Sponsored

H.E.R.O. Hood - TOTL Innovations

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
So having owned Ram Air cars in the past, how does the hood feed the box? It looks like the air just goes into the engine bay and sits there to heat up before being pulled into the engine. Do you have an adapter that goes with it?
This duct seems to be routed to put the air directly to the air inlet
hood.jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
If you scroll up a bit to post #7, there is a picture of the underside of the hood. Looking at the picture, in the lower right hand corner of the hood, you will see an opening from where the air is channeled from the Ram Air opening.

If you look at your factory air box, it is fed from a "chamber" that is sealed off from the engine bay and gets all of its fresh air from the gap between the hood and fenders/grille. The opening from the hood feeds this chamber.
My mistake, missed that obvious detail! Thanks!

OP
OP
TOTL Innovations

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
The question of how we handle water has popped up on several other threads, so figure we would answer it hear as well for brevity.

We handle water several different ways:

The vents on the side of the hood in the back are recessed in so water coming over the top wont just drip in. We have done this for years on our JK Hood without issues.

The phantom vents running down each side of the cowl are open inwards and up. Imagine garbing the cowl with both hands. Your fingers would have to curl up to enter into the engine bay so water would literally have to defy gravity to enter through them.

The Ram Air opening in the front channels air right against the fender to where the air box accepts air. The air box is designed in such a way that air enters towards the bottom of the box and then travels up towards the filter before going into your engine. Water would collect on the walls of the tunnel running from the Ram Air opening to the fender or against the fender itself.

We definitely have always taken a function first, then form approach to our hoods so we make sure we can expel the maximum amount of heat without letting the elements back in.

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The Ram Air opening in the front channels air right against the fender to where the air box accepts air. The air box is designed in such a way that air enters towards the bottom of the box and then travels up towards the filter before going into your engine. Water would collect on the walls of the tunnel running from the Ram Air opening to the fender or against the fender itself.
How does this work with aftermarket air intakes?

OP
OP
TOTL Innovations

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
How does this work with aftermarket air intakes?
I guess it would depend on which aftermarket intake but as long as the intake accepts air from the same general location as the factory air box, everything should work in the same manner.

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Let me know if anyone has questions, or wants a specific picture of the installation. This is a great hood, and I really like it. I would install this hood again. The only downside, is that it is heavier than the stock aluminum hood, which is functionless of course. I was totally floored when I took off the stock hood, that it was made of aluminum. I’m hopeful that the fiberglass will be more resistant to hail damage than the aluminum, but I haven’t researched that yet. They are based here in Colorado, and I believe made in USA in their plant in Golden Colorado.

The guy that painted my hood, has a Jeep with a Chinese knock off hood that they stole from TOTL Innovations, and he hates it. The lines don’t match up at all. He showed me his Jeep JK, coil over lift, 40 inch tires, totally sweet, but the hood looks horrible.

The quality of this hood is top notch, for example all holes for transferring the components are pre-drilled. Moving everything over, the latches, spring, hinges, windshield rests, windshield spray nozzles, hood stand, etc. was a piece of cake. I haven’t seen this question come up yet, but post install, I consider it the most important thing.

OP
OP
TOTL Innovations

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
The only downside, is that it is heavier than the stock aluminum hood, which is functionless of course. I was totally floored when I took off the stock hood, that it was made of aluminum. I’m hopeful that the fiberglass will be more resistant to hail damage than the aluminum, but I haven’t researched that yet. They are based here in Colorado, and I believe made in USA in their plant in Golden Colorado.
Thank you for the kind words @SteadyC :beer:

Jeep really went all in on the aluminum with the JL which resulted in a hood that is almost 20 pounds lighter than the factory JK hood. To get our hood down to the same weight as the JL hood, we would have to start compromising structural integrity which is something we just wouldnt do. At the end of the day, our H.E.R.O. Hood is just about 6 pounds heavier than a factory Rubicon hood without the faux vent inserts and insulation and it is more hail resistant and obviously functional as you mentioned.

You are correct, the hoods are made in Golden. :flag:

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Price went up.....:brokenhearted:

Phatm9

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Jl- 2007 Sahara Jk
Hopefully the have a sale for Thanksgiving or Xmas. $1150 shipped and probably another $300-500 for paint I'm assuming. Gotta get my Xmas list started early for this
Sponsored