Sponsored

Is there a true fix for the Steering/Wandering issue?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I driven a lot of crappy lowered old Hondas that had better steering that this.
As much crap as Honda gets on all Jeep forums, Honda definitely knows how to do steering right.

Also I have noticed that Honda forums couldn't care less about Jeeps...
Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Well their's the difference right there. You drop $40,000 on a vehicle and it doesn't work....so you take it to the dealership.....good for you. Nothing wrong with that. I drop $40,000 on a vehicle and choose "DIY fix" as you put it rather than getting the "rolling eyes" and "Everything's fine" comments from the dealership.

Every time I read your comments, I can't help to think your a salty guy who wants to bring everybody down on this thread....again that's how I'm reading your comments, I could be wrong...after all, text is non emotional.

Hope you get your Jeep fixed and start having fun like some of us zgn.

JeepGreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
I completely agree with the thought that you should not have to put money into a brand new vehicle to get it to perform as it should. I certainly don't want to. I will probably never truly off-road my jeep. I will take it camping, drive on dirt roads and, drive through snow with no worries of getting stuck, though. That's why I purchased a Sahara. I wanted a vehicle with more creature comforts, more cargo space, and all wheel drive. My Ford Ranger 2wd base model got stuck a few times this last winter and I missed have an AWD vehicle. The Jeep looks great and has everything that I wanted in a vehicle plus more (the removable freedom top is awesome!). After driving my girlfriend's JK both in the city and a few times on 2hr long highway trips I was sold. It did not drive like my JL does.

Both sides of the argument feel valid to me. Anyone who is going to upgrade anyway might as well just put the parts on and not waste their time.

I have opened a case with FCA. My plan is to take that as far as I can. If its acceptable if/after they make changes, I will be happy. I truly like everything else about this vehicle. If they cannot make it how I want it to be but aftermarket parts can I will bite the bullet and spend the money. I plan to drive a vehicle that has been upgraded to see if it drives satisfactory beforehand, though.

If I don't like the upgraded wrangler, my only other option at that point would be to trade it in and lose a bunch of money. Hard part is finding another vehicle that I am interested in. I had my mind so dead set on a Wrangler that it would be hard to purchase anything else. I would likely just buy another beater and drive that for a few years until something else catches my eye. I do believe it can be fixed, though. So I am hopeful that I will still be driving my Jeep in the next few months.

The biggest thing that I struggle with is the warranty. I purchased the extended warranty for my Jeep, and bought it loaded, because I planned on keeping it for a long time. However, since I have an expensive payment, I would rather 'void the warranty' on the suspension components and be happy driving it around than being miserable and still having to spend the money on it. At least the warranty would cover the electronics and other parts that would still be pricey to repair.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Better not flip flop around like that when you plead your case to FCA for a buyback....

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I completely agree with the thought that you should not have to put money into a brand new vehicle to get it to perform as it should. I certainly don't want to. I will probably never truly off-road my jeep. I will take it camping, drive on dirt roads and, drive through snow with no worries of getting stuck, though. That's why I purchased a Sahara. I wanted a vehicle with more creature comforts, more cargo space, and all wheel drive. My Ford Ranger 2wd base model got stuck a few times this last winter and I missed have an AWD vehicle. The Jeep looks great and has everything that I wanted in a vehicle plus more (the removable freedom top is awesome!). After driving my girlfriend's JK both in the city and a few times on 2hr long highway trips I was sold. It did not drive like my JL does.

Both sides of the argument feel valid to me. Anyone who is going to upgrade anyway might as well just put the parts on and not waste their time.

I have opened a case with FCA. My plan is to take that as far as I can. If its acceptable if/after they make changes, I will be happy. I truly like everything else about this vehicle. If they cannot make it how I want it to be but aftermarket parts can I will bite the bullet and spend the money. I plan to drive a vehicle that has been upgraded to see if it drives satisfactory beforehand, though.

If I don't like the upgraded wrangler, my only other option at that point would be to trade it in and lose a bunch of money. Hard part is finding another vehicle that I am interested in. I had my mind so dead set on a Wrangler that it would be hard to purchase anything else. I would likely just buy another beater and drive that for a few years until something else catches my eye. I do believe it can be fixed, though. So I am hopeful that I will still be driving my Jeep in the next few months.

The biggest thing that I struggle with is the warranty. I purchased the extended warranty for my Jeep, and bought it loaded, because I planned on keeping it for a long time. However, since I have an expensive payment, I would rather 'void the warranty' on the suspension components and be happy driving it around than being miserable and still having to spend the money on it. At least the warranty would cover the electronics and other parts that would still be pricey to repair.
This is me.

My JLR is at the dealer right now because the rear diff bearings were faulty, making the Jeep not drivable. The steering has also been a problem and theyā€™re going to take a look at that once the diff is fixed. I donā€™t think we should *have* to spend money on aftermarket parts to fix it because 1-we sent enough on the Jeep and 2-FCA needs to know how much of a problem it is.

Sponsored

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Update my jeep was at the dealer today new stabilizer installed again....... of course they say it feels better and where it was an 8 on the white knuckle driving test it is down to a 6 but NOW IT EITHER SQUEAKS OR WHISTLES I have only driven it like 10 miles so i will put a couple more on it before i call the dealer i told them I ordered the control arms and would like them to at least put them in and alignment since i spent the 425$ on the synergy lcaā€™s he said he would let me know

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I fixed my steering! No thanks to the Dealer! Unfortunately, it cost me $500 out of pocket. I replaced the drag link with a Synergy and the track bar with a JKS adjustable.

I shouldn't have had to, but I couldn't wait for parts nor have the dealer refuse to replace even though a Star Case exist that says otherwise. I waited over 60 days for the failed drag link tie rod, dealer could not tell me when it would be available. A week ago, the Synergy drag link completely remedied that issue. Yesterday, i replaced the track bar with the JKS. The weak factory bushing is the culprit. The JKS is robust and strong. Absolutely no movement as with the factory.

Everything feels solid, none of the sloshy-swaying. Always felt the axle sway underneath, that is gone. I put 50 miles since yesterday, winding back roads and highway. Tracks straight and the wandering is gone. Any movement left in the wheel is in the steering box and any corrections having to be made I can attribute it to the road surface, but that is normal.

I'm very satisfied with the results! In my case, I only have Rubicon take-off wheel and tires and suspension. So, these two upgrades solved everything to my satisfaction. All that is left is the rear axle knocking and clunking. I have been waiting 74 days for bearings! Beyond ridiculous!

IMG_0759.jpeg

Axix23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
As much crap as Honda gets on all Jeep forums, Honda definitely knows how to do steering right.

Also I have noticed that Honda forums couldn't care less about Jeeps...
Well, I still own my crappy old lowered Hondas, I just happen to have a new Jeep now. Wanted to go to the other side. Lol

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m not sure if I have wandering issues or if itā€™s just really windy here in Texas. I mean I know itā€™s windy but I canā€™t compare to the other jeeps I owned because I owned them in Florida, Georgia and Hawaii, not here.

The thing is, in the past 1,000 miles Iā€™ve been mostly on the highway going about 65-70mph. The jeep seems to float around more than I would expect and the body of the jeep seems not-well-connected to the axle. When I get up under the jeep I can grab the tie rod and steering linkage (I think, Iā€™m new to suspension components) and both have play in them and make a ā€œclankā€ sound when I pull on them.

My big problem is time... I worked an 80 hour work week this week (five days) and am just exhausted on Saturday. Last thing I want to be doing is sitting in a dealership in my precious free time. I may just wait and fix it myself down the line.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Iā€™m not sure if I have wandering issues or if itā€™s just really windy here in Texas. I mean I know itā€™s windy but I canā€™t compare to the other jeeps I owned because I owned them in Florida, Georgia and Hawaii, not here.

The thing is, in the past 1,000 miles Iā€™ve been mostly on the highway going about 65-70mph. The jeep seems to float around more than I would expect and the body of the jeep seems not-well-connected to the axle. When I get up under the jeep I can grab the tie rod and steering linkage (I think, Iā€™m new to suspension components) and both have play in them and make a ā€œclankā€ sound when I pull on them.

My big problem is time... I worked an 80 hour work week this week (five days) and am just exhausted on Saturday. Last thing I want to be doing is sitting in a dealership in my precious free time. I may just wait and fix it myself down the line.
If you're pushing the bars from front to back and it clanks, that's normal. It's just where the bar hits the limit of the tie rods. It's the left to right movement that should be of concern. Check to see if the track bar bushing at the axle moves when you turn the wheel left to right. The rubber bushing is way too soft. Also check the tie rod at the pitman arm of the drag link. This is a weak point. Put your thumb across the pitman arm and the tie rod, feel for lateral and up and down movement across them as the wheel is moved back and forth. Obviously, you will need a buddy. I had to bring this to the dealers attention, they may simply drive it and say that it is normal without actually looking at what is happening at these spots. Good luck!

Sponsored

Ben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (White)
I fixed my steering! No thanks to the Dealer! Unfortunately, it cost me $500 out of pocket. I replaced the drag link with a Synergy and the track bar with a JKS adjustable.

I shouldn't have had to, but I couldn't wait for parts nor have the dealer refuse to replace even though a Star Case exist that says otherwise. I waited over 60 days for the failed drag link tie rod, dealer could not tell me when it would be available. A week ago, the Synergy drag link completely remedied that issue. Yesterday, i replaced the track bar with the JKS. The weak factory bushing is the culprit. The JKS is robust and strong. Absolutely no movement as with the factory.

Everything feels solid, none of the sloshy-swaying. Always felt the axle sway underneath, that is gone. I put 50 miles since yesterday, winding back roads and highway. Tracks straight and the wandering is gone. Any movement left in the wheel is in the steering box and any corrections having to be made I can attribute it to the road surface, but that is normal.

I'm very satisfied with the results! In my case, I only have Rubicon take-off wheel and tires and suspension. So, these two upgrades solved everything to my satisfaction. All that is left is the rear axle knocking and clunking. I have been waiting 74 days for bearings! Beyond ridiculous!

IMG_0759.jpeg
The Trackbar and Draglink replacement is the same fix for this guys loose steering issue. 5:30 seconds into the video. I think I'll just do this fix rather than waste time at the dealership. i have a 1 inch play or dead spot on both sides on the steering wheel. Makes keeping a straight line difficult especially on the freeway.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase

That's good to hear! I finally got around to swapping my drag link with the Synergy link over the weekend and it made a huge difference. I'm sure the upgraded OEM part would have had the same result as the original end at the pitman arm was shot and had visible slop in the joint, but at least I know this one will last and is way stronger than the stock part and less prone to flex. In moving the knuckles around I noticed stabilizer had a weak spot so I guess that needs to replaced also. Waiting on Synergy to release their track bar as I can see the stock soft bushings are allowing excess movement. I know there are others on the market, but I like the double adjuster Synergy uses and how their end bushings are durable yet low maintenance.

I have a similar setup with Rubicon takeoffs but am nervous about the rear end. So far at 12K miles I haven't had any issues, but it has defiantly made me step back and think twice about doing any more mods.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
This thread is helpful, especially for one who is learning about the steering parts.

My Jeep is still at the dealer for another issue and I have my loose and wandering steering as part of my case number with FCA. The service department is going to look at it after the Jeep is drivable again.

Iā€™m thinking that Iā€™ll give them this shot at the steering and if it doesnā€™t work, Iā€™ll go the aftermarket route.

Questions (Iā€™m researching, but thought Iā€™d ask here, too):

- Iā€™m reading about the drag link and track bar, is the tie rod something that should also be replaced?

- Yeti seems to be an excellent brand (we had it on our JK). Others? Metalcloak is close to me and Iā€™ll have their Cloakworks shop do the install.

Thank you all for your help and inputā€”much appreciated.
Sponsored