Sponsored

2.0 Oil Change

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Can’t share a video, but the 2.0 is extremely simple to do an oil change on. Under 15 min, and No problem staying clean
Sponsored

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with 2.0L JL got their oil change done at a dealership, and was it done properly?
I got mine done at a dealership. It was done correctly with none of the overfilling problems. Took about 15 minutes. I got my first change done a little under 3,000 miles.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I did mine last weekend myself although only had 475 miles on it. Simplicity itself. Let it warm up a bit and it'll all drain in 10 minutes. The filter is right there next to the drain plug. Five quarts to refill....done. And done correctly. I always write the date and mileage on the new filter as well. I can't be bothered making a dealer appointment and waiting an hour or more. Plus I know I put 5 quarts back in and didn't strip or over tighten anything. Simple and cheap.

Reactions: aai

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I'm with @ViperJon , its not worth the time and bother for the free oil change. I would let them do it if I was already there for something else though.

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I like knowing it's done right and no one is going to care for your vehicle more than you. I understand the concept of a mechanic doing it at the dealer and they might spot something that would need attention but the reality is some 19 year old kid isn't going to spot anything, And when they are doing it for free even more unlikely. They are probably given ten minutes to do a "free" oil change and get it out the door. JMO. Besides....I like doing basic servicing. And this is a basic as it gets.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with 2.0L JL got their oil change done at a dealership, and was it done properly?
had mine done at 3000 miles and yes they put 6qts in. Drove out and around the corner. I pulled the dipstick, approx 2" above the full line. Drove it right back and had them correct it. If you go remind them, remind them again its 5 quarts. I just completed my 2nd change at 6k miles at home. All of 30 minutes including cleanups. Used the Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w-30 5qt jug and a Mobil 1 Part# M1-113A for the oil filter

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
had mine done at 3000 miles and yes they put 6qts in. Drove out and around the corner. I pulled the dipstick, approx 2" above the full line. Drove it right back and had them correct it. If you go remind them, remind them again its 5 quarts. I just completed my 2nd change at 6k miles at home. All of 30 minutes including cleanups. Used the Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w-30 5qt jug and a Mobil 1 Part# M1-113A for the oil filter
I can understand them filling a V6 with 6 since that is want they use to take, but the 2.0L is new and they should know from the beginning that it takes 5 qts.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can understand them filling a V6 with 6 since that is want they use to take, but the 2.0L is new and they should know from the beginning that it takes 5 qts.
you would think, but I can't help but knowing there was probably quite a bit of 2.0 engines left out there with 6 quarts of oil. I caught mine, and made a point of it. Went straight to the service writer and requested to speak with the tech/mechanic who worked on my vehicle. Naturally they sent out the shop foreman. Kindly asked him, how much oil does my vehicle take? He didn't know, wtf! He said that's right it suppose to be 5 quarts, but it wouldn't of hurt the engine if it was overfilled. Thats when I got a little pissed off...told him if the oil starts foaming up due to overfill and can't lubricate the engine properly, and lockup. Are you gonna stand with me against FCA? Anyways... they know now.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I will be doing mine every 5k or 6 months......... only have a 100 miles on it so far

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!

Its normally my wife's daily, but today she's taking my Yukon for horse riding so I got to take the JL to work. I love the 2.0 Turbo......definitely a great addition to the Jeep; it has enough low end grunt to get up and move.

JeepBaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
want to do an oil change early on in the motors life and before the service department at the Jeep dealer would recommend the change. Anyone know of a decent video showing the easiest way of doing the oils change in the 2.0 motor? Found a lot on the 3.6 but nothing on the he 2.0.

Bump.

Did my own change yesterday. Super easy.

5 qt Mobil 1 5w30 ($22 at my local walmarks)

Fram XG10060 ultra synthetic filter ($8) this filter is probably overkill and the cheaper equivalent size Fram would be fine with change intervals 5k or less.

Also recommend buying the largest oil pan possible to avoid a mess. This one was $9 on Amazon. Also has spout to make pouring back in an oil jug for recycling dropoff easy.
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloT...prefix=Hopkins+5+gallon,automotive,494&sr=1-1

And the factory filter was really tight and required this $3 wrench from walmart to remove.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...MI7q6I2pmj4wIVmkwNCh3BJQaLEAQYAiABEgJNlPD_BwE

Also recommend saving some cardboard and laying it under pan for extra spill protection.

I replaced my plug with this one to make future changes easier.
https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106...ocphy=9025290&hvtargid=pla-433747760090&psc=1

So in the future, total cost to do my own full synthetic change will be <$30. Once you get a routine will take less than 10 minutes. Old oil dumped back in the new oil jug and will be dropped off at an AutoZone next time Im near one.

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
Just out of curiosity. Why are you changing at 3K miles?

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
doing it every 6k miles now. First one was free at 3k miles, wanted to get their stuff out and switched over to what's above.
Sponsored