Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I've had mine back for a week or so now. No issues. They replaced my whole rear axle. That is the only solution they know if right now.
How long did it take for you to get the new axle? I’m still waiting on bearings. Which I know is not the fix, but will get me closer to a new axle.
Sponsored

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
How long did it take for you to get the new axle? I’m still waiting on bearings. Which I know is not the fix, but will get me closer to a new axle.
They had my jeep for a month. Which most people would probably complain about, but that part isn't readily available so I understood. I'm in the aftermarket automotive world so I understand. I'd push them to get the new axle. If they are replacing the bearings that's only a small fix to this problem. Do you know if your gear oil was burnt black? That's typical of a bearing failure in this situation. Mine was burnt black. I'll most likely go to 75w140 gear oil in about 2,000 miles. I just want to see how this one does before I do that. I tow a boat about 5-10 times a month which does make these axles work.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Knocking noise coming from mine as well. Although, to me it sounds like it's coming from the front (May just be my perception of where I hear it). It happens at low speeds when I take my foot off the accelerator. I have opened a Jeep Cares case number and have an appointment with the dealership on Wed. I have a Jeep JLU Sport S with the LSD D44 rear. I have BFG KO2 315 70R 17s. 4.5 backspace, -12mm offset. MC 3.5 Dual Rate Rockport Lift. ....sigh

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Knocking noise coming from mine as well. Although, to me it sounds like it's coming from the front (May just be my perception of where I hear it). It happens at low speeds when I take my foot off the accelerator. I have opened a Jeep Cares case number and have an appointment with the dealership on Wed. I have a Jeep JLU Sport S with the LSD D44 rear. I have BFG KO2 315 70R 17s. 4.5 backspace, -12mm offset. MC 3.5 Dual Rate Rockport Lift. ....sigh
I thought the same originally. It was definitely the back.

I have had my replacement for 4000 miles already (road trip to Moab, and moved from Michigan to NJ). No issues so far with new.

Sponsored

Rodri371

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport jlu
This is unbelievable, FCA needs to do something about this because mine is making the same sound and it's getting worse every day. So it's going to the dealership next week to get looked at. I have 35's on my JLU Sport with 16K miles on it, I'm hoping they don't tell me it's due to the wheels. For the people that have gotten their Wranglers looked at thus far, have the charged you for any repairs or is it all covered under warranty?
Hey Guys,

I want to give you guys an update on my Jeep. I dropped it off at the shop on Monday, April 22nd to get it looked at due to the knocking sound coming from the rear end. Originally, It was supposed to get looked at on Friday, April 19th but the dealership was extremely busy with the Easter Holiday. After two days of being there, the service adviser finally called me to tell me that the rear differential carrier bracket needed to be replaced, and I proceeded to ask how long that would take to order the parts and get it fixed. He told me that it would take 5-8 days to get the part, and 1-2 days to get it assembled. The following day he calls me back to tell me that the part is on back order and that they will not be able to get it until Mid June, which is just a mess because I was planning a trip to go to the desert for Mid May.

Just a little advice for some of you experiencing the same issue, file a claim through FCA first or through this forum with Jeep Cares to get the process started. Lydia @ FCA has been extremely helpful throughout the process. I'm following up with the dealership to get an update on the part so I will keep you guys posted.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hey Guys,

I want to give you guys an update on my Jeep. I dropped it off at the shop on Monday, April 22nd to get it looked at due to the knocking sound coming from the rear end. Originally, It was supposed to get looked at on Friday, April 19th but the dealership was extremely busy with the Easter Holiday. After two days of being there, the service adviser finally called me to tell me that the rear differential carrier bracket needed to be replaced, and I proceeded to ask how long that would take to order the parts and get it fixed. He told me that it would take 5-8 days to get the part, and 1-2 days to get it assembled. The following day he calls me back to tell me that the part is on back order and that they will not be able to get it until Mid June, which is just a mess because I was planning a trip to go to the desert for Mid May.

Just a little advice for some of you experiencing the same issue, file a claim through FCA first or through this forum with Jeep Cares to get the process started. Lydia @ FCA has been extremely helpful throughout the process. I'm following up with the dealership to get an update on the part so I will keep you guys posted.
In most states that time waiting for a part without the vehicle being usable would qualify on its own for lemon status. 7+ weeks. Not acceptable. Tell them to pull the part from one in dealer inventory.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Stumbled upon this and find it interesting....how did Dana manage to screw up the D44? Perhaps we need to find the plans from when they were building 'em for IH Scouts?? ;)

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
Stumbled upon this and find it interesting....how did Dana manage to screw up the D44? Perhaps we need to find the plans from when they were building 'em for IH Scouts?? ;)
Maybe because of Fiat involvement.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Guys,

Sorry to hear that. Is your warranty covering? I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning. I drove it around with the shop foreman and he confirmed the knocking noise. He did say it sounds like it is coming from the rear (my perception was that it was coming from the front). The service advisor told me if the problem is caused by the lift I have installed the warranty will not cover.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I secretly hope mine does it after my lift but before I re-gear.....then if they deny coverage I'll order a Dynarape rear already geared at 5.13 (unless we can do 5.38?) and re-gear the front myself ;)

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything stock and have this issue:(
Stock rear arms for now. Metalcloak rear springs, shocks, links, and trackbar. Looking to upgrade to the Metalcloak controls arms as I continue to build up my lift.

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Sorry to hear that. Is your warranty covering? I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning. I drove it around with the shop foreman and he confirmed the knocking noise. He did say it sounds like it is coming from the rear (my perception was that it was coming from the front). The service advisor told me if the problem is caused by the lift I have installed the warranty will not cover.

If you haven’t I would get ahold of jeepcares. It should be covered. Stock and aftermarket are getting this issue. Aftermarket just makes the noise a little more noticeable. I took mine in and before I gave them the keys the manager was already blaming my lift... I got Jeep cares involved and I got everything covered and expedited due to time constraints.

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
Spider gears finally can in today... but the service department doesn’t have an open lift. Feel like I’ve been waiting an eternity for these spider gears ( 2 months) and now I have to wait even longer. Anyone ever replace spider gears? I watched a video and it looks like a pretty simple and quick job. I don’t think they need a lift to do this.
Sponsored