Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

@CoolTech Thanks for being a forum sponsor! A sponsor whose participation allows us to have free access to a great resource. Most of us are very appreciative of the sponsorship and of your continued investment in the development of new products for us JL owners.

Sponsor.PNG
Guys, donā€™t trash the flashlight. Didnā€™t your mom ever tell you , ā€œif you canā€™t say anything nice, donā€™t say anything at allā€?

If you donā€™t like it, donā€™t buy it. I appreciate all the sponsors here
People here complaining about price, etc., on a quality product offering by a forum sponsor but they will go out and spend $24.95 on a friggin cheapo, iffy, LED flashlight that matches the color of their JL and has a fruggly logo on it... ;) LOL, go figure.
Iā€™m glad theyā€™re are. Members that feel as I do

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Almost all of the Cool Tech products (for Jeeps and other vehicles) have been born out of something that we first wanted to do for ourselves. As I mentioned, the NiteCore R25 is a great flashlight in our opinion and we have had one around the shop for YEARS. We've also had various rechargeable flashlights that need you to connect a cable and/or remove the battery to charge them. Still nice flashlights, but having a Smart snap-in holder just makes it so easy. Discovering that your nice (not-always-inexpensive) rechargeable flashlight needs to be charged just when you need it the most - is as frustrating (perhaps even more so) than discovering a dead battery-powered light.

As others have mentioned - we are not gouging or marking up the R25. It's a $100 flashlight anywhere you look. We're just providing a simple mount for the JL... so conveniently located to the 12v plug as well as an extra Smart cradle for your home.

We fully realize (especially now!!) that $100 flashlight is not for everyone. No worries.

Thanks to everyone here for the feedback - be it positive or negative.... of course the nice comments are SOOO much easier to read. LOL

I hope everyone enjoys the Easter weekend and has the opportunity to spend it with loved ones. It puts into context what is important in life.

Last edited:

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Cool tech is a great company. I have order a few different things from them and they have always been of excellent quality.

Like others have said if you do not want it then do not by it but why complain about it on this forum.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I actually REALLY like this product. I would happily part with the price if it weren't for the cargo cover brackets that use the same hard top bolts. As such I'd have to kluge some sort of alternate mounting location.

Sponsored

Bbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport, 2019 JLU Rubicon, 2008 BMW M5
Confession time. At Cool Tech, we have a flashlight fetish. We think others do too. Like many of you, over the years we have purchased, used, and either liked or really disliked a LOT of flashlights!

But, with all of that experience, for the past couple of years, we have had a clear favorite. It is the go-to light in the shop. It is always charged and it is always ready-to-go. There are many LED rechargeable flashlights these days, but when you also look for those that have a super-nice docking station, the field narrows rapidly. Two things about a dock. First, the obvious one in that being a smart-dock, the flashlight is always good-to-go. No more weak, flickering lights from dead batteries! Second, a docking station kind of encourages a discipline that assures that the home of the flashlight is - in the dock!

Seriously, the Nitecore R25 is very, very good flashlight with a LOT of very good reviews and happy users. OK, but how is this relevant to JL owners?

We built a simple and easy-to install mount for the R25. It is a great location and immediately adjacent to the rear cargo 12v port. You can either plug the light right into the port - so it will charge each time the Jeep is on - or you can hard-wire it for a cleaner install.

IMG-6322.jpg

(The production brackets are finished in a black powdercoat.)

We have a launch special for JL-owners (while supplies last). Our bundle package includes an R25 Flashlight Kit, our JL-specific mounting bracket as shown and an extra Nitecore smart docking station. The idea is that you have one docking station in the Jeep and use the other one at home.

PromoPkg.jpg

Please visit our website for more information and ordering.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/120-jl-mic-mount.html
This is a great idea IMO. Iā€™m not a fetish type of guy and wasnā€™t considering a $100+ solution to satisfy my need for rechargeable, out of the way yet convenient flashlight but this looks like it might be worth the investment.
Question for Cooltech, can you post a couple pics of the installation from further back? Would like to see how the bigger picture ā€˜fitā€™ is.
Also, any chance of a YouTube video detailing how best to hard wire it?
Iā€™m not much of a wrencher either so any help would be great!
Thanks!

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi Bbino, sorry not to have more pics but hopefully you can visualize from pin included. There nothing sup special about that location other than perhaps its proximity to the 12v port. You can run the wires through a hole or notch in that access cover that is in the pic. That rear 12v outlet can be user configured to be hot all the time or just hot with ignition on by moving a fuse (described in Owner's manual). The mounting bracket (production model is powdercoated a satin black), can utilize any of the hardtop mounting bolts so if for whatever reason you don't like this location, you could move elsewhere.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
This is a great idea IMO. Iā€™m not a fetish type of guy and wasnā€™t considering a $100+ solution to satisfy my need for rechargeable, out of the way yet convenient flashlight but this looks like it might be worth the investment.
Question for Cooltech, can you post a couple pics of the installation from further back? Would like to see how the bigger picture ā€˜fitā€™ is.
Also, any chance of a YouTube video detailing how best to hard wire it?
Iā€™m not much of a wrencher either so any help would be great!
Thanks!
I am currently working on releasing an install video of this soon. I am going to hard wire it in. I'll post the video here when I am done. This flash light is great. Super bright.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Price is insulting. Guess Iā€™m buying an OLight
Why don't you do some simple research before insulting me? The only thing we are "guilty" of is choosing a high-end flashlight. Look across the internet to see what that light sells for. We're not marking it up at all and with our very small volume, we're sure not getting a discount. So, if you want to do something else with a different light, knock yourself out. As I said in the original post, I think there's some value to have a robust "dock" as that dock can serve as both the home for the light while simultaneously charging it. There are THOUSANDS of lights available out there - at virtually every price point. As you start looking at those with a good docking capability the field narrows. Now, if you don't need or value the dock, then all bets are off.

Bbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport, 2019 JLU Rubicon, 2008 BMW M5
Why don't you do some simple research before insulting me? The only thing we are "guilty" of is choosing a high-end flashlight. Look across the internet to see what that light sells for. We're not marking it up at all and with our very small volume, we're sure not getting a discount. So, if you want to do something else with a different light, knock yourself out. As I said in the original post, I think there's some value to have a robust "dock" as that dock can serve as both the home for the light while simultaneously charging it. There are THOUSANDS of lights available out there - at virtually every price point. As you start looking at those with a good docking capability the field narrows. Now, if you don't need or value the dock, then all bets are off.
I don't have a dog in this fight but do appreciate the ingenuity of CoolTech's design. The "Price is insulting" comment is nonsensical as it suggests $10 for a custom flashlight mount for that particular flashlight is out of line.

Sponsored

Mmaengine

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I did the research and youā€™re right...the nitecore R25 is an insanely expensive flashlight. I rescind my previous statement implying that the price was too high.