Should I trade my F-150?

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
As others have said, get the Jeep. Im new to jeep 19 jlur and it puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it. I still have my truck (pulls camper) but when the kids are old enough to not want to camp i may sell it. Unless i find a enclosed trailer to haul my jeep that is :)
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Like others have said. I believe you can get a sport gladiator if you need the truck capabilities. It would be the same price as the 2018 Sahara your looking at I believe in CAD

OP
OP

Fenixashes

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Thanks for all the input so far. Anyone daily drive their JLU with kids?

I think if I get it I’ll hold on to it until the break even point of 3 years. Then I can get a Gladiator once the kinks have been worked out.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder

I think if I get it I’ll hold on to it until the break even point of 3 years. Then I can get a Gladiator once the kinks have been worked out.
I admire that kind of long-term strategic planning.
I’m more the driving by a dealership... glance over.......Oh! What’s that?! I LIKE THAT! type.
2 hours later I’m driving home in a brand new ride.

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
78B560AD-35BB-4AE4-9F24-96F5158DC225.jpeg

Problem solved...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fenixashes

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
your

I admire that kind of long-term strategic planning.
I’m more the driving by a dealership... glance over.......Oh! What’s that?! I LIKE THAT! type.
2 hours later I’m driving home in a brand new ride.

Oh I analyze, scrutinize, and obsess forever before I make a purchase like this.

It’s a slam dunk deal other then I’ll be 6k upside down :(

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I love the idea of a Gladiator but they won’t be close to the price I’m getting this 2018 JLU demo for
I was interested in a Gladiator at first. No longer. Too durn long.
I know you 2-door purists say that about my 4-door Wrangler as well, but after 2 decades of crew-cab Duallys, this rascal seems like a zero-turn lawnmower to me.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Am I the only one who thinks the Gladiator is hideous??? Get a Wrangler Unlimited, and a small trailer, for when you need to haul things.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I daily drive my JLUR with 3 kids - usually 1-2 kids with me. Its perfect. I intentionally sold my truck for the Jeep because I like the to have secure AC cargo - guns in the winter stay dry and safe - in the summer top goes on and off depending on what I am doing. Its the perfect fun vehicle for me. I use a cargo trailer when I need to haul something that doesn't fit in or on (gobi rack) the Jeep.

Kids always say they love my car - they have never said that about my wifes Yukon XL. We go wheeling most weekends with the kids.

Sponsored

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I traded a 2004 F150 in on a 2014 JKUS and bought a trailer to haul over-sized items. Best of both world.
I did the same thing. I wanted a truck but didn’t want to drive one all the time but loved driving my old Jeep. Didn’t read all post but this your best bet if you want both

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Mine is a DD (only vehicle I own except motorcycle) and I have 2 kids (14 and 11) with me quite a bit, they love it. It's nice to have a truck for truck stuff, but for the few times I need it I can get a buddy with a truck to come over and help for a couple beers. Or just rent one from UHaul for a day. Would way rather drive a Wrangler 99.999% of the time.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You might consider this, if you only need a truck occasionally. $600 at Tractor Supply. Welded together, as a trailer should be.
Don’t need to insure it. $60/year for license. O maintenance. Well, maybe grease the wheel bearings every 5 years.
A “beater truck” is likely to turn out to be a hole in your driveway you pour money into.
A096103C-F934-4FEF-9D83-D99D2B1D106A.jpeg
If you do this please please please upgrade the spring plates to be safe. You canNOT maintain any torque on a thin plate that just keeps bending. I'm not in favor of our nanny state but I really wish DOT (or even just NATM) would make this illegal - spring plates should be required to pass torque load calcs and/or have bends to give them rigidity (thicker plate is acceptable too)

Any beater truck I've ever owned has paid for itself in spades, but I buy smart and buy stuff that I can work on and I know to be reliable with inexpensive parts availability.

Anyway the OP is talking apples and oranges so there's no right or wrong answer for him.

IMG_20190124_195008746_LL.jpg

Dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sahara 4” Zone lift
We have two Jeeps in an otherwise Ford family.
98 TJ and 18 JLU.
For “fun” the Jeeps are the go-to. The TJ is my wife’s favorite. The JLU has had lots of quality issues. But most are sorted. Both lifted.
For family functions, trips, comfort, etc. our 18 F250 Lariat is a unanimous call. It’s roomy, quiet, comfortable, etc. we’ve had a lot of vehicles and a Jeep has always been in the picture.
The JLU is a great mix of pushing comfort and convenience into a still capable package. It’s truly unique.
But my vote is F150. I’m just more comfortable with the power, room, comfort, and capability. We've had 4 ecoboosts in different vehicles and they were flawless.
When we want to take off on a sunny day and go exploring, the Jeep gets the nod. And depending on the mood decides which Jeep. We are fortunate. The TJ is a blast to work on and upgrade. I know every bolt on it. But I’m being honest, we have had no quality issues on any of the Fords we’ve owned like we have with the Wranglers. That includes 3 TJ’s, 1 JK, and the JLU. The JL has been the worst of all but we are slowly getting them sorted out.
You really need to decide what your needs are. Two completely different vehicles.
Funny though, many of the F150/F250 folks in several forums I’ve been in over the years have a Wrangler sharing the garage.
Sponsored