Sponsored

What happens to the buyback Jeeps?

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Curious, many times these vehicles are basically new with extremely low miles. If I'm not mistaken, if a vehicle is returned under a lemon law in some states the title is marked as such. If FCA voluntarily buys it back there is no such requirement right? What becomes of these troublemakers?
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Jeep about a month ago but while I was looking online, I found one listed at a Jeep dealership that specifically stated it was a buy back. I don't know if it's mandatory or not in Texas to disclose a vehicle as a buy back but it caught my eye. I wondered who would chance buying that Jeep if the dealership couldn't resolve the issues stated by the 1st owner. It was listed approximately the same price as any other Jeep too.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
They make their way back to a dealer after they have been repaired. I came across a JK 2-door Willys when I was looking for a Jeep. And it was $8000 or so less than comparables so it looked like a very good deal. However, the free Carfax red flagged it as having a ‘buy back’ title or some such term, I don’t think it says lemon title. I talked to the dealer on the phone and they were very upfront about it, explained it was a lemon law buy back, they knew the reasons why, leaky top was one problem, forgot the others. They assured me it was repaired by FCA and would be ok etc. The internet and my dad talked me out of considering it, it was a very good deal though. It was originally sold in Texas, dealer that had it was in Wisconsin. So I’m guessing these will be bargain JL’s on some dealers lot somewhere.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I"m not sure I would chance a buy-back vehicle!

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
That’s the point, we should never buy these vehicles. FCA needs to eat them, let their corporate board enjoy them. Maybe this will help to increase their quality past an acceptable level.

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Exactly. We're not talking about refurbished laptops here. I wondered this myself. If I were Jeep, I'd scrap them by sending them to crash test sites. ;)
That's actually a good idea instead of wrecking a perfectly GOOD one!

OP
OP
Punkindave

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I can understand when it's a leak, radio malfunction or a needed part that is back ordered indefinitely (as was my case) but for a real honest to goodness basket case it's curious how they determine the fate of such a vehicle.
I'll see about getting a car fax report next year. Should prove interesting to see where it ends up being registered.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
The dealers bid on them. And then resell them, note they have to disclose they were buy backs.

My brother got a killer deal a few years ago on a Dart GT. It had 2400 miles on it. The Dart kept stalling and was bought back for that and the 7" head unit had issues. Dealer bought it, replaced the engine harness and PCM and new head unit, sold it about 10K below what it cost newabout 50% off, gave lifetime on the head unit, pcm and harness and 8yr 100K bumper to bumper. He has had it 3 yrs and runs like a top, cheap commuter car

One of his pals at the dealer he bought it from did the trouble shooting and fixed it and drove it for a few weeks to make sure it was good. Showed him the history and service records, so was above board.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
A local dealer in the Phoenix area seems to have a lot of buybacks. My guess is that some dealers want them as they get them cheap and can sell cheaper. I agree with others that I would not personally buy a buyback, but that also goes to a "restored salvage " vehicle for me. That is just my personal preference, but I do see the value for those who don't mind are are able to get a much more expensive vehicle than they may otherwise be able to afford.

I will be interested to see if my 2019 JLUR ends up here local for sale as a buyback once the process is done. Will be easy to find, so I plan to keep an eye out just for fun.

Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Yes they can be resold, and they are marked as a lemon buy-back on the lot. Some get fixed right, some don't. Go on YouTube and look for SamCrac's channel, he bought a lemon buyback and had issues.

JP19

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
If you knew you were going to do an engine swap (ie. Hemi, Hellcat, etc.), I could see the validity in purchasing a buyback. Especially if the issues were engine related.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I cannot understand buying a Lemon/buyback.

Since it’s a used car, do lemon laws even apply to you as a buyer if you purchase one of these vehicles?

It just might be a better idea to play Russian Roulette with a 6 shooter with 6 bullets in the chamber.

Think about it.... by definition the car has been “unfixable” by a dealer and out of commission for “XX Days” for the same problem(s).........

Bang.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up finding my 18, that FCA bought back, at a dealership in Wisconsin. Had a friend call the dealer and inquire about it. They were very forthcoming about the buyback. The list price was about $1600 less than I paid for it brand new. :CWL:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up finding my 18, that FCA bought back, at a dealership in Wisconsin. Had a friend call the dealer and inquire about it. They were very forthcoming about the buyback. The list price was about $1600 less than I paid for it brand new. :CWL:
I had a 2006 Trailblazer SS that was a lemon. I used the bbb to fight it. Learned real quick lemon law is biased to the manufacture, and that's why I worked with FCA directly this time. Much better outcome.

However, I ended up getting a lifetime warranty and then sold it myself. Crazy story with the person who bought it, long story short the DEA and ATF got involved and the vehicle ended up government property. Down the road it ended up at the dealership I bought it from new, that fought me in repairs and was part of the lemon law process with bbb. I also called them to ask about it, and they did not disclose that it was a lemon, or that it had been seized by the government and used for cross country drug running. When I confronted them on their dishonesty they said t was not mine, and I was wrong. I showed them an old insurance card with the vin on it, and the original window sticker. They would not talk to me anymore. Moral of the story is that some dealers will disclose things, others will not. Due to this, I try t buy new as often as I can so I know the vehicle is maintained correctly etc.
Sponsored