OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Starting to clean up some of the "little" stuff that got put off before I picked up....

ew3hNJAs5eFcvVEviNZyE2Bjt9nNVFl20itTmC3EjeyvVhjjAOC3bj6999KldH7HGnHkB1dcjWkjyWhf-4XlNaGvPg=w2400.jpg

Added the center caps that I forgot to order before. The issue I had with Racline is that they don't come with center cap's, and if you look at their selection, there are probably 40 pictures of wheels, but there isn't anything that says which cap works with which wheel. Had to call into Raceline to give them my wheel part number, and them to cross reference it, so I knew which was the cap for my wheel. Just wish they had that little extra bit up on their website.

nXhxefE_I67DH9F3ja96i3ZioLHWAHc51fvJG1dbcdiUR9Al4cAU6UElmORbZqbtLOIYPwm6tsqIHU3-VB2wZWYWtw=w2400.jpg

Added the KC Flex Array 10" Light Bar from KC Hilites. I wanted something small that I could mount on top the winch, and fit the light between the stinger arms. I really didn't want the higher mount, pretty pleased with them, sorry the picture kinda sucks.

6hgerFliLs8PxLwMzjbz-dNhPJ8UgkYDpiXu5J7BQgRvVi7zfuPhfEDVwGpWxW-Eu9cizvkm8j8OpConmFFzkZp3yQ=w2400.jpg

Finally, got the i-Drive installed an mounted. Debated on where to mount it, but this was the best spot I could that was out of the way, but that I could still read the display. Tough surface to mount it though, as it really doesn't want to stick. Early impression is very good. I set it in the ultimate performance mode at 5, and eventually moved it to 6, but now I feel like I have instant power our the gas pedal with no delay. With the ProCharger it feels infinitely better, I don't want to say it drives like a sports car, because it doesn't, but it doesn't, at least on the road, feel like a Jeep. It's far improved. Real test will be this weekend when I put it in 4-Low and do some crawling, that's really where I want the improved performance.

Finally, the Power Tank monster valves are great, but I had stem that had been leaking (8-10 lbs every 24 hours), we'd started with teflon tape, then to teflon paste, but the solution was pipe dope. These stems don't have a nut on the bottom, and it's very few threads (4-5) so there isn't a lot going into the wheel, and it's not a typical valve stem thread, it's really a pipe thread. Right tool for the right job, instantly solved things.

A small adjustment to the tire carrier resulted in a cleaner open and close, and not a ton left to do....for now....
Sponsored

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Doing what it was built to do:

YIPbQgcmYZd9ysN9Z6jOyfNzGYe7ARZoaH_DH4O1XTEQ2OWEeqyrhl1PLazECBX7Wvscv6De9IlNA7KrLNKUAhlzcA=w2400.jpg

txjeew6u0i-fW72LxMJTvPraaFgz1DmTJcYtlW28f5Asd6ZzzeAnKLianoOeyflhEq1bxw8LMLvkNN5zynz8YrfEmA=w2400.jpg

CjTub1jcMNNCtaDJxeR8baMZikKUZDjML50J_4CVJ2djiFYUXjJMlH8vIb8SC2Cl98BgctyTII6UTGFj7m5tju0qPw=w2400.jpg

AoYjkCRPDBrIA8zxByh5PZQvWJVfF11Bf1UsbSTUSANBSkteICLRkquXFCJqNn4PtaCTEen-dKsh89vSr-O3HoRo3Q=w2400.jpg

Updated Opinions:

i-Drive on the trails is worth it. I get power immediately, it eliminates that lag that I had a couple of weeks ago, and made bumping infinitely easier than it was. However I'm noticing some "surging" while at low idle, and that has caused me a few issues while crawling. That's something I need to get ironed out, at least one thing I needed some help with (the lack of instant power) has been solved.

Also, Bestop top.....I've got the same issue other folks have reported, and I'm not getting a great seal in back. Below 70 MPH, Jeep is quiet as can be, but at expressway speeds (70+-85) it's ridiculously loud, and I can hear it flapping hard in the back. I'll reach out to Bestop for a solution, as I understand they have been sending out a part that may or may not work, but is a potential fix for the issue.

Front inner fenders still need some trimming. We had to field fix the passenger side one, and need to look at it for a permanent solution, because the driver side does rub as well at close to full turn.

Finally, remaining parts are in, so setting up a couple of days in two weeks to get it in, and really finish it all up. Absolutely thrilled with the build, everything that has come up has really been about fine tuning or perfecting, nothing that has me wishing I'd gone in a different direction.

Last edited:

Weird Wint

First Name
Wint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
As it sits today:

9FJTAmTNv0irFifSiEULI07Zs3dIw42EjTmLwDVJ-5Nf3iSgASWBQdrCkuTzqhNBmcNkrfhv3TPoqil8IABIVMPTLw=w2400.jpg

-TyUvx4KafZjETWEI3Ufvi-jdfdIuRRmT_PE90eeaYjLQkv9a5vXTjqHc2Ybfy1f6T0V2JS4zkiJRvCjYpBgNqAM-g=w2400.jpg

Doing what it should be doing:

W-e4hxyIzYogcfbbzKq0JVOKuqNYawArmGYEqAmKDJV37ZeeMfCkoVv4Mst0t4gQ-qN2Z98A0XE2j4ZwgHu9ZO5viQ=w2400.jpg

And that's a little video of it for the first time taking to the trail. Like anyone, I went immediately to one of the harder trails at Hidden Falls, Loose Rock (There are a few tip overs and rolls every year on the trail) to see if we could get it done. Video is synced and spliced from a few cameras, and yes, we got past the intro, when someone else had a Jeep break on the trail. It was repaired at a 35-37 degree angle (I was impressed) but it took a few hours, so the ride up was completed at night.

Biggest issue that night (got way better the next day as I was learning the throttle) was the delay between hitting the gas, and having it go with the turbo charger, not a fan of that lag. I'd hit it, and it would a split second to a second before it would engage. My belief is that the i-Drive Throttle Controller will help eliminate that. I did get better the next day with more seat time, but we'll see going forward.

What camera were you using on your dash facing forward? looks like it has good stability.

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
**EDIT 5/7/19....Looks like the Trektop issue has a solution.

Did some wheeling this weekend, and as always, had an absolutely great time, but trying to work out a couple of issues. Issues first, then gratuitous pictures of wheeling.....

Pretty sure that I'm not getting any kind of a good seal from the Trektop NX, although I'm not sure if the problem is on that end, or on the tire carrier end of things.

IF0-YOLb2zN-4SEtqn1feRwVLku_dEXUsLGnJHA1-kdSOdtQmYTN6cFZAEwkrqFALwPs8GPnmFDI3IuZL=w2502-h1876-no.jpg

K9OEMuXvQx7DzCdyORkfCg86o2qhugChz9V74RGhLnBEWQecE2f6nQYC7cpRPztqwmsYkbxFqbXPy_uPA=w2502-h1876-no.jpg

Those pictures kind of suck, but the short version is there is a decent sized gap, just in the middle of the tailgate where the top of the frame doesn't seal with the tailgate. Tailgate still swings freely, and closes fine, and the fascia there would be hit and not allow a smooth opening or closing if the gate itself was bending downwards. I need to contact Bestop first, since I'd heard there were some issues with the seal, and then ACE secondly to see if this could be a result of the slant back tire carrier and the weight.

Second issue is continued "surging". I'm learning to deal with it, but it happens at a low idle, and it's especially bad for me in 4L, when I'm expecting to go from 2 MPH to 4 MPH, and I get a surge to 7 MPH. It's not the i-Drive. I'm thinking it's a glitch in the tune from ProCharger, and that's another call.

Little details, once they are ironed out, it'll be perfect for me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Update to the Trektop situation is that Bestop looked at the pictures, and video, and let me know, within a couple of hours, that there two issues, and they'll get the parts out to me ASAP to get it fixed.

I work for an equipment manufacturer, and I know what QC can mean, and I realize that things come off the line less than perfect, or someone can make a mistake, and therefore while I'd like everything to be perfect out of the box, I have a ton of respect for the companies that make things right. I may not expect them to be perfect, but I judge them based on how they deal with things when there is an issue.

We will have to see if these couple of things fix it, but could not be happier with Bestop's response (both here and via e-mail), and I'll update when the parts are in.

Just one picture for fun....

fHI5kR0QAXLnyrMmS0yQG7paQHjIuKzIXLi-mB0IQ4YnHsNKCcfM8RnIn3JQk9YGQoZJgkXvqZwxkIYuE=w1408-h1876-no.jpg

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
I saw the title of this thread, and couldn't help thinking of some of the movie quotes.

In my best Wyatt Earp:

"Skin that smoke wagon and go to work!..."

Nice rig OP!!!

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Still need to get the replacement top on (times when traveling for work is just not a lot of fun!) but Bestop did get it out very fast, so lots of credit to them for doing that. Now that I'm back home, should get that on tomorrow.

Quick video, fun exit from Royal Gorge out at Hidden Falls

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Bestop came thru!

I completed the install today, new top, rear window, and gasket for the tailgate bar, and that took care of the noise and flapping issue that I had. It's quiet as can be, even cruising at 85, once again I can hear phone conversations, music, and talk to someone in the car without raising my voice to be heard. I don't know what the "fixed" part was, but it did the trick!

Took some co-workers on a tour out at Hidden Falls the other day, and being out in the park, sunshine, blue skies...good for the soul!

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Your jeep is costing me money, love your build. That ace bumper is on sale right now I may grab it, but then I have to get a trektop. I really want a hard top trektop though. :( I haven't heard anything about that..

Your last vids broken btw, video unavailable

simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
great build! specially due to no long arms and coils - hence its "affordable" and good mix of parts!!

this thread needs updates :)

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
ProCharger getting installed:

fNheHLdcMCzSlq6kTxn7WzTSpdv4AtDHXbrypYNyQGm_x1ylgtSKQIkbFW6pEIAfXxvshrUW-KF-y58JcO2FewAScw=w2400.jpg

More pictures and details on this thread on the forums.

Video of the ProCharger w/magnaflow exhaust:

What kind of Gas do you run before and after the install of the procharger? did you do a custom dyno tune?
Sick Build!! Love it
Sponsored