Rear camera quick disconnect - solution

Cali-JeepJL

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I just installed a Poison Spyder rear tire carrier with a Genright license plate & backup camera relocation kit. The first and most obvious problem with this setup is the need to disassemble the camera housing to unplug it before removing the rear tire.

After looking through all the forums I found that this is a problem with any of the rear tire carriers that move the camera if the camera gets mounted in the center.

Took a bit of searching but I’ve found a simple solution. The connector for the camera is a FAKRA connector, and you can buy a 12 inch male to female quick disconnect cable, then just disconnect the camera and plug in the new extension. This gives you a very nice and simple waterproof disconnect inline in the cable, with the factory connectors.

The cable is available here:

https://www.pasternack.com/fakra-pl...mbeMtl6kXknyDHn9eNaalwrIEpFtTXe4aAvQdEALw_wcB
Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
005CFC37-0132-471B-BA0C-8260A66BF175.jpeg
23EECA96-8045-4EF3-8FEB-D4CA4A0D5F3D.jpeg
There is a quick disconnect along the existing cable a few feet from the camera end. Not sure if you saw that on your cable. Sorry no photo. I was using that in order to remove the spare, but I grew tired of the license plate, camera and third brake light needing to be removed for access to the spare. So I changed it, mounted my third brake light on the hardtop, well you can see the rest.
Good job finding the cable.