Driving our JL To Costa Rica

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Make sure you and the misses wear good hiking boots. You’re going to need them for the forced march through the jungle.
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I will take...shit I will never do for $1000 alex.

I do however plan on taking a jeep north from NJ, across Canada to Alaska, then down the west coast, zig zagging around the US for years and camping when I retire.

My wife isn't even down with that adventure, so looks like I will be getting a dog when I am 60 lol

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for your concern and advice. People, Americans and non-Americans, make this drive every single day. They make this drive in all kinds of vehicles, by themselves, with their children, and with their wives. There is so much research on the internet about driving the PanAmerican Pacific highway. We hope that by blogging this trip we can show that it isn’t the scariest thing to do and it can be done by regular people in a 2 door Jeep with a 12 year old chihuahua.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
For the folks not around the southern border states...the border towns are sketchy at best. Lots of cartel activity and corruption. Once you get into Mexico it isn’t bad. Animals pray on the easy targets, hence occasional issues around tourist areas. That said the government knows how bad for business that is and really tries to curb it.

This will be an amazing trip and lots of memories to be made. Mexico is a beautiful country and full of wonderful and friendly people. There are bad apples just like anywhere but when you’re not looking for trouble it seldom finds you.

Brett

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to following this Adventure. Just remember,
"Help, Police" has a different meaning South of the Border.

Sponsored

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
I'm just back from Costa Rica, I wish I'd had my Wrangler on many of their 'roads'. Down on the Nicoya Peninsula it was quite fun trying to navigate the steep, rocky, potholed roads in my rental Vitara. Would be awesome in the Wrangler. Wife and I did some (daytime) driving in Mexico too, was fine. You guys sound like you know what you're doing, have a great trip... Pura Vida!

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I have multiple properties in mexico and vacation there regularly. Having said this I will say you sir are a courageous man. I hope you know about the triangle of death and avoid it. As for firearms, your trip would stop at the border instantly If you brought one, and if you are not trained to use one then you're better off using your words and praying. Hope you have a wonderful trip, I've always wanted to do that.

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018 JL
Have a great journey, look forward to reading about your trip! By keeping up to date and avoiding certain areas, should be great! Relocating to Los Barriles, BCS, end of this month, and I can't wait to get Joe down for some off-road adventures and also cross to the mainland by ferry and visit cities like Guadalajara and Oaxaca again, which we love.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
This sounds like the tread about the guy who drove his JKU around Africa. He posted about his trip and everyone said he was stupid and would be dead within a week. 1,000 days later and he just finished.

I say good luck! People regularly do the Pan-Am highway and with some planning Central America has some beautiful spots to visit along the way!
Sponsored