Sponsored

This is why I have a dashcam.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I'm using a Mobius Max with an under the rear view mirror mount so the police don't arrest me for obstructing a windshield. And as long as I'm not in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsssssssylvania, or Washington I can record whoever I want because everywhere else is an 1 person consent state.
dashcam.jpg
I'm pretty sure that 2 person consent laws only pertain to the recording of conversations.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...l-to-tape-people-without-their-knowledge.html
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Happened this morning:

18 wheeler ran a blatant red light, luckily I wasn't sleeping at the wheels like him. Didn't look like it was something I could have walked away from.

Last edited:

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I'm pretty sure that 2 person consent laws only pertain to the recording of conversations.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...l-to-tape-people-without-their-knowledge.html
Yes, but one issue I saw was where a guy’s expensive muscle car was abused by some valets. There were questions whether the audio would have been admissible since they could have assumed some degree of privacy in a car, even if it wasn’t their car.

Video though is a no brainer unless you drive your car into someone’s house. That footage is probably not allowed.

Weird Wint

First Name
Wint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
I'm using a Mobius Max with an under the rear view mirror mount so the police don't arrest me for obstructing a windshield. And as long as I'm not in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsssssssylvania, or Washington I can record whoever I want because everywhere else is an 1 person consent state.

Power is a difficult one. I'm in an 1 person consent state, but it's a hot 1 person consent state so a lithium battery is a bad idea in the summer. Instead it's a super capacitor with a USB cable running up into the rear view mirror base, along the windshield, down the A column, tucked behind the glove box, and popping back up through the trim around the gearbox. From there it plugs into the Jeep's USB port, but I use a right angle adapter so it's stays flush with the plastic. If anyone's curious, that is 10 feet of USB cord.

Jeeps provide power for one hour on that port and I'm paranoid about battery drains so I have an on/off USB switch just to be sure. I'm usually good about turning it on and off. I'd be better off wiring it directly to the fuse box, but I'm not good with electricity.

The only cool thing I've ever captured was a double rainbow.

dashcam.jpg
Just so you know, for states like California, you can record video as much as you want in a public place, just not the audio. you have to ask them for permission to use the audio.

bishop404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Dash cameras are illegal in most states. Why is nobody even talking about that? They are windshield obstructions, not to mention data privacy laws...restrictions...etc.
Supreme Court has ruled that you have no right to privacy if you are out in public. And driving down a public street constitutes "being out in public".

Advice from the Armchair Lawyer.

Sponsored

fightingmajor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited Punk'n Orange

Power is a difficult one. I'm in an 1 person consent state, but it's a hot 1 person consent state so a lithium battery is a bad idea in the summer. Instead it's a super capacitor with a USB cable running up into the rear view mirror base, along the windshield, down the A column, tucked behind the glove box, and popping back up through the trim around the gearbox. From there it plugs into the Jeep's USB port, but I use a right angle adapter so it's stays flush with the plastic. If anyone's curious, that is 10 feet of USB cord.

Jeeps provide power for one hour on that port and I'm paranoid about battery drains so I have an on/off USB switch just to be sure. I'm usually good about turning it on and off. I'd be better off wiring it directly to the fuse box, but I'm not good with electricity.

The only cool thing I've ever captured was a double rainbow.

dashcam.jpg
How is it mounted to the mirror?

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

Either this was an attempt at an insurance scam or this guy isn't a fan of the JL. Regardless, this idiot is one of several reasons why I have a dashcam.
Looked to me like they wanted to change the lane but pulled to close to the car ahead of them. Still a good idea for the dash cam though !

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Went to the grocery store and saw some people looking at my jeep so I decided to check the camera:

It’s a bit hard to hear but pretty funny.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Looked to me like they wanted to change the lane but pulled to close to the car ahead of them. Still a good idea for the dash cam though !
Oh no. This guy wanted to start shit with me. He was flipping me off and brake checking me before I ended up passing him.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I have this guy hardwired into my rear cargo area outlet. Always on - all the time. (I got the additional GPS adapter which also includes speed just incase I got pulled over and the oink-oink tries to pull a fast one on it).

This is a front and rear facing camera. Best investment/mod I could ever get for my jeep.

https://www.amazon.com/N2-Pro-Infrared-1920x1080P-2560x1440P/dp/B0742J69SQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=N6C19PNEHK3D&keywords=n2+pro+dash+cam&qid=1562067797&s=gateway&sprefix=n2+,aps,160&sr=8-3
That's not a problem for battery life? I have no idea how much 5v of consumption would impact a modern car battery over a couple of days.

What is the camera mounted to in the back?
Sponsored