Sponsored

JLRU Manual T Forced Induction Experience (ProCharger supercharger)

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this. Since my tach rarely climbs above 3500 this is pretty worthless for me. Strange that it kicks in so late. I thought supercharging was supposed to kick in lower than a turbo.
Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
Thanks for posting this. Since my tach rarely climbs above 3500 this is pretty worthless for me. Strange that it kicks in so late. I thought supercharging was supposed to kick in lower than a turbo.
That's funny, when I accelerate my jeep is rarely below 3500 rpm. lol

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Not all superchargers are the same. Mine is a ProCharger which is nothing but a turbo driven by belt. Other kind that use screw type shafts produce torque at much lower rpm. But I would say that for lower rpm driving like rock crawling gearing is the way to go. Superchargers belong on paved roads, in my opinion.

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
Update. Took a long trip, Chicago, Topeka, KS. I do that trip often and my mpg is around 14 or less mpg. This last trip my wife and daughter were the only drivers. CC set at 75 mph and the mpg was 17 flat :like: I didn’t know I drove so different from them. :surprised:
Was that while towing your camper ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the JLRU is in the shop. 20,345 miles. The serpentine belt broke. Luckily it was in town (I often take really long trips). Had the JL towed to my house. This is strike one for the JL. I hate unreliable cars, and before all the preaching about the SC, I have three other cars with SC and they have never let me stranded on the side of the road.
But it gets worse. Replaced the belt, which was not easy at all, because with the SC you cannot release the tensioner without removing some bracket next to it.
Then started the engine, all look good and sounded good, took it around the block and it was fine until I accelerated past 3500 rpm and engine cut off (like when you reach the red RPM, but this was only 3500) then the check engine light came on. Code P06DD and limp mode. The RPM will not go above 3500 and (or because) the oil pump is not kicking to second stage. Below 3500 is stage 1 and max 40psi, above 3500 the oil pump should step up to stage 2 and go way higher on the psi.
Pulled into the driveway and oil was dripping from somewhere in front of the engine, higher than the crankshaft.
I don’t have time, nor a helper, so I took it to the shop. No warranty of course.
I hope is not too serious.
I am hoping the belt when it broke ripped off some oil sensor or something of that sort. No idea.
The biggest piece you could see of the old belt was a shred of about 2 inches, the rest was like confetti.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Following with interest. I hope it turns out to be minor!

Rtigert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I am hoping the belt when it broke ripped off some oil sensor or something of that sort.
I’ll bet it did something to the oil separator; since it’s buried right in the middle of the belt routing. Fingers crossed for you!

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update.
Wrangler still in the shop. The oil leak has been located at the crankshaft seal. One of the idlers was misaligned causing the belt to split lengthways. The loose split got caught between the crankshaft pulley and the seal and ripped the seal. I don’t see how this would cause the P06DD code.
Shop says it should be ready by Friday. I hope so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Jeep is back on the road. The cause for the code P06DD was that the pieces of the crankshaft seal got stuck on the intake of the oil pump restricting the flow. Shop dropped the oil pan and cleaned everything.
I have not approached ProCharger on this matter. The shop did talk to them and showed that they had installed an idler wrong that eventually caused the whole mess.

Sponsored

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My Jeep is back on the road. The cause for the code P06DD was that the pieces of the crankshaft seal got stuck on the intake of the oil pump restricting the flow. Shop dropped the oil pan and cleaned everything.
I have not approached ProCharger on this matter. The shop did talk to them and showed that they had installed an idler wrong that eventually caused the whole mess.
Dare I ask without a warranty what all that cost? And I’m assuming it was nt covered under warranty thanks to the supercharger?

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dare I ask without a warranty what all that cost? And I’m assuming it was nt covered under warranty thanks to the supercharger?
I didn’t even try warranty. Don’t care for the quality of service of most dealers, anyway.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been busy driving around. Jeep + Procharger is great. Love how it rides on the highway and out of it.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ProCharger customer support is great!!!

outatime7

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2door
Looks like there are a number of folks that have installed the RIPP supercharger or Prodigy Turbo Kit at this point, and I've seen some before and after dyno charts, but I'm really eager for some actual 0-60 and quartermile data (on the same gear otherwise, e.g., wheels, tire size, etc.) so we can actually see what these power bumps are putting down on the road. Seems like for some reason (maybe the drivetrain?) the power upgrades aren't really translating into THAT much of a speed / quickness improvement but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.
Sponsored