David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had the message "Aux switches not available, battery charging" for a couple of times I started the Jeep.

So, took it to the dealer and they said the main battery was bad. I explained about the Aux battery and asked if it was tested, "yes and passed".

Okay, then I picked it up and when I started it..... yep, same warning on dash..........

The service manager said he never heard of this, wait isn't that why I brought it in to begin with?

Said he would get with Jeep and let me know. I asked about the aux battery and he said it tested good..............

After a couple of days and calls, I told them i would bring it in and get a rental until they figure this out..........

The next day they called and said to bring it in as Jeep told them to test the aux battery as it looked like it was bad........ ????

Brought it in on an appointment at 730am and at 4pm they called and said the aux battery passed 2 times and on the third time it failed.

They are going to replace it as well, but there is a Nation wide back order for the battery and it will be a week before it comes in, picked the Jeep up again.

Asked the service manager about the voltage being high at 14.4-14.5 and was told that is normal all the time......

Asked why the battery was back ordered, a lot of them being replaced?

He went off about FCU changed vendors and now they can't get batteries for just about any vehicle.

My take on this is I will have to replace batteries about every 2 years as long as I own this Jeep. LOL

This isn't a complaint more of a laugh as they just wouldn't listen to me for any reason.............
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The ess battery should be a BBAUA200AD with 200cca and it's a glass mat battery. Generically used in various Mopar vehicles with ess. I was going to load test both batteries this weekend to get a baseline and observe how fast they degrade over time.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Great. I wish they would have just kept this thing simple.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
It was my understanding that the second battery was mainly for ESS operations and ran your radio, fan, etc. I didn't know it ran the switches. Its odd that the AUX switches aren't available when the jeeps running though. But I think DickZip has the right idea.... dual battery for the win.

Sponsored

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just had both of my batteries replaced as well. Due to almost always being combined, one being bad will eventually kill the other one as well. If this is a reoccuring problem, after warrantee runs out I will switch to the Genisis dual system.
Mine started with a very hot alternator on short drives to voltage staying on full charge, 14.0-14.4, for long periods, to not starting. The last time before replacement the Jeep had set for 5-6 days and would not even light the interior lights when I got in. Voltage was 4.1 volts.

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
So what should the normal battery voltage be when you toggle to it on the dash? mine when I first start seems to be 14-14.4?
I have never let the jeep sit for than two days? I wonder if I let it sit for a week if there would be a problem?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
How is that ? The aux switches. Not available when the jeep is running? Makes no sense. Example. Off road lights!
It was my understanding that the second battery was mainly for ESS operations and ran your radio, fan, etc. I didn't know it ran the switches. Its odd that the AUX switches aren't available when the jeeps running though. But I think DickZip has the right idea.... dual battery for the win.
Dual battery is awesome. After all. Every jeep needs 3 batteries.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
I just can’t take a chance with the toy battery and suspect main battery. There is no cell service 115 degree temps and a long walk home in the areas we off-road. What a pain to get to the small battery, hope u have a couple of hours to replace it. The way I see it, Jeep owes me 1100.00.
If I can’t even jumpstart my Jeep what good is their battery system. Just another FAIL from FCA, after more than 70 years the issues they are having are beginner mistakes. Pull up your pants Jeep and get it Done, your making enough money to get it right

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Semi related,
On my last trip thru Utah I left the fridge plugged in from 4pm until 7am the next morning. Normally pretty good about that but met some friends, , blahh blahh. Anyway, 7am, tick tick click.
Called AAA. Having heard the horror stories here about jump-starts, didn't know what to expect.
Guy shows in Green River, Utah in a personal Toyota Tacoma, (contracted thru AAA). Hooked up simple jumper cables and Bam! Started up immediately.
Just passing it on, it did jumpstart like a champ. Still a dumbass move! But all worked out

Sponsored

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
When you first start the alternator is replacing the surface charge that the starting of the engine consumed. It is also replacing the charge that slightly diminished overnight as the voltage settles to a full charge of 12.8 volts. The 14 volt alternator output is required to push the charge into the battery. Once the current, amps, falls to a preset level the alternator will vary between approx 12 volts under power to approx 14 volts when coasting to try and help fuel economy while still providing electrical power to the vehicle and keeping the battery topped up.
When the voltage does not go into a floating condition the battery is still taking in a level of current that keeps the current above the threshold that required to switch to the floating voltage. The extra current is just converted to heat and offgassing in a vented battery. If this is allowed to continue without temperature monitoring to reduce the rate of charge the battery will suffer even more degragdation. In a worst case senario this could lead to a fire.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Semi related,
On my last trip thru Utah I left the fridge plugged in from 4pm until 7am the next morning. Normally pretty good about that but met some friends, , blahh blahh. Anyway, 7am, tick tick click.
Called AAA. Having heard the horror stories here about jump-starts, didn't know what to expect.
Guy shows in Green River, Utah in a personal Toyota Tacoma, (contracted thru AAA). Hooked up simple jumper cables and Bam! Started up immediately.
Just passing it on, it did jumpstart like a champ. Still a dumbass move! But all worked out
Which fridge? No low-voltage protection I assume?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
A simple 12 volt igloo
Yeah, you’ll want to get a real fridge at some point. Our ARB fridge/freezer has never done that to us. We’ve left it plugged in and running for days in the back of our Ram wired directly to the battery with never any issues.
Sponsored