Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I totally agree,

Dirt is not a Jeep badge of honor, a clean Wrangler shows the owner tales pride in their rig. I guess those that think Jeeps are suppose to be dirty also think lawns should not be mowed, houses should not be repainted.

There are thousands of pictures on this and other forums of members Wrangler most of which are of Clean Wranglers, in fact there are countless pics of pics of showing off their wranglers right after washing.

Many including myself had installed paint protection films and or Ceramic coatings because we want our Wrangler to continue to look like new..
Love your passion brother! I'm super proud of my Jeep and intend to take the absolute best care of it. Now if it gets injured out on a trail, so be it. That's what armor is for and I'm steadily adding to mine to mitigate where possible. Beyond that, I just enjoy keeping my Jeep looking tip top and I was prepared to put in the extra work when I got started shopping for my first black vehicle. Speaking of, what's this about Mopar's black paint scratching so easily? I had seen some complaints about Jeep paint not lasting on past models, and I've been wondering if they made any improvements to the JL in that regard. You've got me a bit concerned now! Also do you happen to have a before/after with the protective film(s) or any insight to offer? This sounds like something I'm likely to go for soon enough...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I just use my hose in the driveway. Front and rear I was as normal, when I get to the sides/door jambs, I use the soaker setting on the nozzle and very little gets inside.
Sounds very doable. Thanks for the input brother!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Mind is blown buy this product! Thanks for the detailed info/testimony brother, I'm definitely going to look into this some more. I wonder if I were to do this say, 5 years from now, would it ha ve the effect of restoring the paint like new? Or would not doing it right away negate the effectiveness... This question I will ponder...

Your paint underneath the film will be 100% preserved like new, the film has a 10 year warranty from 3M and with the self healing properties will remain looking like new as well. Trail scratches, scratches from washing, people leaning or rubbing on a dirty wrangler no problem Paint protection film is the answer and will continue to look as it did the day it was installed.

I also have had it on my Tesla for nearly 5 years now paint still looks like the day I bought itm and today,s films are better than when I had that done.

I also have it on the front of my Class A Motorhome with that big flat front talking on rocks and every bug in its path the film seems almost bullet proof easily cleans and continues to look lie new. You can even apply , wax or sealers or even ceramic coating over it for additional protection.

One final benefit it is supper glossy even more than the stock paint so when washed it simply sparkles.

As for waiting 5 years since the film is clear it will show wear form the years of non protected paint however a detailer could likely do paint correction and possibly get it looking ok, better off doing it now while the paint is looking like new and preserve that new paint.

Jeep%20Columbia%201_zpsjypvdqew.jpg

Jeep%20coumbia%204_zps6wulefqp.jpg

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Love your passion brother! I'm super proud of my Jeep and intend to take the absolute best care of it. Now if it gets injured out on a trail, so be it. That's what armor is for and I'm steadily adding to mine to mitigate where possible. Beyond that, I just enjoy keeping my Jeep looking tip top and I was prepared to put in the extra work when I got started shopping for my first black vehicle. Speaking of, what's this about Mopar's black paint scratching so easily? I had seen some complaints about Jeep paint not lasting on past models, and I've been wondering if they made any improvements to the JL in that regard. You've got me a bit concerned now! Also do you happen to have a before/after with the protective film(s) or any insight to offer? This sounds like something I'm likely to go for soon enough...

You cannot see the film when installed properly so before and after is not even possible, however it has more shine with the Paint protection film. With that said there are 3 popular films 3M (best warranty), Suntek, and Xpel, however Xpel has a little orange peel texture which is why it was not even in the decision process for me. They all cost about the same , however it was about warranty for me and 3M wins that battle. Suntek a close second. If you have not heard of Suntek they are also the leading window tinting film manufacture.

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Your paint underneath the film will be 100% preserved like new, the film has a 10 year warranty from 3M and with the self healing properties will remain looking like new as well. Trail scratches, scratches from washing, people leaning or rubbing on a dirty wrangler no problem Paint protection film is the answer and will continue to look as it did the day it was installed.

I also have had it on my Tesla for nearly 5 years now paint still looks like the day I bought itm and today,s films are better than when I had that done.

I also have it on the front of my Class A Motorhome with that big flat front talking on rocks and every bug in its path the film seems almost bullet proof easily cleans and continues to look lie new. You can even apply , wax or sealers or even ceramic coating over it for additional protection.

One final benefit it is supper glossy even more than the stock paint so when washed it simply sparkles.

As for waiting 5 years since the film is clear it will show wear form the years of non protected paint however a detailer could likely do paint correction and possibly get it looking ok, better off doing it now while the paint is looking like new and preserve that new paint.

Jeep%20Columbia%201_zpsjypvdqew.jpg

Jeep%20coumbia%204_zps6wulefqp.jpg
D

Brother your Jeep is so damn sexy, I love it! I am stoked to see a black JL with rock skins as I have been shopping around for those myself.. Who did you go with, and did you have do modify with drilling to fit the side armor/rails? I was looking at a nice set, I think it was DV8, but one reviewer had the same rock rails as me and said he had to drill into them to make additional bolt holes...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
You cannot see the film when installed properly so before and after is not even possible, however it has more shine with the Paint protection film. With that said there are 3 popular films 3M (best warranty), Suntek, and Xpel, however Xpel has a little orange peel texture which is why it was not even in the decision process for me. They all cost about the same , however it was about warranty for me and 3M wins that battle. Suntek a close second. If you have not heard of Suntek they are also the leading window tinting film manufacture.
Man thanks soooo much for all that detail/info! Believe me, it's not falling on deaf ears! I am very keen on getting this done and will be shopping around for options. Did you get yours done by a tinting place or what?

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I really don't have much input on the JL waterproofing yet. I have under 1,000 miles on my JL currently and while a lot of those have been on the trail I have only removed my freedom panels once. Basically I'm still enjoying that new car smell. That said, my very first impression is that I'm a bit concerned that there does not seem to be drain plugs in the rear of the JL, only the two in the front. Maybe that will work fine but it seems like a long way for the water to travel when it's carrying dirt and such that you're trying to wash out. Other than that, Jeep reviewers have told me that the big screen and such is all protected so.... I'm sure I will find out sometime this summer. I've seen some dash tear down videos and I don't see any reason why I should be concerned. Again, I'm not going to hit it directly with a pressure washer, or purposely submerge it completely, but I have't seen anything that looks like it's easy for water to get into under normal circumstances.
Thanks for the reply brother! I feel so much better having read that, as I have been sweating having my top and doors off in a state where the weather can turn on a dime (NC). I recently invested in the Mastertop cover with door flaps (the waterproof one that only covers top and sides) and I'm keeping that at my work just in case. The quality is great, so much so that it's too thick to store under the back seats (and I'm afraid it might be stolen if out in the open). I'm looking into the rear seat incline brackets as a possible solution for extra space underneath. That or a good cover for the cargo area, although I want something really rigid and the ones available seem too floppy for my tastes...

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
D

Brother your Jeep is so damn sexy, I love it! I am stoked to see a black JL with rock skins as I have been shopping around for those myself.. Who did you go with, and did you have do modify with drilling to fit the side armor/rails? I was looking at a nice set, I think it was DV8, but one reviewer had the same rock rails as me and said he had to drill into them to make additional bolt holes...

The Rock skins are made by Rock Slide Engineering, I chose these because they are aluminum and very light weight which is important to me since I tow my Wrangler and need to keep the weight below 5000lbs. I purchased them from 4WP for $199. Install was about 2 hours

here is the process (You do have to drill holes in the side of the Wrangler however this set of rocker cladding requires the least amount of holes.

Here was my install and review thread

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-rocker-guards-install-and-review.28415/

Here is the link for purchasing

https://www.4wheelparts.com//p/rock...ker-guards-ax-ss-rg-jl4/_/R-FTKV-AX-SS-RG-JL4

Man thanks soooo much for all that detail/info! Believe me, it's not falling on deaf ears! I am very keen on getting this done and will be shopping around for options. Did you get yours done by a tinting place or what?
Yes I had a local Tint shop install the 3M Paint Protection film (PPF) . You may have to negotiate a bit with who ever you chose to get a good price.

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I really don't have much input on the JL waterproofing yet. I have under 1,000 miles on my JL currently and while a lot of those have been on the trail I have only removed my freedom panels once. Basically I'm still enjoying that new car smell. That said, my very first impression is that I'm a bit concerned that there does not seem to be drain plugs in the rear of the JL, only the two in the front. Maybe that will work fine but it seems like a long way for the water to travel when it's carrying dirt and such that you're trying to wash out. Other than that, Jeep reviewers have told me that the big screen and such is all protected so.... I'm sure I will find out sometime this summer. I've seen some dash tear down videos and I don't see any reason why I should be concerned. Again, I'm not going to hit it directly with a pressure washer, or purposely submerge it completely, but I have't seen anything that looks like it's easy for water to get into under normal circumstances.
EDIT: I submitted this thinking my last msg didn't go through earlier.. Oh well :p

Hey man, tried to reply earlier but my phone doesn't like this site too much. Maybe there's an app out there? Anyway, you made me feel sooo much better after reading what you said about your confidence level and the feedback from others. Just yesterday a guy told me he rhino-lined his YJ inside AND out and replaced his electronics with stuff meant for boats. No joke, apparently he just leaves the top and doors off 24/7 now, rain or shine lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
The Rock skins are made by Rock Slide Engineering, I chose these because they are aluminum and very light weight which is important to me since I tow my Wrangler and need to keep the weight below 5000lbs. I purchased them from 4WP for $199. Install was about 2 hours

here is the process (You do have to drill holes in the side of the Wrangler however this set of rocker cladding requires the least amount of holes.

Here was my install and review thread

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-rocker-guards-install-and-review.28415/

Here is the link for purchasing

https://www.4wheelparts.com//p/rock...ker-guards-ax-ss-rg-jl4/_/R-FTKV-AX-SS-RG-JL4

Yes I had a local Tint shop install the 3M Paint Protection film (PPF) . You may have to negotiate a bit with who ever you chose to get a good price.
Heck yeah! I've only just discovered RSE and love their products already! Have you seen the fenders they just released?! Thanks so much for the review/install info and the product link! May be picking these up!! It's between these and another one that's almost identical. Just like it was deciding between my Red Rock rails and the Smittybuilt option. Pretty sure you have the latter one, correct?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Heck yeah! I've only just discovered RSE and love their products already! Have you seen the fenders they just released?! Thanks so much for the review/install info and the product link! May be picking these up!! It's between these and another one that's almost identical. Just like it was deciding between my Red Rock rails and the Smittybuilt option. Pretty sure you have the latter one, correct?

I have the GoRhino Dominator D-6 Sliders with the optional Drop steps (the steps are removable for Offroad use). Besides having a short wife (5'2") that needed an extra step I chose the GoRino steps as they have the best warranty of any of the slider/step manufactures (other manufactures are having rust issues that is not being covered). I get more compliments on the sliders/steps that any other mod.

kalf%20doors%202%20-%20Copy_zpsrckt7jxl.jpg

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I have the GoRhino Dominator D-6 Sliders with the optional Drop steps (the steps are removable for Offroad use). Besides having a short wife (5'2") that needed an extra step I chose the GoRino steps as they have the best warranty of any of the slider/step manufactures (other manufactures are having rust issues that is not being covered). I get more compliments on the sliders/steps that any other mod.

kalf%20doors%202%20-%20Copy_zpsrckt7jxl.jpg
Woaa dude, those are bada**!! For some reason I swore I saw the Smittybuilt before but now I'm thinking I confused yours with another pic I had seen that same day. Anyway, I can see why they're praising them, they look sweet! Love the fact you can remove the drops too. I added rails because of armor and my 2 kids in elementary school. Especially now that it's 3" taller *without* the tires, I'm thinking it was a good decision! Nice doors btw, almost went with those but ended up partial to the Safari :)
Sponsored