Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky, I’m looking at going from 31s to 33s in my Sport. Not worried about the speedometer error, but I hadn’t considered changing shift points with the 8 speed 2.0.
I’m willing to give up a little launch velocity, but not too much.
Reckon it will be a problem?
I don’t think you’ll have a problem with 33s, but you’ll be able to tell, drive it and pay attention to when it shifts now, at what speed, then when you get the new tires see if it’s shifting in the same place, give or take a mph or two. But I haven’t heard anyone complaining about it with 33s.
Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I don’t think you’ll have a problem with 33s, but you’ll be able to tell, drive it and pay attention to when it shifts now, at what speed, then when you get the new tires see if it’s shifting in the same place, give or take a mph or two. But I haven’t heard anyone complaining about it with 33s.
Thanks!

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
How about that time I had 35x12.5x17 KM3s installed on new AEV borah wheels - supervisor told me would “personally” handle the job. Out of 5 wheels not a single wheel had a wheel weight on it or was ever balanced but they gladly charged me for the balancing...

OP
OP
Coolbreeze95

Coolbreeze95

First Name
David Gregan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Im not too worried about it i wanted the flashcal anyways. I just dont trust dealerships. When i ordered the lift i put $500 down so when the job was complete they tried to charge me full price. i said i put $500 down already and he said oh yeah i saw that on the bill, then he laughed. Then i go to leave and none of the old parts are in the jeep. So i go back in and ask and he said it wouldnt fit in the back of the jeep because they put it in the box from the new lift and i needed to bring a truck. Im like what? I pulled around to the bay they had the parts at and put the box in the jeep. Plenty of room.

OP
OP
Coolbreeze95

Coolbreeze95

First Name
David Gregan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You just have to keep an eye on those guys. In the end I'm pretty happy with the results.

20190510_101953.jpg

20190504_170406.jpg

Sponsored

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
You don’t actually calibrate the speedometer. All that is done is to set the diameter of your tires and the gear ratio of your differentials. This is simply done with just bout any tuner.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
I assume you mean your speedo was showing 5-6 mph slower than you were actually going?

Hell, I’m on the factory RUBI 33’s and my speedo is wrong. (Shows 2-3 mph slower than actual at around 70 mph.)
I get having to recalibrate if you go larger than stock, but it’s crazy to me that mine is 100% stock and it’s still incorrect. It’s like they’re all set for “sport” size tires from the factory and they don’t even correct it for stock RUBI tires.

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
Why would shift points be based on vehicle speed and not engine rpm?

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
T
The way I understand it is the computer is set to factory tires, when you go bigger then the rpms and speed is off. Mine shifted differently when I went to 37s before I calibrated Speedo with tazer. Now shifts like it did when was stock. It really is above my pay grade, lol, I just know my shift points were off until I calibrated.....:)
Why would shift points be based on vehicle speed and not engine rpm?
Think about it. If you have 37” tires you are going a lot faster at 2000 rpm than you are with 33” tires and rpm. Also with larger tires you have considerably less rear wheel torque at low rpm for off road situations. The tranny has to compensate for these conditions.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I did the same thing. i used waze and its right. they know you can use waze for free and catch them if they lie and take your money. they wont lie about doing it for that reason
Sponsored