Sponsored

AFE Power Exhaust Mach Force-XP Axle Back 2.0L (before and after sound clips)

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I ordered this exhaust “AFE Power Mach Force-XP Axle Back 2.0L” from @Northridge4x4 and it’s arriving tomorrow. Can’t wait to install it this weekend.

From the videos and instructions I’ve seen it looks fairly simple but some videos show removing the entire hanger brackets and some have some sort of removal tool that appears to deal with the rubber post without having to remove all the bolts. I don’t have the special removal tool but if there is a way to work around having to remove the brackets and bolts it would be nice.

This is what I ordered:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...force-xp-axle-back-exhaust-system-w-black-tip

I’ll take some before and after videos that will hopefully help others in the future.

Update:

Finally uploaded videos. These are on Vimeo. Hopefully they embed okay here.

I uninstalled and went back to stock this morning. Just wasn’t for me. There was a noticeable improvement, however, when I removed the tip. I’ll have it for sale in the classifieds area if anyone is interested in trying it.

Stock exhaust with a few engine revs.

AFE with the end tip on. This is a cold start which takes about 90 seconds to settle down into normal idle.

AFE without the tip. I found this to be quieter and less droney.

This is some low speed normal stop and go driving around town with the phone pointed toward the speedo.

This is some faster driving with a few punches to get into some higher revs. The video is done with the phone pointed toward the ceiling, so nothing to see.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I ordered this exhaust “AFE Power Mach Force-XP Axle Back 2.0L” from @Northridge4x4 and it’s arriving tomorrow. Can’t wait to install it this weekend.

From the videos and instructions I’ve seen it looks fairly simple but some videos show removing the entire hanger brackets and some have some sort of removal tool that appears to deal with the rubber post without having to remove all the bolts. I don’t have the special removal tool but if there is a way to work around having to remove the brackets and bolts it would be nice.

This is what I ordered:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...force-xp-axle-back-exhaust-system-w-black-tip

I’ll take some before and after videos that will hopefully help others in the future.
I hear that removing the hanger is a PIA and shouldn’t need to for this installation.

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear that removing the hanger is a PIA and shouldn’t need to for this installation.
I hope that it’s not needed. It looks like the muffler should slide off with a little work but nothing is easy as it seems.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
The rubber hangers can sometimes be a bear to get off. Use a little 409, dish soap or other soapy type cleaner, squirt it around the rubber and pin and work it back and forth. You'll be able to get it off.

For the exhaust couple, loosen it up, unhook the rubber hanger and then start twisting the exhaust pipe back and forth to get the coupled joint to start moving. If it's real rusty you may need some penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Kryoil and then a few taps with a rubber mallet.

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rubber hangers can sometimes be a bear to get off. Use a little 409, dish soap or other soapy type cleaner, squirt it around the rubber and pin and work it back and forth. You'll be able to get it off.

For the exhaust couple, loosen it up, unhook the rubber hanger and then start twisting the exhaust pipe back and forth to get the coupled joint to start moving. If it's real rusty you may need some penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Kryoil and then a few taps with a rubber mallet.
Thanks for the tips, Tim! I have some PB so I’ll get it ready. Thanks for responding.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it done. Took about an hour. I was able to do it without lifting the Jeep. I went ahead and removed each hanger and then the rubber pieces were easy to separate and install on the new pipe (good tip on the 409). Hardest part was separating the pipe from the coupling. It wasn’t rusted but took a fair amount of wiggling and tugging to get it off. Really only took a few minutes and I was on my back doing it. I could see if it was rusted it would be a bear. Not a lot of room to work but using a lift would make the job a lot easier.

Only thing I’m not crazy about right now is that the tip is right next to the towing wire harness and my aux backup light. I may need to move my backup light and put some sort of heat shield tape around the wire harness. I’m not sure how hot the tip will get, though.

It’s dark now so I’ll get some video and audio tomorrow. Sound is nice but I haven’t gotten it up to speed yet. Just rode around the neighborhood. If nothing else it got rid of that gigantic tub of a stock muffler.

Matt2036

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
How does it sound? Notice increase throttle response?

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
Got it done. Took about an hour. I was able to do it without lifting the Jeep. I went ahead and removed each hanger and then the rubber pieces were easy to separate and install on the new pipe (good tip on the 409). Hardest part was separating the pipe from the coupling. It wasn’t rusted but took a fair amount of wiggling and tugging to get it off. Really only took a few minutes and I was on my back doing it. I could see if it was rusted it would be a bear. Not a lot of room to work but using a lift would make the job a lot easier.

Only thing I’m not crazy about right now is that the tip is right next to the towing wire harness and my aux backup light. I may need to move my backup light and put some sort of heat shield tape around the wire harness. I’m not sure how hot the tip will get, though.

It’s dark now so I’ll get some video and audio tomorrow. Sound is nice but I haven’t gotten it up to speed yet. Just rode around the neighborhood. If nothing else it got rid of that gigantic tub of a stock muffler.

we need pictures and sound clips please. :) ;) :clap::fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we need pictures and sound clips please. :) ;) :clap::fingerscrossed:
Coming soon. It freakin’ rained all weekend (again) so I wasn’t able to get everything.

I will say I’m up in the air on whether or not I’m keeping it. It doesn’t bother me when I’m by myself but it’s annoying with other people as the sound drowns out conversation - mostly at start/stop and getting up to cruising speed. It’s nice and quiet when you’re not on the gas. Hopefully I can capture some good audio while driving. All I have so far is while parked.

Reactions: JAY
OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally have several audio recordings and just need to edit and upload. Sad to say, I'm going to be going back to stock this weekend. The sound is good, and impressive, but a bit much for my aging ears and passengers. I can make someone a great deal if you want to try it. Less than 100 miles. Pulling off tonight or tomorrow. I'll get the audio uploaded this weekend.

Sponsored

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
I finally have several audio recordings and just need to edit and upload. Sad to say, I'm going to be going back to stock this weekend. The sound is good, and impressive, but a bit much for my aging ears and passengers. I can make someone a great deal if you want to try it. Less than 100 miles. Pulling off tonight or tomorrow. I'll get the audio uploaded this weekend.

Thanks Scott

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
thanks for the honest review, I have tried quite a few after market exhausts on cars and motorcycles, and I always end up going back to the stock system. In my 911 I have the best of 2 worlds where I can turn the sport muffler on or off, it sounds very cool on start-up but for long drives I get tired of the sound. So 90% of time I just have it set to stock sound instead of sport....
Sponsored