35" and 37" JL pics with lift kit

matchews

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Can you do me a favor and measure the distance from the bottom of the frame rail (under the front door) to the ground? I'm curious how your breakover clearance compares to a JK on 35s with 3.5" lift.
I'll do that when I can. I just got home from a 13 hour day at work, and I'm back at it early tomorrow. Maybe Saturday I can take a measurement for you.

One thing to remember. Looks are wonderful, but they don't always add up to good off-road performance. The JLUR has got tremendous flex in the suspension, especially with the sway bar disconnected. If you put 37's on that 2" lift, you'll get some rubbing unless you take fender liners out or modify the fender wells in some way, or if you get wheels that stick way out, which puts more stress on the axles (leverage). I want this thing to be able to fully flex, even with the wheel at full lock in either direction, with the sway bar disconnected, and have no rubbing. This lift/tire/wheel combo should handle burying the wheels way up in the wells, with no rub. I happen to think it looks perfect, because I like looks to reflect function. That's why I like a Wrangler in the first place. Everybody has their own opinions, and that makes the Jeep world MUCH more interesting. There were other considerations, too. I wanted a good ride on the road. Check. I wanted good handling, not wallowy mush or bone-jarring stiffness. It is just right, for me. Check. I wanted a substantial increase in breakover angle, but not so much height that I have to climb up into it. Check. (I'm 6'5"). I wanted it to track straight and true and not follow the grooves in the road. It feels just like it did with the 33's. Check. I didn't want to lose much power from the engine, due to the larger diameter tires. It didn't lose much at all, and the gearing/engine still feels really good. Check. I didn't want the steering to become too vague, again, due to the large tires. Check. I wanted an overall feeling of stability not much different than the stock configuration. Check.

I was honestly VERY nervous about each of those desires. I felt so strongly about it that I was willing to take it all off and go back to the 33's if it wasn't just right, even if I had to swallow a significant loss of money. I feel very lucky it turned out the way it did. I haven't had it off road yet, but I've farted around a bit with it where I can, and so far it feels like it will be a real champ off road, easily besting my JK, which has been amazing.

This configuration happens to work for me, but those are all just my preferences and desires. Someone else may feel completely differently That said, I can't wait to see the different configurations others come up with. That'll be my next new phase of enjoyment with this forum.

Now, I've got a couple things to do to her next. First, the winch needs the kit so I can install it. Then, I've got a 10" LED light bar for the front bumper. (The LED's are so good, I'm not totally sure I need it now.) Then, I'm going to equip it like my JK, with a winch accessory bag, a backpack with basic survival gear and a change of clothes, and other related stuff, tow straps, a receiver mounted shackle, and a fire extinguisher and mount. That's all for another thread, though.[/QUOTE]

Dilly Dilly!!

All good feedback Dan. Thank you (for helping sway my decision into the lift). What is the make and model of your LED light bar? Are you installing it on the Mopar winch guard/hoop? If so, are there mounting brackets available? The Mopar LED's are a bit pricey.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The light bar is an Inspired Engineering 14" Prismatic light bar. It has backlighting, so it can be used as a running light on the road or as a regular full-on off-road light. I'm not getting the hoop. It will attach right to the steel bumper.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Can you do me a favor and measure the distance from the bottom of the frame rail (under the front door) to the ground? I'm curious how your breakover clearance compares to a JK on 35s with 3.5" lift.
I'll do that when I can. I just got home from a 13 hour day at work, and I'm back at it early tomorrow. Maybe Saturday I can take a measurement for you.

One thing to remember. Looks are wonderful, but they don't always add up to good off-road performance. The JLUR has got tremendous flex in the suspension, especially with the sway bar disconnected. If you put 37's on that 2" lift, you'll get some rubbing unless you take fender liners out or modify the fender wells in some way, or if you get wheels that stick way out, which puts more stress on the axles (leverage). I want this thing to be able to fully flex, even with the wheel at full lock in either direction, with the sway bar disconnected, and have no rubbing. This lift/tire/wheel combo should handle burying the wheels way up in the wells, with no rub. I happen to think it looks perfect, because I like looks to reflect function. That's why I like a Wrangler in the first place. Everybody has their own opinions, and that makes the Jeep world MUCH more interesting. There were other considerations, too. I wanted a good ride on the road. Check. I wanted good handling, not wallowy mush or bone-jarring stiffness. It is just right, for me. Check. I wanted a substantial increase in breakover angle, but not so much height that I have to climb up into it. Check. (I'm 6'5"). I wanted it to track straight and true and not follow the grooves in the road. It feels just like it did with the 33's. Check. I didn't want to lose much power from the engine, due to the larger diameter tires. It didn't lose much at all, and the gearing/engine still feels really good. Check. I didn't want the steering to become too vague, again, due to the large tires. Check. I wanted an overall feeling of stability not much different than the stock configuration. Check.

I was honestly VERY nervous about each of those desires. I felt so strongly about it that I was willing to take it all off and go back to the 33's if it wasn't just right, even if I had to swallow a significant loss of money. I feel very lucky it turned out the way it did. I haven't had it off road yet, but I've farted around a bit with it where I can, and so far it feels like it will be a real champ off road, easily besting my JK, which has been amazing.

This configuration happens to work for me, but those are all just my preferences and desires. Someone else may feel completely differently That said, I can't wait to see the different configurations others come up with. That'll be my next new phase of enjoyment with this forum.

Now, I've got a couple things to do to her next. First, the winch needs the kit so I can install it. Then, I've got a 10" LED light bar for the front bumper. (The LED's are so good, I'm not totally sure I need it now.) Then, I'm going to equip it like my JK, with a winch accessory bag, a backpack with basic survival gear and a change of clothes, and other related stuff, tow straps, a receiver mounted shackle, and a fire extinguisher and mount. That's all for another thread, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you DanW. Thanks for all the functional insights, I've been wondering how it drives with 35s and the Mopar lift. I'm all after function first as well and personally really like how it looks. I wonder what CTI rating your Jeep can get with this setup. I bet it would be very impressive.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

I'm with you on a lot of the same points you made. Only thing that I am not 100% happy with is the fact that it is actually a 3" lift not a 2. I got at least 3 out of it. I also hope on road ride gets better. I think a higher speeds and on roads that aren't perfect it could be smoother. Maybe it will "break in" over time, but it is higher than expected

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR

Now, I've got a couple things to do to her next. First, the winch needs the kit so I can install it. Then, I've got a 10" LED light bar for the front bumper. (The LED's are so good, I'm not totally sure I need it now.) Then, I'm going to equip it like my JK, with a winch accessory bag, a backpack with basic survival gear and a change of clothes, and other related stuff, tow straps, a receiver mounted shackle, and a fire extinguisher and mount. That's all for another thread, though.
Agreed. I run smallish 35s With the 3.5" AEV lift. Some people think it makes the tires look small since they'll fit with only 2" lift. But that's the best handling suspension height from AEV. And 35s were the best size compromise. But now I live close enough to work to not care about compromise anymore [Insert Tim The Toolman Taylor's grunt here]

The reason I asked about the frame clearance is that I'm hoping 37s and a 2-3" lift will on the JL will offer the same breakover as a JKUR on 35s with 3.5" lift.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Here are some photos from a guy in our club, from instagram. He's installed several JL lifts..This 37's with the Mopar 2". It's not rubbing at full flex, although it's close.

jl37s.JPG

jl37s2.JPG

jl37s3.JPG

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some photos from a guy in our club, from instagram. He's installed several JL lifts..This 37's with the Mopar 2". It's not rubbing at full flex, although it's close.

jl37s.JPG

jl37s2.JPG

jl37s3.JPG
That is good news! Then I should have room for not only my 35's, but a good layer of mud on them, too!

Wait....it doesn't say if the swaybar is disconnected. Also, it is only being lifted on one wheel. We need to see opposite front and rears lifted to full flex. Then, we'll know for sure. Still, that is promising, as most folks won't even get it to that level of flex off road.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger

Dan, I have zero idea what some of these people are talking about. Your Jeep looks PERFECT!

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger

Bayshore Automotive has this lifted JLUR on 37’s:

B81018CE-C94F-4CEA-BA1C-FF45C20D0D39.jpeg
17ACBA27-9E14-438C-BF09-6DEDED40CD4B.jpeg
F69709CE-73A5-49A0-9E94-49FD67B864EF.jpeg
Is that with the 2" lift? Maybe it's the 20's but it looks like it's bigger than 2".

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
From some pics and angles, the 35’s and 2” Mopar lift look perfect, and then I see some and it looks like I would rather go 37’s....

I have a feeling I may need to see this lift and 35’s in person first before I can pull the trigger.

We need to get some comparison pics of the two in the same picture, side by side, front view etc...

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From some pics and angles, the 35’s and 2” Mopar lift look perfect, and then I see some and it looks like I would rather go 37’s....

I have a feeling I may need to see this lift and 35’s in person first before I can pull the trigger.

We need to get some comparison pics of the two in the same picture, side by side, front view etc...
To me, it looks much better in person with 35s.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

I’d see it in person. Honestly I wish I betted 2” not 3”. Kinda pissed honestly. Feels too high on the road. Actually gaining 2” is what I wanted

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
These lifts are going to settle over the first few weeks. I'm betting at least 1/2".