Recovery boards

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
What are the best recovery boards for the money? I know Maxtrack is out there but I also know about the heavy price tag they carry with them.. Are there any similar quality or even better quality options for less?
Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
After reading and watching a lot of reviews, I opted to go with the Maxtrax recovery boards.

Personally, I looked for reasons to buy less expensive boards. However, everything lead me back to the Maxtrax. At the end of the day, having something is better than not.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have experience with the cheaper recovery tracks, but I do have experience with Maxtrax when a buddy and I got stuck in deep snow this past winter. They worked well, however, a lot of the little nubs on them broke right off after one use. If those nubs aren't there, the tracks are pretty useless since they're the main source of traction for the tires to grab onto. Kind of surprising since we didn't use them that hard. Just spun the tires on them a bit when getting unstuck. These weren't used on rocks/mud/etc. My buddy emailed Maxtrax about it and they said they don't warranty damage like that but they did offer him a 10% discount on the purchase of another set....not a satisfactory response in my opinion. I'll post a pic of the boards if my friend still has it on his phone.

So if/when I decide to get a set of these, I will opt for one of the cheaper brands and see how they compare.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don't have experience with the cheaper recovery tracks, but I do have experience with Maxtrax when a buddy and I got stuck in deep snow this past winter. They worked well, however, a lot of the little nubs on them broke right off after one use. If those nubs aren't there, the tracks are pretty useless since they're the main source of traction for the tires to grab onto. Kind of surprising since we didn't use them that hard. Just spun the tires on them a bit when getting unstuck. These weren't used on rocks/mud/etc. My buddy emailed Maxtrax about it and they said they don't warranty damage like that but they did offer him a 10% discount on the purchase of another set....not a satisfactory response in my opinion. I'll post a pic of the boards if my friend still has it on his phone.

So if/when I decide to get a set of these, I will opt for one of the cheaper brands and see how they compare.
My friend bought a cheaper brand from eBay and it cracked after first use, we were up at Mt Cheam to help a fella stuck in deep snow and he offered his boards, still usable but not sure for how long. I think having knobs rubbed off is still a better trade-off!

Last edited:

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I recently used a pair of Maxtrax to get my Jeep off of a high center on a snow bank. No damage to the treads/nubs. I was happy to have them.

One of the Aussie overlander YouTubers did a comparison between Maxtrax and a cheaper brand. I donā€™t have the link, but a little searching should turn it up.

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
They worked well, however, a lot of the little nubs on them broke right off after one use. ... Just spun the tires on them a bit when getting unstuck.
From the instructions:

5. Engage low ratio, first gear and GENTLY accelerate. DO NOT SPIN YOUR WHEELS! The slow rotation allows the tyres to grip the lugs on top of the MAXTRAX and draw them under. Wheel spin will damage your MAXTRAX (by generating sufficient heat to melt the material and burn off the teeth), and dig you in deeper. MAXTRAX damaged by wheel spin are not covered under warranty.​

One of the Aussie overlander YouTubers did a comparison between Maxtrax and a cheaper brand. I donā€™t have the link, but a little searching should turn it up.

I was surprised how well the knock-offs did.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Have any of you considered the Traction Jack (https://www.tractionjack.com/)?

I was in the market about 2 months ago and did a bunch of searching. I looked at the Traction Jack, MAXTRAX, Smittybilt, and a bunch of other knock-offs. After a ton of research and reviews I narrowed it down to the Traction Jack or MAXTRAX. In the end I went with the Traction Jack because it was the only one that could fold up small enough to fit in the back of my JL with all of the rest of my gear AND they are the only company that offers a replacement warranty for damage (even if it's your fault).

So far I have been very happy with the Traction Jack. They are durable, strong, and the hinge feature actually worked out well to prevent them from hitting the body or creating too steep of an incline to get out. They are on the heavy side, but the strength and fold up capability is well worth it. They also have multiple mounting options with an optional carrying bag, including spare tire and roof rack mounting. I would highly recommend anyone check them out if they haven't already.

Here is a YouTube video with a quick overview of some of the various traction board options (including the Traction Jack).

I hope this helps someone out. Getting stuck is no fun. Especially when you are by yourself in the middle of the desert sand.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
XBULL

Maxipads are overpriced. There is no magical plastic people. It's all marketing HYPE and BS.

I have A LOT of experience using cheaper boards to recover full-size trucks and SUV's with a set I've had since 2014. No cracks, no issues. Another friend of mine is with the Colorado 4X4 Rescue & Recovery and that's all they use. He's said he's seen first-hand guys burn the knobs right off Maxtrax.

The only real advantage of the Maxtrax is how well they stack. And the aftermarket mounting support.

Out in 2 minutes with my cheapies.

c_oc=AQnhLdwelVZSnwyOTKFEjc2idPrJQWNz8svH7c37C0H28wBILsHrvleNnSzNcJBLt6s&_nc_ht=scontent.fboi1-1.jpg

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've ran the Smittybilt traction boards for the last 5 years or so and they are beat, broken and missing a majority of the nubs, however they could still get me out of a sticky situation. This year I switched up to the ARB TredPro and there is no question they are better quality and the nubs don't break close to as easy as the smittybilt did.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
IMHO, if you have the coin, MaxTrax. In looking around, there are some cheap knockoffs that have poor reviews. But like @OffroadTreks I went with the XBULL. Yeah, they may eventually break...then it's winching or getting pulled out...but until then, they're a solid option that won't break the bank.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
if you're worried about breaking the nubs off, ActionTrax makes a model with replaceable metal teeth. Their boards aren't cheap tbough, and I can only imagine the carnage to your tires if you were to spin your wheels on them.

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In theory the ARB TRED pros have a lifetime warranty.... I'm yet to test this theory though. As for spinning on the tracks I've found that most of my damage to mine doesn't come from me using them, but others spinning tires on them.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
From the instructions:

5. Engage low ratio, first gear and GENTLY accelerate. DO NOT SPIN YOUR WHEELS! The slow rotation allows the tyres to grip the lugs on top of the MAXTRAX and draw them under. Wheel spin will damage your MAXTRAX (by generating sufficient heat to melt the material and burn off the teeth), and dig you in deeper. MAXTRAX damaged by wheel spin are not covered under warranty.​

I was surprised how well the knock-offs did.
Those instructions are all well and good unless you were stuck in mud, snow, or sand where you need to get wheel speed and momentum before you come off the end of them or youā€™ll be repositioning them a dozen times trying to crawl out. The traction boards are a wear item in my opinion. Use them until they are worn out and then replace them.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I"m a fan of maxtrax. They work well and out perform everyone else. When it comes to recovery I want good gear that I can count on. I've seen a lot of people say Treds warranties their boards, but if you break one that doesn't help you get out.

Recovery boards are super helpful and quick to recover. For some people and certain areas they may not be best. Snow wheeling they're so quick and effective I use them a ton there. On rocks and hang ups like that I prefer to winch myself out. I have not used them in Sand, but I would suspect they work well in sand, and I avoid mud (it kills vehicles) so haven't needed them to recover there.

If you get maxtrax, I highly recommend this mount by Expedition Essentials, not cheap, but locks the boards well that you can trust they will be there in the morning. I don't leave mine on my jeep, but when I travel on overland trips I do sometimes stop at restaurants and motels.
https://expeditionessentials.com/co...tion/products/recovery-board-quick-mount-rbqm
Jeep Wrangler JL Recovery boards IMG_6488
Sponsored