Tire warranties..... yes or no

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
wondering what y'alls opinions are on tire warranties and how that sways your tire buying decisions. Me for example I have always paid for them, have had a few tires replaced that I would have otherwise paid for. When I bought my jeep last year I almost immediately dropped 2k on new rubber for it. The tire chain I use covers replacement and rotations and balances for the life of the tire. The add ons really jacked up the price of the tire. I think I was in the neighborhood of 400 per tire installed for the house brand. The price is the price with them, no options. Other retailers will sell you the tire and the warranties separate. In the market for larger tires now and im looking at all my options.
Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Take the risk yourself and keep the money....self insure.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
wondering what y'alls opinions are on tire warranties and how that sways your tire buying decisions. Me for example I have always paid for them, have had a few tires replaced that I would have otherwise paid for. When I bought my jeep last year I almost immediately dropped 2k on new rubber for it. The tire chain I use covers replacement and rotations and balances for the life of the tire. The add ons really jacked up the price of the tire. I think I was in the neighborhood of 400 per tire installed for the house brand. The price is the price with them, no options. Other retailers will sell you the tire and the warranties separate. In the market for larger tires now and im looking at all my options.
So I once purchased some performance tires for another car. I managed to get a long construction nail through the tire and into the sidewall within 3 months. I now purchase insurance/road hazard any time I get tires, and that situation is exactly why.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Never have, never will, not a fan of paying for shit that "might" happen.
Sure it might happen, but it might not, I try to live optimistic
We have 5 tires, if I ever need to use the spare, I can plug a hole myself, unless it is sidewall gash, in that event I will just buy a used spare.

Unless you are getting more than 1 flat a year, you will never recoup that money, and if you are, you might want to stop driving wherever it is your driving.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I've had to replace two of my tires in the past year with this Jeep. One was a road hazard so that was out of pocket, but the other was for a defect in the sidewall and that was replaced under the warranty. Paying extra might be worth it, depending on how much it is in addition to your new tire set.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
In all the years I have driven Jeeps and performance cars I have never paid for tire certificate warranties.... ever, and I have purchased many many expensive tires. All that does is raise cost of your purchase up front when you buy those warranties.
I have a really good relationship with my local Discount tire as I have been using them for many years.

A couple of years ago I actually had a construction nail go through the sidewall of my tire on my M3 about 2 months after I just purchased them, so at that point I was pretty bummed because I knew I would have to buy another $300 rear tire, but after going in to Discount Tire he said he would just prorate it from the Manufacturers warranty, so out the door I went with a new tire and was only charged $60. I was very happy and this pretty much solidified for me to never pay for those tire warranties.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I do and probably from the same chain. When I talked to them, it was $40 per tire. $200 for the set of 5.

a) free rotations for life of tire. @ $35 per rotation, this adds up quickly and pretty much pays for itself
b) road hazard....same. There is always construction everywhere and a stray nail....or in my case ex-wife curb checked at speed and destroyed a tire.

For ME, this is a no-brainer

OP
OP

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have a harbor freight tire mounter that I have used in the past. sure it takes my time and muscle but I can mount and set a bead at home for "free" and either use airsoft beads or take them to a shop to be balanced for $5 a wheel. My shop wanted over 200 bucks to dismount my tires and remount them on my new wheels. eff that, im about to get my work out on.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not affiliated with Discount Tire, just have been given good service, but life time tire rotations and balance are free if you purchase the tires from Discount Tire, no tire warranty purchase necessary.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I do and probably from the same chain. When I talked to them, it was $40 per tire. $200 for the set of 5.

a) free rotations for life of tire. @ $35 per rotation, this adds up quickly and pretty much pays for itself
b) road hazard....same. There is always construction everywhere and a stray nail....or in my case ex-wife curb checked at speed and destroyed a tire.

For ME, this is a no-brainer
I did the same thing when the time for my first rotation came. One of my tires had a screw in it that they fixed (for free) that they rotated to the spare. I don't know if they messed up the repair or if it was beyond repair, but it wouldn't hold air. They replaced for free under the warranty.

I paid $177 for the warranty. The tire cost is $250. Already saved money on the deal and still have free rotations, balancing, and the road hazard warranty.

But as you mentioned, just the free rotations and balancing make it more than worth it.

IMG_1140.JPG

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
In all the years I have driven Jeeps and performance cars I have never paid for tire certificate warranties.... ever, and I have purchased many many expensive tires. All that does is raise cost of your purchase up front when you buy those warranties.
I have a really good relationship with my local Discount tire as I have been using them for many years.

A couple of years ago I actually had a construction nail go through the sidewall of my tire on my M3 about 2 months after I just purchased them, so at that point I was pretty bummed because I knew I would have to buy another $300 rear tire, but after going in to Discount Tire he said he would just prorate it from the Manufacturers warranty, so out the door I went with a new tire and was only charged $60. I was very happy and this pretty much solidified for me to never pay for those tire warranties.
Discount Tire is a great company to do business with. I’ve been buying BFG All-terrains from them for ~30 years, and hope to do so for 30 more. On my Dually with heavy slide-in camper, I only got 25k. They were guaranteed for 50k.
A set of 6, half-price, no hassle. Twice.
My only problem with them is that others have learned how good they are, and it’s hard to sneak in for a quick rotation.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Take the risk yourself and keep the money....self insure.
Absolutely. I’m careful, and have made one insurance claim in my life. $800 when I slid into a guard rail on an icy freeway ramp. They raised my rates $250/year. Bastards.
Now that I own my home, and pay cash for everything including vehicles, I carry no homeowner’s insurance, and just liability on my brand-new Jeep.
Am I taking a risk? Hell yes!
I’m also saving $5000+ per year.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Not affiliated with Discount Tire, but they have been excellent with me. Ive been to 2 shops, one near my job and one near my house. And both times they have taken care of me. I think for my Lexus I paid like $20/tire for continentals and event though I rarely have tire incidents, I did have to use them twice and the warranties saved the day.

As other stated, balance and rotation for life of tire. AND...the warranty is transferable. Sell your car with the tires? Warranty goes with them.

Also, Discount Tire sells name brand tires. I mention this because I get lifetime alignment at Pepboys and they told me if its a tire they sell, theyll do the balance and rotation free as well. I have a pepboys at the end of my neighborhood and another one right next to the discount tire by my job.

Works out very well in my case.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Discount tire purchases come with a free pro-rated road hazard warranty. Plus like others said, they give lifetime free rotation and they fix flat tires for free(if fixable). I did not buy the full replacement warranty certificates for this reason.
Sponsored