Scout Trooper 2 Door Build

FDXGUY

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Ouch! That sucks. What carrier are you running and is that pic of your tailgate closed?
It’s the stock carrier with a Smittybilt spacer bracket. Yes, that pic is the tailgate closed. Lovely, huh?
Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
PHASE 2a: Front Bumper & Winch

Sway Bar Motor Flip
Genright Ultra Clearance Front Bumper with Trail Stinger
Warn Zeon 8s
Factor 55 Flat Link E

After much cursing, bleeding, cutting, grinding, and filing I finally got this freakin thing installed. What a pain the the ass this was. Much of it could of been avoided though had better instructions been provided, Despite that, I've got to say the Genright has great customer service. I started the install last friday and had some questions. I called Genright and caught someone just before they closed up shop for the weekend. The guy I spoke with said he would get a tech to call me back. 20 minutes later Tony Pellegrino, the owner, called me from Moab no less and answered all my questions. I even called him back the next day with more questions. He was more than gracious to take my call, probably while wheeling. Hats off to them for going out of their way to help a noob out. The bumper is awesome. I'm very pleased with it.

First step was flipping the sway bar motor up for additional clearance. You can also see I've cut off the crash bars as well.

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

For this particular bumper, they recommend deleting the stock sway bar and running a Currie Anti-Rock. I didn't want to go this route. I like my E Disco so I notched the winch tray to accommodate the motor while flipped. I probably could have got away with taking off less material but it's hard to measure because you have to drop the motor back down to get the winch tray in between the frame rails then flip the motor. Anyways, here is the tray after notching.
IMG_2764.JPG

And here is the finished product.
IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

And one last one with my stupid front license plate installed. Stupid laws. Its a JeepsNeeds EZ Plate 3.0 which is pretty nice. Just wish I didn't have to run one.
IMG_2796.JPG

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
37s look HUGE on a 2 door.

Look into the rugged ridge tire carrier. I bet you can use your teraflex relocation with it.

-Eli

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
37s look HUGE on a 2 door.

Look into the rugged ridge tire carrier. I bet you can use your teraflex relocation with it.

-Eli
That’s a possibility. Any idea where it’s made? I couldn’t find any info on it. I’m trying to keep it all made in the USA.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re wondering about how the Dynatrac lift was affected by the additional weight up front; I added about 70 lbs net weight to the front with the bumper and winch. The suspension sagged about 3/8” in the front.

Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
PHASE 1b: Tire Carrier

Teraflex Rear Tire Carrier
Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit

Let me just say that I am extremely disappointed in this solution. I was holding out for the Teraflex tire carrier and was one of the first to purchase it when it was available. All the info that was released was can handle up to a 39" tire. Ok, cool. I'm in. Then they day after they release it they altered their recommendations to needing some sort of reinforcement kit above a 35. Wanting to make it work, I then purchased the Mopar bracket. Big mistake. First, I can't believe how overpriced that thing is. I'm not sure what it does but it's not much. My wheel/tire combo weighs in at 112 lbs. With the extra weight of the carrier and bracket, that's about 50 lbs over stock. I'm calling BS on the fact that this tailgate is rated for 85 lbs additional weight. The hinges are definitely the weak point. After numerous adjustments without what I would consider satisfactory results, I just don't think this is going to work. The tailgate sags about 1/4" and rattles over bumps. I just don't feel confident having the tailgate open and especially for any length of time. So, do I wait it out for Teraflex to get their shit together and release a hinge reinforcement? That's probably a year out considering how long it took them to release the carrier. Again. supper disappointed and pissed.
IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

I adjusted the tailgate up to try and compensate for the increased weight. As you can see, it's sagging about 1/4". Body line was 1/8" above without spare. Now it's about 1/8" below.
IMG_2726.JPG

If you're thinking about this combo I would advise against it for 37's.
The 85 # tailgate weight includes the spare.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 85 # tailgate weight includes the spare.
True. Should probably read the manual and stop believing everything read on the internet. ;)

upload_2019-5-7_10-41-31.png

Regardless, the Mopar tailgate reinforcement says you can run a 37" spare. I'm not sure how they can make that claim. Anyways. I'll be switching it all out once @Maximus-3 releases their tire carrier.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Phase 3 : DIY Overland Storage System

After my first wheeling trip, I knew I was going to need something better than just ratchet strapping stuff down to the floor with the rear seats removed. Especially for camping gear. I went back and forth with the design. I was originally going to get really fancy with slide out tables and the like, but in the end I decided on a simple design. The back seat still needs to go in often as I cart my kids around to school and such. So, the design needed to be somewhat easily removable when the time comes to pull it out and put the rear seat back in. It's coming along. I'll probably have it completed this weekend... weather permitting. :fingerscrossed:

IMG_2821.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2825.JPG
IMG_2826.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finished up my storage system. While not perfect in design, I'm still extremely happy with how it turned out. Can't wait to give it a go. I still may fool around with some drawer dividers. I'll see after the first use whether it's needed or not.

IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2855.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2857.JPG

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
PHASE 1b: Tire Carrier

Teraflex Rear Tire Carrier
Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit

Let me just say that I am extremely disappointed in this solution. I was holding out for the Teraflex tire carrier and was one of the first to purchase it when it was available. All the info that was released was can handle up to a 39" tire. Ok, cool. I'm in. Then they day after they release it they altered their recommendations to needing some sort of reinforcement kit above a 35. Wanting to make it work, I then purchased the Mopar bracket. Big mistake. First, I can't believe how overpriced that thing is. I'm not sure what it does but it's not much. My wheel/tire combo weighs in at 112 lbs. With the extra weight of the carrier and bracket, that's about 50 lbs over stock. I'm calling BS on the fact that this tailgate is rated for 85 lbs additional weight. The hinges are definitely the weak point. After numerous adjustments without what I would consider satisfactory results, I just don't think this is going to work. The tailgate sags about 1/4" and rattles over bumps. I just don't feel confident having the tailgate open and especially for any length of time. So, do I wait it out for Teraflex to get their shit together and release a hinge reinforcement? That's probably a year out considering how long it took them to release the carrier. Again. supper disappointed and pissed.
IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

I adjusted the tailgate up to try and compensate for the increased weight. As you can see, it's sagging about 1/4". Body line was 1/8" above without spare. Now it's about 1/8" below.
IMG_2726.JPG

If you're thinking about this combo I would advise against it for 37's.
Did you extend the rubber snubbers so the spare tire sits firmly against them? If yes and the tire is still bouncing back there, is there any other adjustment that can be made to pull the tire closer to the tailgate?

I have a 2 door on order and will get 37s at some point.

Like the look of your jeep; the 2 door on 37s looks pretty awesome!

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you extend the rubber snubbers so the spare tire sits firmly against them? If yes and the tire is still bouncing back there, is there any other adjustment that can be made to pull the tire closer to the tailgate?

I have a 2 door on order and will get 37s at some point.

Like the look of your jeep; the 2 door on 37s looks pretty awesome!
Thanks.

The rubber isolators are stock. The carrier has enough adjustment to get the tire snug against the tailgate. It's not so much that the tire is bouncing around at the mounting point. It is a very snug fit. It's the lack of strength in the stock hinges that allows for sag and movement of the entire assembly. It's fine for driving around town, but I'm not confident wheeling with it like that.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
i currently have the mopar reinforcement with relocation on my 18 JLUR with mopar beadlocks and 35 inch K02s - haven't had any issues yet but also doubt it's really doing anything.

i have a friend running 35 inch grapplers on fuel wheels with no reinforcement whatsoever and he's having zero issues.
The Mopar relocation kit comes with extended snubbers for the spare. Did you have to cut them down much? What kind of backspacing do you have on your wheels?

I have a 2 door Rubi on order with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and just ordered the Mopar relocation. Seems like the Mopar relocation kit is the only one that comes with extended rubber snubbers. I guess I'll find out how well it works or doesn't when I start making changes to the jeep.
Sponsored