Sponsored

JL Retractable Sunshade

If it were available now, would you order a JL Retractable Sunshade?

• Total voters

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Wait a minute, where in the que does this fall, great idea/product but you have so many others in development that are still a long way out, would this be a 2019 product 2020 or 2021. Bestop has a lot of great products but it seems to take forever to bring anything to market, I am in though
Sponsored

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Don't tease us, give us hope and then make us wait until end of summer :(

Been waiting for this since I got sunrider for HT

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
80% in the yes category... not bad so far.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey all,

I hear you and see you tag us about the JL Retractable Sunshade! Now is your time to puts some number to how many people on here are really interested in this product. Please cast you vote below!

For reference, here is the JK model: https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2016/wr...-vs-sfht/soft-topvssfht-sunrider-for-hardtop/

Thanks in advance!

CassieAtBestop
Hey Cassie:

No disrespect intended, but after reviewing this video I really can't help but think that this product for the JL is probably not going to be the most difficult thing for Bestop to adapt to the JL from the JK.

Essentially you need grab points for the base of the shade on either side, possible width adjustments for the shade the on JL, possible length adjustments for the shade, and hooks that line up with the factory soft top hook insert points.

While nothing is trivial when it comes to design, this has to pail in comparison to some other Bestop gear....point being it's a win-win for Bestop and those who want this.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I really can't help but think that this product for the JL is probably not going to be the most difficult thing for Bestop to adapt to the JL from the JK.
I don't think it's as easy as it looks. The tough part would be finding anchor points for a shade. I haven't looked at it exhaustively but the Sunrider for hardtop takes up mounting points on the roll bar, not sure how you would add a roll type shade. Future versions could incorporate shade mounting points on the roll bar brackets, but that wouldn't help with existing installations. I suppose you could supply new roll bar brackets but that starts to add a lot to the cost.

It if was easy one would think they'd have done it already.

Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Yes! I was just thinking about this the other day. I love my JTops sunshade, but it is impractical to put off and on. I'm thinking about the long baseball tournament weekends coming up and having the ability to use the sunshade when I want to is super appealing. Sign me up.

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Cassie:

No disrespect intended, but after reviewing this video I really can't help but think that this product for the JL is probably not going to be the most difficult thing for Bestop to adapt to the JL from the JK.

Essentially you need grab points for the base of the shade on either side, possible width adjustments for the shade the on JL, possible length adjustments for the shade, and hooks that line up with the factory soft top hook insert points.

While nothing is trivial when it comes to design, this has to pail in comparison to some other Bestop gear....point being it's a win-win for Bestop and those who want this.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Difficult or not, they have already done it and have been teasing it for a year now. Here is a video dating back from May last year made by Quadratec at the Bestop office where they demo the sunshade:

Edit: It starts at 11:43. It should start there automatically.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Looks like it would flap madly in the wind while driving based on how loosely it connects for the JK. Does any one have experience with the JK version? Any videos demonstrating how it behaves on a JK while driving above 40 or so MPH? If that isn't an issue, I'd pre-order it right now.

Sponsored

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
To be honest, this was also one of the reasons I got the Sunrider. It definitely was mentioned as a future add-on when the Sunrider initially came out for purchase. Some of us who purchased with the LITEBRITE code also got a coupon we were reserving for this add-on (as mentioned in another thread...). So yes we have been somewhat patiently waiting.

BaconIsAFruit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yes please! I have been emailing support asking for this. First time I was told 4th quarter 2018. Last update (Feb 2019) was no ETA... This is the #1 thing I want for my JLU. Please make it happen before summer is over.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Looks like it would flap madly in the wind when driving over 40MPH based on how loosely it connects for the JK - see video below. Does any one have experience with the JK version?

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
I just got my sundrider and was thinking today "should I take out the alien shade?". If you build it, they will pay.
Sponsored