Sponsored

Spare Tire Delete or HD Tire Carrier? Opinions!

Delete or Carrier?

• Total voters

BrnxBomr2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Recon
Hey guys, I’m looking for some opinions on what people prefer. I purchased both the Artec spare tire delete kit and the Rugged Ridge HD hinge and Teraflex Alpha carrier. I wasn’t sure which way I wanted to go so I went with options. My wheel and tire combo is about 108lbs and I’m just skeptical about running that heavy of a tire. I wanted some insight in and opinions.
Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I haven’t had a on road flat in about 40 years. I typically have them in the driveway. Don’t carry a spare for on road driving.

Off road I carry in cargo area.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto

BikiniJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I deleted my spare tire with the Artec plate. My wheel and tire was about 97lbs, if I remember correct. I love it. I also noticed how it drove on road better immediately after removing that weight from behind the axle.
@BrnxBomr2 you can check out this thread, too. I a few posts on my install there. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/spare-tire-carrier-delete.4454/
Love the look! Did you have to do anything extra to conceal the wire? Artec’s install vids show it exposed to the left of the plate.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
@BikiniJeep
I tapped into the actual license plate wire, fished it up through the drivers side tail light/wheel well, behind the drivers side wheel well trim, under the tailgate bottom rubber gasket/plastic jack storage cover, under the passenger side wheel well trim, through fabric wire loom, and through the vents in the center of the tailgate. Has anyone moved their rear license plate and light to the spare tire?
My way was more work, but cleaner. I cut a small slit in the white vent covers to feed the wire, so that they would remained closed, but I don’t think that was required either.
Sponsored

Reactions: aai