Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
GDE will put the tune back for $50, but for me, it will just be less of a headache to just have the factory ECU and their ECU so I can swap them around at will.
Yeah, I've paid once. After that I put a lock on the OBD port.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
GDE will put the tune back for $50, but for me, it will just be less of a headache to just have the factory ECU and their ECU so I can swap them around at will.
How much does the ECU cost? I’d consider this option. Want a diesel so bad I’m considering all options.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
How much does the ECU cost? I’d consider this option. Want a diesel so bad I’m considering all options.
I believe its around $750

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
$500 tune
$750 ECU
$$$ what else?

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
We own an ecodiesel grand cherokee, 2014. So far, it has been faultless, through 85000 miles. Maybe we got a "good one" but ours has been flawless. It seems that IF they have a problem, the problem is usually serious. Not enough for me to stay away from one.
So much of this is anecdotal. I have no idea how many ecodiesel engines they’ve sold, but if they were all crap FCA would be bankrupt. That said, not sure what the appeal of diesel is in this application. On my motorhome, I get it. 400 HP and I forget how much torque. It pulls and pulls.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You're in florida so it's hard to tell, but add 37s and 1000lbs in armor, winch, gear, carriers, extra gas, etc, and you'll understand real fast why the wrangler is the perfect candidate for a diesel. I have a very nicely build JKUR that I will be getting rid of specifically because I've always said the wrangler BADLY needs a good diesel. While the 8 speed helps, when I was in Moab, Colorado, Arizona, etc, having a diesel would help a lot both with power, range, uphill climbs, etc. Im not getting it to save money.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Are you sure the ECU is plug and play? Most ECUs these days require a 'handshake' via the CAN to operate with other systems (keyless start, for example). This is done on many newer vehicles to reduce vehicle and component theft. The handshake is usually done by an OE type scan tool.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Are you sure the ECU is plug and play? Most ECUs these days require a 'handshake' via the CAN to operate with other systems (keyless start, for example). This is done on many newer vehicles to reduce vehicle and component theft. The handshake is usually done by an OE type scan tool.
New Tazer feature request?

Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
ECU's were going for for $150 on e-bay so you could have sent it in and keep the original. That would keep the total price to around a Grand. Now there is a EPA settlement as of yesterday with FCA that will pay out 3075 to the eco owners from 2014 to 2016 but they will have to take in their diesels to get a new flash (no flash no cash). There is currently a rush to get ECU's right now and I would expect GDE to be very busy. That price will balloon shortly.

saxdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ram 2500, 2015 Jeep WK2 ED
I wouldn't avoid it unless maybe waiting for the second year it's available to work out factory bugs when they're new, just like me not buying any JL in the first few years. Our 2015 JGC diesel is at 80k trouble free miles and runs smooth as butter. My,opinion is so many people just trash their vehicles and don't maintenance them and then claim they're unreliable. I'd buy another in a heartbeat and my wife even says she doesn't want another gasser....ever ! lol

Last edited:

GreeceMonkey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 WK2 Ecodiesel, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
I'm anxiously awaiting a JT Ecodiesel. I currently have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel with 125,000 miles and it runs flawlessly. I buy the rotella T6 at walmart and the filters online and oil changes really aren't all that bad. The fuel filters are pricey, but last 20K miles. I bought this jeep with 79,000 miles on it and got the GDE tune shortly after. I have had zero issues with it and i work it pretty hard. I tow, i do a lot of stop and go driving, i drive it hard, and it just puts up with it all and gives me zero Grief. That being said, i know there are people that have had issues and i may be one of them someday when i get a JT with the diesel, but i'm fine with it. I get 30+ MPG in a vehicle that weights 5400 lbs, is all wheel drive, has a 2.5" lift, and 32" tires. Having owned many wranglers in my day (and one currently) i love that the ecodiesel gets me 2 weeks between fill ups and i'm sure it would wonders in a JL or JT. Caution to the wind, FCA please take my money!

roll

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
vw tdi
Nope, they have no way of detecting it. The downside is that if you take it in with the tuned ECU and they flash it, they will overwrite the tune. Been there, done that.
so what you're saying is that if you have it tuned if you bring it back in they will flash computer and it puts original program in computer? How much does it cost to have one tuned? Is it hard to find someone to tune one?
Sponsored