MOAB Edition JL Club Thread

t0ene3

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
What tires are you guys running? The tires that came with the Moab seems a bit rough any suggestions on tires for a smoother ride?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab; 2019 Volvo XC60 T8 Inscription; 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
What tires are you guys running? The tires that came with the Moab seems a bit rough any suggestions on tires for a smoother ride?
I would say it depends on your use and how much you care about looks. I personally am going to go up a small amount in size and go with the Continental TerrainContact in 285/70/17. It's an all-terrain that is more forgiving on-road and not as much for hardcore off-road. Anything bigger than that and one needs wheel spacers at minimum.

Most people on this forum would say go w BFG KO2s ... when I priced out the Continentals there was a really good deal to be had on the KO2s. I had them on my JK and liked them. Goodyear Duratrac would be another decent option. If you look on TireRack you can get some good information ... they run comparisons between different tires and that can help you decide what is right for you. There are a lot of customer reviews and input to be had there as well.

If you just cared about ride and not off-road in the least you could even go to a highway all-season, but I'd imagine the looks of an all-terrain at minimum will appeal to everyone who chose a Moab.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone else went soft-top for the summer on a Moab? Just installed mine yesterday. It's an interesting difference in appearance. Here it is in safari mode (top up, back windows not installed).

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

Jeep4.jpg
Getting ready to do the same ... how was the process of the changeover for you? I have to get the soft top out of the box yet. Looks good!

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Getting ready to do the same ... how was the process of the changeover for you? I have to get the soft top out of the box yet. Looks good!
I’ll limit my comments to installing the soft top, as I assume you’ve already figured out how to take the hard top off for some nice weekends. (A garage hoist is a must)

I found the instructions to be remarkably good. The pieces were labeled and the diagrams made sense. I would estimate that the total installation time was maybe 90 minutes? And I tend to be methodical to make sure I don’t miss anything. So the next time I do it, might be a sub-hour project.

Quadratic did a great YouTube video about installing the JL soft top. I recommend also using that for any spots where you get stuck or just need elaboration ok the instructions.

One thing to mention. While the majority of the job can be done with one person, you will need a friend to help lift the actual top up over the back wheel and into place. It’s not particularly heavy - my 115 lb wife was able to help me - but because it’s awkwardly shaped and large it’s not something you can do alone. So make sure you do the install on a day when someone else will be around to help.

Sponsored

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I’ll limit my comments to installing the soft top, as I assume you’ve already figured out how to take the hard top off for some nice weekends. (A garage hoist is a must)

I found the instructions to be remarkably good. The pieces were labeled and the diagrams made sense. I would estimate that the total installation time was maybe 90 minutes? And I tend to be methodical to make sure I don’t miss anything. So the next time I do it, might be a sub-hour project.

Quadratic did a great YouTube video about installing the JL soft top. I recommend also using that for any spots where you get stuck or just need elaboration ok the instructions.

One thing to mention. While the majority of the job can be done with one person, you will need a friend to help lift the actual top up over the back wheel and into place. It’s not particularly heavy - my 115 lb wife was able to help me - but because it’s awkwardly shaped and large it’s not something you can do alone. So make sure you do the install on a day when someone else will be around to help.
No issues getting the top to "stretch" and latch? That's the one thing I'm concerned about since we haven't passed 60 degrees here in Chicagoland since I bought my soft top :(

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
No issues getting the top to "stretch" and latch? That's the one thing I'm concerned about since we haven't passed 60 degrees here in Chicagoland since I bought my soft top :(
It took some effort, but ultimately I was able to pull it over. That being said I’m a fairly strong guy. If you have problems with it, I’ve heard sitting it in the sunshine stretches it out slightly (temperatures unimportant).

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
Quick Broken Arrow run on the way to Flagstaff. Interesting stares from a couple of the Pink Jeep tourists - wondering that mostly stock jeeps can make the run no problem?
BA2.jpg
BA1.jpg
Cool to see your Moab on Broken Arrow!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally took off the KM2 mud terrains (255/75/17) that came with the Moab and put on 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs today. Went with the 10 ply E rated and was wondering if I should've gone with 8 ply D rated. I think they were aired up a bit too much from the tire installer (44 psi). I have dropped them to 38 psi and will report back. They track down the highway/Interstate MUCH better than the KM2s.

I had planned on going with the more on-road friendly Continental TerrainContact in the same size but in the end the more aggressive look of the Duratracs won me over. I chose the KO2s over the Duratracs on my previous JK so I think I just wanted to see how I liked them in comparison. I am going to wait on a lift, but if I do go with one it will probably be a baby lift like a leveling lift or the like. I am liking the height of the ride right now, so I'm not sure I want to go any higher and I like the looks just fine (but could see a small lift looking a bit nicer). With two little ones and in-laws that want to ride from time to time, I will probably just leave it be. If I'm honest the most amount of "off-roading" I'm going to be doing are pastures and gravel roads.

285:70 Jeep 1.jpg

285:70 Jeep 2.jpg

285:70 Jeep 3.jpg

JESM

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver Moab
Finally took off the KM2 mud terrains (255/75/17) that came with the Moab and put on 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs today. Went with the 10 ply E rated and was wondering if I should've gone with 8 ply D rated. I think they were aired up a bit too much from the tire installer (44 psi). I have dropped them to 38 psi and will report back. They track down the highway/Interstate MUCH better than the KM2s.

I had planned on going with the more on-road friendly Continental TerrainContact in the same size but in the end the more aggressive look of the Duratracs won me over. I chose the KO2s over the Duratracs on my previous JK so I think I just wanted to see how I liked them in comparison. I am going to wait on a lift, but if I do go with one it will probably be a baby lift like a leveling lift or the like. I am liking the height of the ride right now, so I'm not sure I want to go any higher and I like the looks just fine (but could see a small lift looking a bit nicer). With two little ones and in-laws that want to ride from time to time, I will probably just leave it be. If I'm honest the most amount of "off-roading" I'm going to be doing are pastures and gravel roads.

285:70 Jeep 1.jpg

285:70 Jeep 2.jpg

285:70 Jeep 3.jpg
The tires look really good, please share more details about the ride on the new tires. The KM2s are terrible....lol...really loud....

BobBarker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
The duratracs look great!
I hate the km2s as well. Thinking nitto but the duratracs might win me over.

I have been looking at winches but in reality it would never get used. Still would like to get one.

Did order the warn low mount grill guard for $143 shipped to my door from Hughes 4x4.
Sponsored