• Total voters

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Try driving the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago in 'rush' hour with a manual. Several times I had to get out and walk the cramps off.
Sponsored

17FreedomChief

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Freedom Edition in Chief
Two things...if you want a manual your only choice is the Pentastar V6. The turbo 4 only comes in 8spd Auto. 2nd as iterated above if you have to ask the question I think your already headed towards an auto. In my case when I purchased mine I knew I wanted a manual I didn’t care what my driving mix was or if it would be a pain in the ass to drive it. I don’t regret my decision for one minute. It’s great on road and even better off-road!

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
I live in the heart of DC and hit up trails in Virginia and the beach on weekends. I drive my manual JKU in pretty heavy traffic everyday and I wouldn't have it any other way. Very happy about my decision to order a manual 2 door JL Rubicon.

StyleGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GMC YUKON DENALI, 2017 JAGUAR XE, 2014 MASERATI GHIBLI SQ4
My heart tells me every Wrangler should be a manual but my wife and daughters tell me differently. Also depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle. I have kept most of my personal vehicles for 7-8 years but I've never had a Jeep. If I don't like it I want to be able to sell it. Auto's are much easier to resell now. I don't know what percent of Wrangler's are manual transmissions but it has to be very low because I've only seen a couple on the lots.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
My heart tells me every Wrangler should be a manual but my wife and daughters tell me differently. Also depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle. I have kept most of my personal vehicles for 7-8 years but I've never had a Jeep. If I don't like it I want to be able to sell it. Auto's are much easier to resell now. I don't know what percent of Wrangler's are manual transmissions but it has to be very low because I've only seen a couple on the lots.
They're not on the lot because they're the first ones to sell!!! Lol JK. Someone mentioned that only about 15% or so of vehicles sold in the U.S. are manuals. don't listen to them and get it haha they could always drive auto, takes little time to learn manual, its more fun and it could be a life saver. Plus nana always approves a woman that knows how to drive stick lol

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I am in bit of a quandry here as well. I drive Los Angeles traffic enough that I am a bit worried about getting the manual( heart and pocket book says yes, brain and wife says no). I have driven manuals for years so it is isn't that I think it will be that hard. BUt my wife thinks beacuse i have partially torn Achiles tendons I should not get the manual. it is worse on my right than on my left. and I also tow a trailer sometimes through that mess, maybe 2-5 times a year. To be clear this is los angeles and at times it can take me 3-4 hours to cover what if I could go 65 would take an 1/12 hours. I haven't found a manual to test drive yet either.
So what are your thoughts?

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I am in bit of a quandry here as well. I drive Los Angeles traffic enough that I am a bit worried about getting the manual( heart and pocket book says yes, brain and wife says no). I have driven manuals for years so it is isn't that I think it will be that hard. BUt my wife thinks beacuse i have partially torn Achiles tendons I should not get the manual. it is worse on my right than on my left. and I also tow a trailer sometimes through that mess, maybe 2-5 times a year. To be clear this is los angeles and at times it can take me 3-4 hours to cover what if I could go 65 would take an 1/12 hours. I haven't found a manual to test drive yet either.
So what are your thoughts?
I'm from LA also and I'm getting manual. Last cars were auto but because one was used paid cash so I was going for price, not my preference, second was because they didn't have stick for a couple more weeks and i needed a car since previous one was totaled. I regretted both decisions lol my commute to work is through the streets with mild traffic so it's not as bad but every weekend I spend about 3 hours on the freeway on bumper to bumper traffic and never bugged me before when driving stick. Your situation is different due to your accident so I can't recommend one. I would go with my heart regardless and put the wifey on mute:giggle:, she'll get over it but you being the driver is going to live with it lol personally, I have always thought about a Wrangler being stick shift, so I went with my heart.

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
I love driving a manual. It makes me feel part of the vehicle and it means I'm almost always in the perfect gear because I can see the traffic and conditions ahead and I know what I'm planning to do.

But...there's no longer any justification beyond that in modern vehicles. Mileage, performance, maintenance even with the 8-spd - all that votes for the automatic.

I'm very wary of turning a manual over to a valet or shop because I know most people don't know how to drive them properly. If I'm traveling with someone, I probably don't trust them to drive it, even if they're willing.

The only other upside with the manual is security, since the thief may not be able to figure it out. But leaving the transfer case in neutral can somewhat replicate that.

Well, there's also the matter of $2000 but if that were truly an issue, none of us would be here to begin with =p

You won't make a bad choice - it's a Jeep!!
Sponsored