OBDII T- Harness Long (Jeep) for the original TazerJL

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just got my "OBDII T- Harness Long (Jeep)" for the TazerJL. The box it came in says to go to their /instructions web page. Well I went there but could not find the instructions for it.

Has anyone installed this yet? If so how? @joe@zauto, @Rhinebeck01
Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I figured it out. The two long wires go behind the glove box. If you remove the glove box you will see where they go and they are color coded. After that I removed the stock OBDII port from it's metal clip and plugged it into the T-Harness. This leaves two OBDII ports that you can use. One is behind the firewall and one isn't. The one that has all the black wires is the one that is still behind the firewall and you mount that to the same place that the original OBDII was. The other one is for the TazerJL.

The great thing about this setup is that I no longer have to use the bypass module that plugs into the SGW Security Gateway!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I figured it out. The two long wires go behind the glove box. If you remove the glove box you will see where they go and they are color coded. After that I removed the stock OBDII port from it's metal clip and plugged it into the T-Harness. This leaves two OBDII ports that you can use. One is behind the firewall and one isn't. The one that has all the black wires is the one that is still behind the firewall and you mount that to the same place that the original OBDII was. The other one is for the TazerJL.

The great thing about this setup is that I no longer have to use the bypass module that plugs into the SGW Security Gateway!

Do you have any install pictures? Have you taken you Jeep to the dealership with the new obdii port - non the wiser techs I assume?

Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase

Iā€™m trying to install now. If you can point me in the right direction of how the wires hook up on the glove box side, itā€™d be much appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Iā€™m trying to install now. If you can point me in the right direction of how the wires hook up on the glove box side, itā€™d be much appreciated.
Well it's been a long time but from what I remember, just remove the glove box and there will be two plugin bars easily seen. I think it is pretty much color coded to the wire on the harness so it should be simple to figure out. If you still can't figure it out, let me know and I will remove my glovebox and take a pic.

Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Well it's been a long time but from what I remember, just remove the glove box and there will be two plugin bars easily seen. I think it is pretty much color coded to the wire on the harness so it should be simple to figure out. If you still can't figure it out, let me know and I will remove my glovebox and take a pic.
Thanks for the reply. I saw your earlier post and found the bars. I simply plugged the wires into an open color coded slot. Joe also verified that was correct procedure. All works as advertised and did away with the bypass module to boot!

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my "OBDII T- Harness Long (Jeep)" for the TazerJL. The box it came in says to go to their /instructions web page. Well I went there but could not find the instructions for it.

Has anyone installed this yet? If so how? @joe@zauto, @Rhinebeck01
I saw on the website that you lose Navigation in Motion and TurnCam. Are there any other features you lose using this setup?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I have a couple of questions:
1) With this kit, I no longer need to use the Bypass to use the Tazer? The bypass being that stupid process that I need to unplug cables that are where my fat hands cannot fit, and then plug those cables into the module that comes with the tazer?

2) The wires go behind the glovebox, which is on the passenger side. The OBDII is obviously on the driver side. Did you route your wires i that gap behind the center console, out the smaller hole on the passenger side? Did you have to tear into the center console to do the wire routing? I found instructions on getting to the plugs under the glovebox here:

Instructions on the Tazer site would be nice!

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I have exactly the same questions :like: ... and even request for more information on the siteTazer

Last edited:

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @willcasp and @SwissSteph
Have a look at the installation instruction for the AEV ProCal SNAP. https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...JL-Gladiator-JT-Installation-Instructions.pdf
It wires in a similar fashion, but inserts pins into the OBD port instead of using a y-cable/T-harness like the Tazer. I have a tazer and bought their T-Harness because I didn't want to deal with the bypass modules. I only received it a few days ago so I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but the AEV directions gave me a general idea on how to install the long wires under the glove box. Looks simple: hook up the T-harness, run the wire to the glove box, and plug white into white then green into green. But, yeah...Z-Automotive should have included some install documentation.

I do have to say though, that Z-Automotive's customer service is top notch. I ordered the T-Harness and when it arrived, one of the wires came out of the crimped connector. I reached out to them and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label to send back the defective harness and then shipped me out a new one.
I'll probably do the install this weekend.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @ExitLeft
Thank you for your explanation.