Sponsored

Off-road recommendations for a beginner in SoCal?

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I recently tried out the Rock Front OHV area in the north end of Los Padres natl forest (1h30 from Santa Barbara, maybe 3h North of LA?) and it was pretty decent for beginners. Nothing too crazy for the most part, with some challenging trails if you're feeling adventurous.

Wouldn't go there on purpose but worth checking out if you're passing by!

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

Great Trail any stock Jeep can do. Just wait until the snow is gone. It is harder and slippery in the ice and snow.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Here is the TDS experience. It was a blast. Still need to edit the Sunday Rough Run!

Sponsored

mrpnicolas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
SoCal here (Anaheim) ... more into backpacking and car camping. I have a sport that needs to get dirty. I'm a beginner as well.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Here is the TDS experience. It was a blast. Still need to edit the Sunday Rough Run!

Took the Jeep JLU out to the TDS for both Saturday and Sunday Events. It was a blast. This is the Sunday Rough Run. We did some recovery, repairs, some rock crawling. It was a a lot of fun!

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Here are 3 trails in Big Bear to check out. Plus you get badges for them.

Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Big Bear Forest Fest 2019 was a blast. Thank you to IE4W for putting on such a great event. Here is a video from the weekend. Good family fun over Father's Day Weekend. They have a range of trails you can choose from, easy to hard.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Fun Labor Day Weekend Trail Ride.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I'm local to the LA area as well and have been having lots of fun hitting Rowher and Cleghorn+Pilot Rock. There's a looooot of consecutive trails you can hit in the San Bernardino Forest.

We've got the ultimate weekend trip down, this is what we did the first weekend of owning my JLR and try to do it as often as we can. We did a trail run starting at Cleghorn off I-15, ending at Silverwood Lake. Then you take a quick spin to the other side of the lake and start on Pilot Rock, which takes you all the way to Lake Arrowhead. Then we stopped for dinner in the village and grab an airbnb (ended up being in Big Bear) - drank some beers in a hot tub, then woke up and did the trail leading down to Pioneertown hitting Burns Canyon on the way out. At that point we'd done the entire west to east length of the forest, the only time we'd hit pavement was to get between Arrowhead and Big Bear.

Since we're so damn addicted, we then ended up doing Burns Canyon/Pioneertown trail all the way back to big bear, aired up, hauled over to Pilot Rock, and did Pilot Rock and Cleghorn in reverse all the way until 4am when we terminated back at I-15. First weekend of ownership doing the entire west-to-east and east-to-west lengths of the forest was a great accomplishment.

Next time up we're gonna try Gold Mountain, but I doubt we'll be doing John Bull or Holcomb as my buddy's in a JLU Sahara and we don't want to hit those until we're both a little further down the upgrade path. Would be great to get a group together on these before it gets too cold.

IMG_8983.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I'm local to the LA area as well and have been having lots of fun hitting Rowher and Cleghorn+Pilot Rock. There's a looooot of consecutive trails you can hit in the San Bernardino Forest.

We've got the ultimate weekend trip down, this is what we did the first weekend of owning my JLR and try to do it as often as we can. We did a trail run starting at Cleghorn off I-15, ending at Silverwood Lake. Then you take a quick spin to the other side of the lake and start on Pilot Rock, which takes you all the way to Lake Arrowhead. Then we stopped for dinner in the village and grab an airbnb (ended up being in Big Bear) - drank some beers in a hot tub, then woke up and did the trail leading down to Pioneertown hitting Burns Canyon on the way out. At that point we'd done the entire west to east length of the forest, the only time we'd hit pavement was to get between Arrowhead and Big Bear.

Since we're so damn addicted, we then ended up doing Burns Canyon/Pioneertown trail all the way back to big bear, aired up, hauled over to Pilot Rock, and did Pilot Rock and Cleghorn in reverse all the way until 4am when we terminated back at I-15. First weekend of ownership doing the entire west-to-east and east-to-west lengths of the forest was a great accomplishment.

Next time up we're gonna try Gold Mountain, but I doubt we'll be doing John Bull or Holcomb as my buddy's in a JLU Sahara and we don't want to hit those until we're both a little further down the upgrade path. Would be great to get a group together on these before it gets too cold.

IMG_8983.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG
Sounds like a great day. Post something when you plan to hit Gold Mountain. Ive done it several times. It is a lot of fun.
Sponsored