Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t read thru the whole thread yet (I will) but one thing I don’t see mentioned on this page is wind.

Holy hell, realizing the importance wind plays in the perception of wander on the highway was eye-opening for me.
A strong cross-wind will **** your day up. And the part of Texas I live in has pretty strong winds sometimes.

Initially I thought I had a wander issue. I’d drift on the highway. I couldn’t tell how much wind there was because there aren’t many reference trees or bushes for me to see the wind, but after many miles driven at 0200-0400 in the morning when I know it’s calm out, the difference is night and day. One benefit of getting off work super late at night is driving when there’s no traffic and it’s usually calmer out with regards to the wind.

I would suggest to new JL owners: step two with your Jeep should be to try driving in calm weather and compare it to when it’s windy. (Step one is properly inflate your tires)
True Tanner. We're planning a road trip out your way and farther west in our JL this August. I remember how bad the winds were in our F-150, and I can just imagine how much worse it will be in a brick with four wheels. :rock:
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Really everyone complaining should be forced to drive an '80-96 Ford 1/2t or 3/4t

One day with TTB (Totally Twisted and Broke) and everything else will seem TIGHT

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Just anecdotal, but I received my Sport with 37# in the 31” C-rated tires. It required fairly constant small steering input to go straight.
Dropped it incrementally to 30#.
Tracked like a train.
Today I had 33” E-rated tires installed. Discount Tire inflated them to 40#, per spec.
It felt just like the OEM tires @ 37# on the 50 mile drive home.
I let it cool, and dropped pressure to 36#. I intend to follow the same airing down procedure with the new tires.
I’m inclined to think Es might be happy with more pressure, but we shall see.
I’m all but certain that overinflated tires cause wandering, though.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I do agree with this. Some people with the issues claim to be coming from previous Wranglers, but I take that kinda stuff on the internet with a grain of salt. People can easily lie and we'll never know.

I did NOT come from previous Wranglers. I came from a Chevy Cavalier and then a refreshed Cherokee. I really do think you have a point, OP. People expect Wranglers to steer like...any number of things except for Wranglers lol especially the people who never owned one before.

I have a 2018, btw - no issues from the beginning, but airing down is helpful in general.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
@JoeFromPA , I'm going to have to completely disagree with your analysis. There is clearly a mechanical problem with the steering boxes, track bar, control arm bushings/bolt size, etc. The box has already been revised from AC to AD. I have sampled many Jeeps on the lot, and some steering boxes are tight, while other have considerable backlash. The control arm bushing are imperial 9/16" but the bolts are 14 mm and full thread. This makes for a lot of slop. The front track bar bushings are too soft and the bar flexes too much. Not to mention finger tight ball joints and other assembly issues.

Sponsored

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I have an 18 JLUR that was manufactured in Jan 18. It now has 10k miles on it. Steering is much better than on my 13 two door JK Sport that had a 3.5" BDS lift and
35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grappler tires.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
While I agree with Joe (OP) about the tires having poor steering response, I won't discount other mechanical issues others have stated they have encountered.

The tires I'm used to putting on my trucks have been E rated and haven't had poor steering response. Granted the number of brands and sizes I have experience with is very limited.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Hi all,

I'm writing this thread to share some analysis and understanding of the real or perceived steering issues with the JL. I've seen videos showing how the steering wheel can be wiggled back and forth on the highway a solid 3-4" in each direction from center without any corresponding movement in the lane. I've seen threads and posts galore - but no solid analysis or shared understanding of what is real and what is imaginary. And the "issue" has varied wildly from some people having no issue to others having it substantially, to some people feeling it from the start to others feeling it later on. Some have "fixed" it with new wheels/tires, tire pressure adjustments, etc.

I'm writing this to try to share my experiences, my own understandings, and a careful analysis of the issue - real and perceived. I'll share why I think this is NOT a real issue, but an issue of perception. And what I think the reality is....

What is the perceived issue? The widespread claim is that there is excess play in the steering. Play is defined as movement of the steering wheel without corresponding movement in the wheel/tire. You can see this in videos of driving down the road at 45-50mph or faster moving the steering wheel off-center 3-4" in each direction and the vehicle tracks straight the whole time.

Let's analyze this in terms of mechanics of steering: There are 4 key components to steering and steering response. Mechanical components, alignment, tires themselves, and tire pressures.

Is there a mechanical component issue? In 2018 models, there were real steering issues from mechanical componentry - specifically weld failures in the track bar. When fixed or if the weld was done correctly, no issues mechanically. This impacted a modest number of 2018 and is now resolved.

I'm aware of no other proven mechanical component issues that impact multiple vehicles let alone a widespread JL steering mechanical component issue. And there's no known mechanical issue causing a dead on center feel in some vehicles and not others. Further, there's no real variance in building these from a steering component issue - so a mechanical issue makes no sense as to why some vehicles would feel this and others wouldn't

Is there an alignment issue? There are always some vehicles delivered with alignment issues. They get transported incorrectly and are pulled out of alignment or something happened along the way. It's rare but in mass produced instances you'll see it. And the vehicles impacted by this usually have distinct steering issues such as pulling in one direction - not play in the steering.

Is there an issue with the tires themselves? Ahh, now this is an interesting area. Note the complaint on the JL is how some vehicles experience this and others don't. And the JL offers AT LEAST 3 different tires - rubicon tires vs. AT tires available on sport/sahara vs. standard highway tires.

I'll come back to this but one more note - some folks indicate swapping tires has solved their play issues. This is another reason to think tires/tire construction come into play here.

Is there an issue with tire pressure? This is an easy one - yes. Delivered tire pressures vary wildly, are often incorrect, and impact ride quality and steering feel significantly. But how much this plays into perceptions of play is interesting - some owners claim reducing from ~44-50 PSI to ~34-38 PSI has resolved their issue.

Now back to the issue - or "Issue."

My experience is that I can create the same video with my jeep - wiggling the steering wheel 3-4" without my vehicle moving at speed - and yet this is NOT AN ISSUE.

The reason is steering response. If I move the steering wheel 3" to one side AND KEEP IT THERE the vehicle tracks perfectly.

Steering response is not the same thing as steering play. Play in the steering comes from "looseness" where movement of the wheel does not translate into movement of the tire. Steering response or response delay is due to compression of components in the system - suspension including the tire itself.

TL/DR? Bottom line is I think the evidence and stories to date support that the JL with particular tires and tire pressures have very slow steering response from on-center at speed. Some people this bothers, others it does not. If it bothers you, switching to a different tire and/or different tire pressure will likely allow you to get more steering response you seek. The way to test if this is the case is simple: turn the steering wheel and LEAVE IT there if it doesn't immediately turn. If your vehicle tracks predictably, you don't have any "issue" - you have slow steering response. The way to improve steering response is to reduce the amount of areas of compression (i.e. soft springs, struts, suspension bushings, and tire sidewall compression) that results in delayed response.

That's my analysis and theory based upon my ownership and ownership of many previous vehicles with great or slow steering response. As well as understanding of vehicle dynamics.
Hey! That was MY idea!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hi all,

I'm writing this thread to share some analysis and understanding of the real or perceived steering issues with the JL. I've seen videos showing how the steering wheel can be wiggled back and forth on the highway a solid 3-4" in each direction from center without any corresponding movement in the lane. I've seen threads and posts galore - but no solid analysis or shared understanding of what is real and what is imaginary. And the "issue" has varied wildly from some people having no issue to others having it substantially, to some people feeling it from the start to others feeling it later on. Some have "fixed" it with new wheels/tires, tire pressure adjustments, etc.

I'm writing this to try to share my experiences, my own understandings, and a careful analysis of the issue - real and perceived. I'll share why I think this is NOT a real issue, but an issue of perception. And what I think the reality is....

What is the perceived issue? The widespread claim is that there is excess play in the steering. Play is defined as movement of the steering wheel without corresponding movement in the wheel/tire. You can see this in videos of driving down the road at 45-50mph or faster moving the steering wheel off-center 3-4" in each direction and the vehicle tracks straight the whole time.

Let's analyze this in terms of mechanics of steering: There are 4 key components to steering and steering response. Mechanical components, alignment, tires themselves, and tire pressures.

Is there a mechanical component issue? In 2018 models, there were real steering issues from mechanical componentry - specifically weld failures in the track bar. When fixed or if the weld was done correctly, no issues mechanically. This impacted a modest number of 2018 and is now resolved.

I'm aware of no other proven mechanical component issues that impact multiple vehicles let alone a widespread JL steering mechanical component issue. And there's no known mechanical issue causing a dead on center feel in some vehicles and not others. Further, there's no real variance in building these from a steering component issue - so a mechanical issue makes no sense as to why some vehicles would feel this and others wouldn't

Is there an alignment issue? There are always some vehicles delivered with alignment issues. They get transported incorrectly and are pulled out of alignment or something happened along the way. It's rare but in mass produced instances you'll see it. And the vehicles impacted by this usually have distinct steering issues such as pulling in one direction - not play in the steering.

Is there an issue with the tires themselves? Ahh, now this is an interesting area. Note the complaint on the JL is how some vehicles experience this and others don't. And the JL offers AT LEAST 3 different tires - rubicon tires vs. AT tires available on sport/sahara vs. standard highway tires.

I'll come back to this but one more note - some folks indicate swapping tires has solved their play issues. This is another reason to think tires/tire construction come into play here.

Is there an issue with tire pressure? This is an easy one - yes. Delivered tire pressures vary wildly, are often incorrect, and impact ride quality and steering feel significantly. But how much this plays into perceptions of play is interesting - some owners claim reducing from ~44-50 PSI to ~34-38 PSI has resolved their issue.

My experience is that I can create the same video with my jeep - wiggling the steering wheel 3-4" without my vehicle moving at speed - and yet this is NOT AN ISSUE.

The reason is steering response. If I move the steering wheel 3" to one side AND KEEP IT THERE the vehicle tracks perfectly.

Steering response is not the same thing as steering play. Play in the steering comes from "looseness" where movement of the wheel does not translate into movement of the tire. Steering response or response delay is due to compression of components in the system - suspension including the tire itself.

TL/DR? Bottom line is I think the evidence and stories to date support that the JL with particular tires and tire pressures have very slow steering response from on-center at speed. Some people this bothers, others it does not. If it bothers you, switching to a different tire and/or different tire pressure will likely allow you to get more steering response you seek. The way to test if this is the case is simple: turn the steering wheel and LEAVE IT there if it doesn't immediately turn. If your vehicle tracks predictably, you don't have any "issue" - you have slow steering response. The way to improve steering response is to reduce the amount of areas of compression (i.e. soft springs, struts, suspension bushings, and tire sidewall compression) that results in delayed response.

That's my analysis and theory based upon my ownership and ownership of many previous vehicles with great or slow steering response. As well as understanding of vehicle dynamics.
I would love to drive someone’s “problem” Jeep to compare. Mine is perfect (for a Wrangler). Does it steer like my Yukon? Nope. Can I pass a semi one handed at 80 Mph? Yep.

Cogent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2-Door JL
Hi all,

JoefromPA’s “careful analysis” seems to dismiss a lot of disappointed new JL owners. Are they really just imagining that their new Jeep Wranglers wander on the highway, requiring countless small steering adjustments just to keep the vehicle in its lane? NHTSA has received over 500 complaints and counting, specifically about the JL’s erratic steering from folks who, like myself, are experiencing something very troubling about the new Wrangler’s steering, especially at speeds exceeding 50 mph. Most of my driving for the past 17 years has been done in either a Wrangler 2-Dr. Sport X or, more recently, a 2014 2-Dr. Sahara, not to mention lots of other makes and models going back to the mid 1950’s. And not until I got behind the wheel of my new 2019 2-Dr. Wrangler JL Sport S have I ever experienced the need for such concentration on steering wheel control. The slightest inattentiveness on the wheel and I’m drifting into someone else’s lane, then over-correcting, then trying to thread the needle to make this Jeep act normal. And try as I may to learn a whole new set of steering instincts, I just can’t figure this one out. It’s like there is an intermediary brain between mine and the steering mechanism of this vehicle causing a disconnect between my usual steering habits and the behavior of the vehicle. It’s not my imagination, and as a retired forensic scientist, I’ve spent most of my life performing real analyses to determine the facts vs. “perception”. And my Wrangler’s cold tire pressure is adjusted to the manufacturer’s specification at 36 PSI, for those who think tire pressure variances of a few pounds can push a vehicle all over the road like a 30mph wind.

The internet is awash with peoples’ concerns about this steering problem. FCA is starting to feel the pressure and putting out some trial fixes to address what will become a major firestorm when JL drivers start wandering out of their lanes and crashing into other vehicles. In the meantime they can take comfort in Jeep Wrangler loyalists like Joe who either expect folks to put up or shut up when it comes to Wranglers, or overlook all the shortcomings that, for some folks, contribute to the Wrangler’s uniqueness and appeal. But when it comes to a fundamental safety issue like erratic steering, the maker, FCA, will have to acknowledge the problem and come up with a remedy.

And a last word about Joe’s “analysis” and its focus on perception, mechanics, alignment, tires, etc. Missing in the analysis is the most probable culprit. Unlike previous Wrangler models, the new JL employs an electric-hydraulic power steering system for the first time. “This motor works with an adaptive engine control unit to monitor steering speed, steering wheel angle and vehicle speed. This allows for variable amounts of steering assistance to be applied when more is needed at low speeds, such as when off road, or less when at highway speeds.” Some JL owners are already reporting that reflashing the PCM in their new Wrangler has eliminated the steering problem in their JL’s. To the best of my knowledge FCA has not issued any bulletins recommending this.

Rather than carelessly dismissing thousands of complaints by serious owners of new Wrangler JL’s, and conjecturing about how time-tested steering linkage designs and components have suddenly failed us, perhaps we should focus on what’s new about the JL’s steering system. Thousands of drivers out there are sincerely disappointed in the new Wranglers’ steering performance, and I’m hoping there’s an effective and comprehensive software or firmware fix somewhere down the road, similar to that developed for the FCA 9-speed automatic transmission a few years back. I respect Joe’s desire to defend the Wrangler, a venerable and unique vehicle, and I’m hoping FCA will make it right.

Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Well, Not sure about the 'perceived' part. 1) Jeep has acknowledged the problem. They have a fix that includes a 'shimmy shock' and new control arms. Actually, they will be installed this Tuesday. 2) There are many reports to the national highway safety relating to this problem, 3) Jeep is not questioning if the problem is actual, they say yes, and they will fix it....so, not sure where you are getting the 'perceived' part from. 4) Star Online Publications S1819000003 and S1819000004 are the two FSA case numbers.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Wandering is not a perceived issue, it’s very, very real. While not everyone has it, and some of your thought process is solid many have tried all the solutions listed to no avail.
It’s not always loose steering, it’s a vehicle that starts to migrate to the next lane. No reason or warning. Sometimes left, sometimes right. Not weather dependent although wind makes it more susceptible. Not a death wobble, but just as dangerous when your at 70 mph with a semi next to you and the Jeep decides to stroll over. The constant correction is both frustrating and makes driving a chore. Wish I never experienced this the way other owners have.
I can’t arbitrarily switch tires since I’m not gambling $1000.00 as a possible solution. It would be a cheap investment for a dealer to try. Far less then replacing gear boxes and struts.
Would be an interesting survey to see the type of tires those with this issue have.

Not an imaginary...or Jeep thing that people should just get over. As one that drives a van often, or an older Chevy SUV I’m not coming to the Jeep from a luxury vehicle. But I can attest both those steer 10 times better then the Jeep.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
While some of the points are valid, and do cover many of the problems, I doubt it covers everyone. I do agree some people get overly paranoid about problems they read on the internet, and think they have it. Its like reading WebMD and then going to a doctor because you know what disease you have. But some people are complaining about problems developing on stock Jeeps after thousands miles.

I don't have problems with my 2019, and I hope none develop. (At least since my tire pressure went from 44psi to 37psi).

To deduce that because you don't have a problem after a couple of months and a couple of thousand miles in your JL, so no one else must, is extremely speculative and narrow minded at best. Especially if you haven't even driven any of the problem Jeeps.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
All - Just put new Michelin tires on 2013 Sahara UL. 69K miles or so. Air Pressure is set to 35#, checked. The vehicle wanders more now then it did with the almost bald old Michelins on it. They are the exact tire I used before. I believe I have the recommended 500 miles on them so they are supposed to be run in. Have service appoint this Thursday and they are supposed to check the steering components for me. It did not wander this much before. Are the new tires softer, going to say yes, would that make a difference, yes. Does it drive better with the new tires, if feels better ride wise, but the necessary steering attention needed has got me concerned. Yes, I know this is not a sports car, it's a jeep, it's just different than before. This is also a perception, because I expected it to drive different, new tires always make a car drive different. I cannot say on the new steering power system in the new jeep. But my gut tells me, if their is a computer involved, it's going to get screwed up somehow.

Larsonba

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Hi all,

That's my analysis and theory based upon my ownership and ownership of many previous vehicles with great or slow steering response. As well as understanding of vehicle dynamics.[/Q
Hi all,

well I understand what you are saying, however until it happens to you I think it’s a different story. I had an 18 sport bigger tires and no issues. Purchased a 19 Rubicon and no issues until the dealer put a Mopar lift on. Instantly death wobble. It was very unsafe. They replaced the track bar and took care of a few TSB’s and so far all good.
Sponsored