First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
As the title states, I have completed a pretty clean winch solenoid installation, and I thought I would share in case others are looking for a remote mounting solution.

I recently bought and installed a ROAM Offroad front bumper, which resulted in a subtle installation of a Smittybilt X20 10k winch.

The front end looked really good to me, and I didn’t want to clutter it up with a solenoid box. So I opened the hood and started to look around a bit.
5B127FE3-82A0-4359-A981-A9B56F4CE13D.jpeg

Ahh... a beauty cover, right?

C3992D2E-DF9A-431C-AC5E-C465C936FAD3.jpeg

Yup. Useless. Hey, a bracket! Looks like I could modify that...

3BE4C282-DD0B-4481-B977-B6BA936E68F0.jpeg

FYI, I cut off an unused stud (upper right, primed white) and took about half of the lip off the other end (lower point, primed white) but if you decide to do this, don’t take off the whole “peninsula.” You’ll need it in a bit. I cut the stud, mounted the box, then marked and cut the peninsula, but really the second cut was just for bonus points to clean up the look.

0DDBCC99-10AE-4194-99F9-D40EE4FDF0AA.jpeg

E377A6E8-4496-4582-8109-36EBF26EC92B.jpeg

These two pics show the same thing from two views. The T-30 Torx bolt that held the engine cover now holds the bottom plate of the solenoid to the bracket. I *did* have to cut the T-30 down a little bit to clear a heater core line below the bracket.

With the switch for the wireless remote mounted forward, a stainless screw (originally intended to mount the solenoid to it’s intended bracket on the winch) conveniently tucks into the inside corner of the “peninsula” that you didn’t cut off earlier, and screws into it’s intended hole in the bottom of the solenoid box.

962EF6B0-A076-4958-85AE-C611835A68C0.jpeg

Fully installed position. Easy to reach. (Not wired.) I *very carefully* bent the oil dipstick back about 2 degrees by hand to make it easier to clear the solenoid box. No issues.

F1178F72-1589-468D-BECA-944A39EC0DD5.jpeg

All wired up. There are a few advantages to this location. The lead between the positive battery terminal and the solenoid is only about a foot long, and tucked up close to the hood - which really minimizes some potential dangers. The wires between the solenoid and the winch are replacements for the original. They are 48” long. (~46” would have been ideal, but I wasn’t cutting, stripping, and resoldering 2-gauge wire for that much of a difference.)

To get the wires from the solenoid to the winch, I had to make 5 substitutions:
4x 48” 2-gauge wires
1x 10-gauge “primary wire” with:
A 10-gauge ring connector on one end
And A 10-gauge “piggyback” connector on the other. *this one was hard to find - but available on Amazon*

The wires basically drop straight down the front of the engine and turn forward for the winch. Pretty easy path to take. Mind the belt, pullies, and moving parts of the driveline. Use loom near corners or moving parts.

The hood clears the solenoid box completely when shut. No impressions at all on the hood liner. I *do* have a Rubicon, so I can’t guarantee it will work on a sport model.

FB4D692F-050E-4403-AC46-42CDA31B57D9.jpeg

1D7152B5-DDFF-448A-B0F3-A376DAD437BC.jpeg
Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I like your solution and was just thinking how pathetically little the engine cover covers.

Any thoughts on how the solenoid pack will stand up to the heat of the engine compartment, especially being directly over the engine?

OP
OP
Shepherd12

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Any thoughts on how the solenoid pack will stand up to the heat of the engine compartment, especially being directly over the engine?
Not really sure about that. I guess time will tell, but this isn’t the first under-hood installation I’ve ever heard of for a winch solenoid.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Looks good however that’s probably a very horrible idea where it’s mounted above those lines. Also I know it’s wireless but that deff seems like it would be a pain in the ass to have to pop hood, hit wireless OR plug in and then carefully route your cord back out and then close hood again. But besides that I mean deff clean though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shepherd12

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
The way I see it, 10 times out of 10, you have to get out of the Jeep to use the winch anyway. Popping the hood and switching on/plugging in adds maybe a minute to the whole process.

I *will* probably look at how my cable would be routed out to the controller and look at maybe putting a heat shield on it, though. Thanks for the the observation FirecrackerRedJLU.

Last edited:

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
The way I see it, 10 times out of 10, you have to get out of the Jeep to use the winch anyway. Popping the hood and switching on/plugging in adds maybe a minute to the whole process.

I *will* probably look at how my cable would be routed out to the controller and look at maybe putting a heat shied on it, though. Thanks for the the observation FirecrackerRedJLU.
Run the switch to the internal aux switches if you have them and room. I thought about doing this but with remote control winch I couldn’t find practical value.

OP
OP
Shepherd12

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Run the switch to the internal aux switches if you have them and room. I thought about doing this but with remote control winch I couldn’t find practical value.
That thought also crossed my mind, but I don’t have the aux switches yet. I may get to that at some point... Maybe when I start looking at lighting.

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
Did any other locations look possible? I have a 2.0 and have been considering using the top of the fuse box as the remote solenoid location.
20190311_161219.jpg
I have posted about this before in my build thread. I mounted mine on top of my Battery. Super clean and doesn't interfere or cover anything important.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clean Winch Solenoid Remote Installation {filename}

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have posted about this before in my build thread. I mounted mine on top of my Battery. Super clean and doesn't interfere or cover anything important.

Awesome! It's even a Warn, like what I was planning. Thank you for this

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
As the title states, I have completed a pretty clean winch solenoid installation, and I thought I would share in case others are looking for a remote mounting solution.

I recently bought and installed a ROAM Offroad front bumper, which resulted in a subtle installation of a Smittybilt X20 10k winch.

The front end looked really good to me, and I didn’t want to clutter it up with a solenoid box. So I opened the hood and started to look around a bit.

Ahh... a beauty cover, right?

Yup. Useless. Hey, a bracket! Looks like I could modify that...

FYI, I cut off an unused stud (upper right, primed white) and took about half of the lip off the other end (lower point, primed white) but if you decide to do this, don’t take off the whole “peninsula.” You’ll need it in a bit. I cut the stud, mounted the box, then marked and cut the peninsula, but really the second cut was just for bonus points to clean up the look.

These two pics show the same thing from two views. The T-30 Torx bolt that held the engine cover now holds the bottom plate of the solenoid to the bracket. I *did* have to cut the T-30 down a little bit to clear a heater core line below the bracket.

With the switch for the wireless remote mounted forward, a stainless screw (originally intended to mount the solenoid to it’s intended bracket on the winch) conveniently tucks into the inside corner of the “peninsula” that you didn’t cut off earlier, and screws into it’s intended hole in the bottom of the solenoid box.

Fully installed position. Easy to reach. (Not wired.) I *very carefully* bent the oil dipstick back about 2 degrees by hand to make it easier to clear the solenoid box. No issues.

All wired up. There are a few advantages to this location. The lead between the positive battery terminal and the solenoid is only about a foot long, and tucked up close to the hood - which really minimizes some potential dangers. The wires between the solenoid and the winch are replacements for the original. They are 48” long. (~46” would have been ideal, but I wasn’t cutting, stripping, and resoldering 2-gauge wire for that much of a difference.)

To get the wires from the solenoid to the winch, I had to make 5 substitutions:
4x 48” 2-gauge wires
1x 10-gauge “primary wire” with:
A 10-gauge ring connector on one end
And A 10-gauge “piggyback” connector on the other. *this one was hard to find - but available on Amazon*

The wires basically drop straight down the front of the engine and turn forward for the winch. Pretty easy path to take. Mind the belt, pullies, and moving parts of the driveline. Use loom near corners or moving parts.

The hood clears the solenoid box completely when shut. No impressions at all on the hood liner. I *do* have a Rubicon, so I can’t guarantee it will work on a sport model.

looks great!