First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Can’t believe I fell for such an obvious trolling.

@Badweissenbier I’ll just start buying raw crude oil since clearly the whole process of refining doesn’t work. You just saved me a lot of money. Thanks. :like:
Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Can’t believe I fell for such an obvious trolling.

@Badweissenbier I’ll just start buying raw crude oil since clearly the whole process of refining doesn’t work. You just saved me a lot of money. Thanks. :like:
CT, I wasn’t trolling, feel free to do as you please. It’s your Jeep and all that.
I only have about 25 years in the equipment business with several brands and deal with this stuff daily on a technical level. Every manufacturer and oil company I’ve dealt with strongly recommends against prefilling any filter. I’m just trying to pass along the information. Take it or don’t. As they say ymmv.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I don't know about new oil having impurities, but this.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
CT, I wasn’t trolling, feel free to do as you please. It’s your Jeep and all that.
I only have about 25 years in the equipment business with several brands and deal with this stuff daily on a technical level. Every manufacturer and oil company I’ve dealt with strongly recommends against prefilling any filter. I’m just trying to pass along the information. Take it or don’t. As they say ymmv.
And I’ve worked in dozens of refineries. They aren’t spending billions of dollars building those processing units to turn out contaminated lubricants. Do you know the consequences of providing off spec lubricants to critical equipment? As a minimum it’s bad for business, at worst it could damage multi million dollar equipment. Commercial lubricants are tested and retested by manufacturers and third parties. The virgin motor oil you buy is extremely pure. Now if you’re buying used recycled oil from somewhere that might be different.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
And I’ve worked in dozens of refineries. They aren’t spending billions of dollars building those processing units to turn out contaminated lubricants. Do you know the consequences of providing off spec lubricants to critical equipment? As a minimum it’s bad for business, at worst it could damage multi million dollar equipment. Commercial lubricants are tested and retested by manufacturers and third parties. The virgin motor oil you buy is extremely pure. Now if you’re buying used recycled oil from somewhere that might be different.
Pure? What is you definition of pure?
If your meaning it’s nothing but oil I’ll just go ahead and disagree.
By definition clean new oil must have an ISO rating of 16/13. The ISO code for 16 represents a contaminant level of 320-640 parts per milliliter. That’s a lot of stuff in a very small amount. Your contending it’s not there ? and it maintains that all the way to the end user? Yea I don’t think so.

As I said , do as you please it doesn’t hurt me. I prefer to not prefill. Ymmv

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
These days plenty of canister filters sit at an angle or horizontal, making filling them impossible. If they hang vertical, I fill 'em - it's definitely best practice and many engines you'll hear tick on start-up until that OP gauge comes up after an oil change.

But if it's not possible to fill them and/or topside filters like the 3.6.....don't worry about it - there's nothing you can do anyway

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thought we were talking about putting something in the wrong hole? Now we're talking dirty virgins, thought this was an auto forum???

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
This is why I always filter my orange juice before drinking it. It's full of dirt and impurities from the orchard. You realize they grow in dirt and ste picked by people with dirty work gloves. Ewe!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Filling a spin on filter is generally a bad idea. The big hole that you get the oil to go into - that is the exit.
This means that when you start the engine unfiltered oil(what you just poured in the filter) comes right back out and on through your lube system.
Oil you buy at the store is not clean oil, it is only as clean as the manufacture wants to spend the money on making it clean, and they ain't in the business to spend money.lol
Hmmm... I call BS on "dirty" new oil. With all of the new testing and technology that WE the consumer can do we would have proven this to be false.
Second... the idea behind fill the metal oil filters is not so that there is oil sitting in that big hole which blows right back out. It's so that the filter paper is saturated and therefore will begin the filtering process sooner instead of having to get saturated first.
You work at Jiffy Lube or something? hehehe.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

Virgin oil it ain’t. As it popped out of somewhere, usually the ground.

Your assuming that oil you purchase is filtered beyond what the engine oil filter will do. That isn’t necessarily so. Oil is full of contamination, even new oil is got a lot of s@$t in it. Just cause it doesn’t look bad doesn’t mean it’s not full of garbage you can’t see.
Uh. Yeah. Sure. Um....makes total sense.

Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Hmmm... I call BS on "dirty" new oil. With all of the new testing and technology that WE the consumer can do we would have proven this to be false. Really ? Please provide that information source that shows nothing but pure oil in a new container. I’d love to see that.
Second... the idea behind fill the metal oil filters is not so that there is oil sitting in that big hole which blows right back out. It's so that the filter paper is saturated and therefore will begin the filtering process sooner instead of having to get saturated first. Right on bro! You got it all down pat.
You work at Jiffy Lube or something? hehehe.I would if I had to, but unfortunately or fortunately I don’t.
Option B, sample some new oil and have it analyzed. You might be surprised when you see the iso contaminate ratings on new oil. Maybe not. Believers gonna believe.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
@Chocolate Thunder - When I was young I was taught to run a finger with some oil on it around the o-ring of the filter. The ring would be less likely to bind up & potentially fail to seal. Is it critical? Probably not. Just something I’ve continued to do with all my oil changes.

As far as filling the can with oil - that one I don’t do. I believe the theory is it will introduce fresh oil into the system more quickly, thus less time the engine turns over without adequate lubrication. Just a guess tho..
All new filters say to apply a thin layer of oil to the gasket before installing. The filters like the 3.6 use say to apply a thin coat of oil to the rubber o-ring.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

Virgin oil it ain’t. As it popped out of somewhere, usually the ground.

Your assuming that oil you purchase is filtered beyond what the engine oil filter will do. That isn’t necessarily so. Oil is full of contamination, even new oil is got a lot of s@$t in it. Just cause it doesn’t look bad doesn’t mean it’s not full of garbage you can’t see.
Option B, sample some new oil and have it analyzed. You might be surprised when you see the iso contaminate ratings on new oil. Maybe not. Believers gonna believe.
Run a particle count on new oil out of the bottle and you will clearly see what @Badweissenbier is talking about. He is correct; when I get a chance I will post an ISO particle count of Mobil Super that had quite a few chunks in it. Note they are not visible to the eye and they would have been caught on the first pass through the filter, but they were there and larger than 20um, (which is what the efficiency is on a good filter).
Sponsored