First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
So Kevin and Britney just got some JL Audio goodies installed on their jeep by JL Audio. Looks really nice!!

Sponsored

JLsport2019

Interesting that JL Audio said upgrading the Rear Sound Bar is not necessary....wow

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Interesting that JL Audio said upgrading the Rear Sound Bar is not necessary....wow
I took that to mean that they're tuning things to play the rear speakers at a reduced volume compared to the front, so it's less crucial than the fronts. Still, if you're going to all that trouble and expense, I'd want to replace all the speakers. Actually, it seemed even stranger that they also left the front lower (4") dash speakers stock. They only replaced the factory tweeters with 3-1/2" coaxial speakers.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
For sound quality, they are quite right.

I'd upgrade the mid driver in the knee locations along with the tweets up on the dash, but the only thing I'd put in the soundbar location is a matching mid driver. I'd seal off the tweets and leave the soundbar as lower volume fill only.

The top on/top off question means you will have develop two preset tunes to make the most of the system. I wanted to love the Alpine system, but it's incredibly under powered and muddy. :asshat:

OP
OP
RubenZ

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Its true. Go to your radio and adjust the balance to go all the way to back. You won't even hear that much sound anyway. All the sound you currently get from your JL or any vehicle for that matter almost always comes from eh front. Its how it should be.

JLsport2019

JL Audio used a 3.5" C2 Dash speaker
and left 4" knee factory stock speakers in.
Also left the rear Soumd Bar speaker stock.

Can anyone chime in for that new amplifier technology "DSP" ($1000 AMP) is making the sound more incredible inside?
That guy in that video that works for JL Audio said the DSP amplifier create a "Sound Stage" sound...timimg etc...
They talk about it for a bit in that video on how that amp technology works.

What is that? Most amps don't have have DSP technology?

I'm pretty sure (besides the SubWoofer creating more BASS) the "sound stage" & "timing" created by that DSP amplifier are making those entry level 3.5" dash C2 speakers sound more amazing....

Hmmmm

OP
OP
RubenZ

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Audio used a 3.5" C2 Dash speaker
and left 4" knee factory stock speakers in.
Also left the rear Soumd Bar speaker stock.

Can anyone chime in for that new amplifier technology "DSP" ($1000 AMP) is making the sound more incredible inside?
That guy in that video that works for JL Audio said the DSP amplifier create a "Sound Stage" sound...timimg etc...

What is that? Most amps don't have have DSP technology?
I honestly don't know how much of that is needed but it could be because so many of the stock speakers are left in it helps make them efficient.

I honestly wish there was just a very simple to get some RCA out from HU and just run it to an amp and power a set of Component Speakers in the Dash separately the old school way with just a 2 channel Amp and 1 channel Sub amp and adjust the crossovers via the AMP.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Kinda of tired of these bought and paid for jeepers, bring back the tough trail rides (which are good videos) and dump the fluff

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Too bad all JL Audio Products and Alpine upgrades are for the unlimited(4doors).

Non for the 2-door Sport JL models
I'm not sure if this wouldn't work for the two door. My back seat is out and the side looks very close to the rear of the four door. I wouldn't spend the money to test the idea but would love to hear from JL Audio. Anyone know of a distinct difference?

JLsport2019

23:34 explains how that Amplifier VX DSP creates better sound via "sound staging" & "timing".

JeepRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door Rubicon
Too bad all JL Audio Products and Alpine upgrades are for the unlimited(4doors).

Non for the 2-door Sport JL models
I talked to JL audio customer service about having a stealthbox for the 2 door. They said the model is complete about a month ago, and would be 3 months till production. Then he went on to say realistically it'll be arriving this summer.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
For sound quality, they are quite right.

I'd upgrade the mid driver in the knee locations along with the tweets up on the dash, but the only thing I'd put in the soundbar location is a matching mid driver. I'd seal off the tweets and leave the soundbar as lower volume fill only.

The top on/top off question means you will have develop two preset tunes to make the most of the system. I wanted to love the Alpine system, but it's incredibly under powered and muddy. :asshat:
I researched upgrading the audio alot and @Sting_NC_USA was awesome doing the technical work over an epic 12 hour install. He installed 5.25" Hertz components up front(cut to fit the 5.25" mid in the kick panel and soundbar) and 5.25" Hertz coaxials in the rollbar. Everything is ran through the factory unit through a JL Fix 86 procesor hidden under the steering column and powered by a Alpine 4 channel amp under driver seat. Also have a powered jl audio 8" sub in the back. I removed the interior and added dynamat to the tub and hothead headliner with dynamat in the hardtop. It sounds better than the factory upgrade...the 5.25" speakers really fill out the mid range and made a noticeable difference. I'm about to upgrade the sub to add some depth.

Last edited:

JLsport2019

I researched upgrading the audio alot and @Sting_NC_USA was awesome doing the technical work over an epic 12 hour install. He installed 5.25" Hertz components up front(cut to fit the 5.25" mid in the kick panel and soundbar) and 5.25" Hertz coaxials in the rollbar. Everything is ran through the factory unit through a JL Fix 86 procesor hidden under the steering column and powered by a Alpine 4 channel amp under driver seat. Also have a powered jl audio 8" sub in the back. I removed the interior and added dynamat to the tub and hothead headliner with dynamat in the hardtop. It sounds better than the factory upgrade...the 5.25" speakers really fill out the mid range and made a noticeable difference. I'm about to upgrade the sub to add some depth.

Is your Amplifier a DSP amp?

p.s.
without using the JL Audio Fix-86, will it sound like crap? or negligible?
Sponsored