mopar lift and I am running 35" Wrangler Duratrac Tires and 7" Method MR302 Fat Five Wheels. I was able to find the lift on Ebay for just under $1000 and the tires/wheels I got from Tire Rack. The lift nets out to a bit more than 2 inches, and with the new wheels i'd say I probably netting around a 4-6 inch lift. Definitely very noticeable.
Did you have to add adjustable track bars or are ok with the 35’s ?

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
I also got the 2" MOPAR lift with 35" tires, manual transmission. As @Meatwad said, I've definitely noticed the drop in acceleration, but it's manageable for my daily driving. However, if you live somewhere mountainous, it may be worth re-gearing. I plan to in a few months when I can afford it.

@Granizle, I didn't add adjustable track bars and haven't had any issues at all.

Meatwad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have to add adjustable track bars or are ok with the 35’s ?
I did not put in an adjustable track bar, but its on my list of future mods. I also did not regear, but I would be open to it. I've never been thrilled with the gearing of the MT tbh since 5th and 6th are almost meaningless if you actually want to accelerate.

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
I did not put in an adjustable track bar, but its on my list of future mods. I also did not regear, but I would be open to it. I've never been thrilled with the gearing of the MT tbh since 5th and 6th are almost meaningless if you actually want to accelerate.
Yeah no kidding, I had a 2 door JK 6 speed and I only got into 6th down hill lol.

Sponsored

Meatwad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah no kidding, I had a 2 door JK 6 speed and I only got into 6th down hill lol.
Yeah, its unfortunate that the manual trans feels like a bit of an afterthought, but with so few people buying it I suppose its a sign of the times. With where the hazard lights button is placed it took me a couple of weeks to stop accidentally bumping it and turning on my hazards in traffic whenever I shifted into 3rd. I guess I should just be happy that they at least offer it. :)

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I have 37s on my manual trans and 3.45s. I can only use 1st thru 4th. Lol I live in the mountains so I’m going with 5.13 gears to get a little more than stock performance because I tow frequently. For 35s it seems 4.56 is a good ratio for the manuals. (Just from what I’ve heard others say)

bllprk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WK CRD
I am running 35's on the stock 3.45. I'd say this. In town, hard to notice anything bad. I have to stay in second gear longer if I want to accelerate. Its really not bad in town.

On the highway. The only time I can use 5th gear is when I am above 75mph. If I want to cruise at 70, 4th gear is it. I actually traveled 6+ hours keeping it under 72 and averaged 20mpg.

That said, overall, it looses much of its zip. Its acceptable but just not as zippy as it should be.

Now, off road is where I have struggled. My goal is to take on the more extreme obstacles. In stock form, I really struggled to be able to say, cross a pile of logs. The jeep wants to drive too fast and there is no ability to just slowly crawl. I took some life out of my clutch on that obstacle.

I have since swapped my TC with a rubicon one. This was a drastic improvement for 4low. Much much better.

I want to swap axles next with rubicon axles. Main reason is if I re-gear my D30, I think I will snap it due to the Rubicon TC. I'll live with 4.10's but I think 4.56 is the sweet spot.

But my issues now, are more to do with rock climbing with a manual transmission, less with gearing.

marsheezi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S - Bright White
Build Thread
Link

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler JL Sahara Manual Transmission + 35" Tires? Gearing / power? IMG_9126
Nice ride. Very much reminds me of mine. What bumper is that?
Sponsored