First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S color Mojito!
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’m wondering about the Spiderwebshade and the Alien Sunshade for the JLU.
I’ve been doing a lot of research and it seems both connect/clip under the windshield. This is good, it seems fine. But one thing I would like to be able to do is easily remove the front portion of the sunshade without having to drop the windshield slightly to gain access (unbolt using tools).
At times I’d like to be able to just fold back the front portion,
Are you able to do this with either sunshade?
If not, has anyone created a mod to be able to do so?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I’m wondering about the Spiderwebshade and the Alien Sunshade for the JLU.
I’ve been doing a lot of research and it seems both connect/clip under the windshield. This is good, it seems fine. But one thing I would like to be able to do is easily remove the front portion of the sunshade without having to drop the windshield slightly to gain access (unbolt using tools).
At times I’d like to be able to just fold back the front portion,
Are you able to do this with either sunshade?
If not, has anyone created a mod to be able to do so?
Curious... why ... for what reason would you need/want to remove the front, once installed?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To have the option to easily go completely topless if the weather ends up being cloudy.
@ChattVol

Yup//

Even topless, I'd be keeping the Sunshade on and be wearing a ball cap. I get a hell of a tan but my forehead needs shade from the Sun... even on cloudy/sunny days, thanks to sunshade and cap or forehead it gets fried/ burnt. 8-)

In Florida now... Bestop Sunrider for JL Hard top and Alien and I'm good to go... the duo is terrific to have in Florida.

OP
OP
jefflilj

jefflilj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S color Mojito!
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In Michigan, we don’t have as many nice days as Florida.
But yea, so when weather is nice, but really cloudy out, it would be cool to quickly fold back the front section.
Or maybe when driving at night. Wouldn’t really need the shade, and it would be great to be able to quickly remove/fold back the front portion.
Some other reasons, maybe if you have a hammock/jammock, and parked for a bit at a nice scenic area, be cool to throw remove front portion without using any tools and put up the jammock, or just have it open with the jammock in the back area.
I know I could drop/move the windshield enough to remove the front, but was seeing if anyone maybe made a mod that would allow without having to do that to the windshield.

Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
I just put on an Alien on the front, very easy, no need to drop window, can easily take out of you want. But putting on the freedomtop is easy with it on.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
JLtops is good to look at. Just put one on my JL and it was simple. Had teh spider on the JK and loved it as well but the JLtops is a lot nicer and easier to use.

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Curious... why ... for what reason would you need/want to remove the front, once installed?
I don't like having the sun shade installed when the hard top is on the Jeep. With my JK, I installed a Spiderweb shade whenever I pulled the top. Takes 5 minutes. With Spiderweb shades new mounting method, I will go a different route. Maybe the JTops.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The sunshade blocks the front clamps holding teh soft top on. So I do not need to remove the shade but do need to pull it back off the windshield to latch the front soft top. JTops made it very easy to pull it out and fold back slightly so I can latch it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sunshade blocks the front clamps holding teh soft top on. So I do not need to remove the shade but do need to pull it back off the windshield to latch the front soft top. JTops made it very easy to pull it out and fold back slightly so I can latch it.
My Alien Sunshade absolutely, does not prevent access to the front latches. I have hard top but should be no different with soft top.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Be aware the two piece shades sit way down in the opening dramatically reducing headroom. The Alien for example only has about a 2" clearance from the top of my head that is with the seat in the lowest position. I am 6'. Because it is so close to my head and in my peripheral line of sight at all times i am going to remove it and only use it when we travel to southern climates or put it on only when needed. While I was dissapointed in the positioning of the Alien Shade it is good quality and easy to install and takes up little space when stored under the seat.

Here is a picture of the head clearance (the hat is touching my scalp so this is the actual clearance). Because it is so close when you have to look almost straight up to really see through it. I may just go with a 1 piece since those sit above the rollbar and not in the gap near the inside roll-bar height. This is just my observation for other this is likely a non issue. I was hoping the mesh gave the that semi open feeling, at this height it does not for me anyway.

Alien%20clearance_zpsjkpik7yv.jpg

It would be nice is a top manufacture would made a full length top where you could undo the front and fold or roll back that wold give a few more inches headroom.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

The Alien shade I have NO problem with access to the soft top latches as there is a gap in the front and the latches are located between the bungees so you can easily get to the latches

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 5'10" and sold my sunshade for the headroom reason. Even if it's a couple inches it felt the opposite of the open air experience I look for. I have ball caps and a sunrider now. I'm good to go.

Reactions: D60

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 6' tall and have a long torso... I have plenty of headroom in regard to my Alien Sunshade. And is more then 2" of headroom.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm 5'10" and sold my sunshade for the headroom reason. Even if it's a couple inches it felt the opposite of the open air experience I look for. I have ball caps and a sunrider now. I'm good to go.

I will probably keep it however just put it on when needed. I suppose it all depends on your upper body height. being in my mid 50's I suppose I will start getting shorter.

On my Boat I have alot of canvas that is held down with bungee with lashing hooks I may look into that as that would then allow me to increase the height 3-4 inches maybe more if I add a raised ledge. You can see the bungees and hooks along the bottom of the canvas (same concept). This would also allow the shade to be removed and put back on very fast.

new%20canvass_zpszqjczkru.jpg

s-l640.jpg
Sponsored