Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Got her naked for the first time!

055B3189-87AC-4C8D-918F-2E6DC01AB2EC.jpeg
Very nice! Was it hard to remove the soft top plastic tracks on the frame? Been wanting to for a while. Will that still allow the top to be raised, ala safari style?

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice! Was it hard to remove the soft top plastic tracks on the frame? Been wanting to for a while. Will that still allow the top to be raised, ala safari style?
Thanks, the “L” shaped plastic tracks are really easy to remove. Just 2-T40 torx bits per side. I haven’t tried putting the top in safari mode with those off but I think it would work since the latches are up by the visors.

LTZ470

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep 392
Added Yeti tie rod, drag link with their make your steering wheel not jiggle doohickey, and relocated the stabilizer up adding their neutral dampener. Steering and stability is massively improved. Should be on everyone’s list, lift or not.

B89A5BCF-9D5A-43E6-92B2-06ADB5885A45.jpeg
Part No's?

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Part No's?
Just head to steersmarts website and they have parts listed under JL. I got the drag with attenuator, tie rod, and if you’re doing the tie rod you must relocate your stabilizer. I called them up to double check everything would work fine and their customer service was very good. I have the metalcloak lift so didn’t need a trackbar, but if you do they’ve got the best I’ve seen.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Thanks, the “L” shaped plastic tracks are really easy to remove. Just 2-T40 torx bits per side. I haven’t tried putting the top in safari mode with those off but I think it would work since the latches are up by the visors.
Thanks. I need to try that. I was worried the soft top mechanism would rub against the JL steel painted frame

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
So, Carroll Shelby put functional hoods vents on the Mustang Shelby's and Super Snakes. The motors costs more than our Jeeps. I think we'll be Ok, especially since everything under 30" on JLs is water proof and everything over 30" is water resistant.

So, Carroll Shelby put functional hoods vents on the Mustang Shelby's and Super Snakes. The motors costs more than our Jeeps. I think we'll be Ok, especially since everything under 30" on JLs is water proof and everything over 30" is water resistant.

Sorry by wrangler engines and compartments are not "WATERPROOF" while they can withstand some water intrusion there will be negative impacts of consistent water intrusion especially in a toxic rain and or coastal environment. Here is Washington State we have more rain days than any other state, rust-corrosion from rain is everyday issue for us and many other areas of the country. It is foolish to think that exposing your engine and electronics to water and at an extended rate is ok or good. This is likely why the Rubicon hood vents are NOT functional and they have included a drain hole for water management, whereas that drain uses the blanket to funnel that water away from the engine.

While occasional water on or n the engine compartment is tolerated I will guaranty you it is not recommended, I would assume that it could also affect warranty. It is not the water that causes rust or corrosion it is the particles in the water that interact with the air that dries the water that is the culprit. Wranglers are not impervious in no way shape or form.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Sorry by wrangler engines and compartments are not "WATERPROOF" while they can withstand some water intrusion there will be negative impacts of consistent water intrusion especially in a toxic rain and or coastal environment. Here is Washington State we have more rain days than any other state, rust-corrosion from rain is everyday issue for us and many other areas of the country. It is foolish to think that exposing your engine and electronics to water and at an extended rate is ok or good. This is likely why the Rubicon hood vents are NOT functional and they have included a drain hole for water management, whereas that drain uses the blanket to funnel that water away from the engine.

While occasional water on or n the engine compartment is tolerated I will guaranty you it is not recommended, I would assume that it could also affect warranty. It is not the water that causes rust or corrosion it is the particles in the water that interact with the air that dries the water that is the culprit. Wranglers are not impervious in no way shape or form.
He said water resistant, for anything over 30”. He didn’t say waterproof for over 30”. Today’s engines, many parts are made of aluminum, so your point about rusting, not as valid today. The block and cylinder heads are made of aluminum on the Pentastar, as well as the pistons and other components too. Nobody said anything about exposing engine or electronics for “extended” periods.

But either way, the hood we are discussing provides great water protection, for a hood with vents. I think his point was valid, there are other vehicles with vented hoods, that have more risk, more expensive motors was his point, than our Jeeps that are meant to get wet, muddy, dirty, etc.

Last edited:

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Added a red Alien sunshade to keep my bald head from burning to a crisp in the Texas sun.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My rule of thumb is not to go into water above the center of the axles, unless I have no choice. That keeps it pretty safe. I learned a tough lesson about water in axles on my YJ years ago.

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Yes, three functional perspectives. the front vent is plumbed to the air box, the sides and rear of the top square are open to the hood, so venting for heat at slow speeds. Then the vents at the rear, air coming in radiator area can leave out those vents at higher speeds.
sounds good. how bout water getting in?