Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUK, 2019 JLUR, 2004 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
Looking badass. Are your bumpers color matched? If so paint or powder?
Thanks Jon. No, it’s actually just the genright bare aluminum. I was hoping it would map out well with silver billet, and I’m really happy with it. Will keep it bare.
Sponsored

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
@Gray Hare How was the install on the rear bumper? GenRight told me install instructions would not be made available until after purchasing. Kinda turned me off to them.

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Gray Hare How was the install on the rear bumper? GenRight told me install instructions would not be made available until after purchasing. Kinda turned me off to them.
Hi Keith - fortec 4x4 did the installation. The only detail that I have to share is that it is a very tight fit. That’s not a bad thing at all once it is on, but I did hear that it was a bit trickier to mount for that reason. The bumper actually slides over the d ring mounts. If you have rear sensors in bumper, have to be careful not to pinch or cut sensor wires. The bumper is constructed incredibly well. Great welds. Beautiful metal

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Keith - fortec 4x4 did the installation. The only detail that I have to share is that it is a very tight fit. That’s not a bad thing at all once it is on, but I did hear that it was a bit trickier to mount for that reason. The bumper actually slides over the d ring mounts. If you have rear sensors in bumper, have to be careful not to pinch or cut sensor wires. The bumper is constructed incredibly well. Great welds. Beautiful metal
Close up

BCA43247-3E1C-4D0F-8717-AC5E69081164.jpeg

6F04CBF5-9294-4EEE-BC99-D58F824C3625.jpeg

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
New Billet Silver Sahara owner. Looking at getting a sunscreen (Alien, Spider, JTops) and considering BLUE. Does anyone have blue that can post a few pics? Would love to get an idea of what that looks like .
20190410_151819.jpg

Sponsored

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I was looking for a contrast color too, but didn't want red because it's sooooooooo common. Obviously the Rubicon comes with red, so it seems that everybody and their brother also does red.
I prefer to be a bit more unique so I went with blue:
1st topless (6) resize.jpg

Blue tow hooks, and blue calipers.

DSCN0205.jpg

Here's a better look at the calipers.

18 10-4 (4) resize.jpg

And this is how it looks with the decals (but before the lift).
I was looking for a contrast color too, but didn't want red because it's sooooooooo common. Obviously the Rubicon comes with red, so it seems that everybody and their brother also does red.
How did you go about painting the hooks and calipers?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I used Rustoleum paint (1 qt is about $10). The key to getting it to last is in the prep work. I've done this on many vehicles with great results.

• Clean the caliper/hook with soapy water to remove lose dirt and dust.
  • Use a wire brush to knock off any loose corrosion or stubborn dirt.
  • Use emery to scuff the surface, and clean off the more persistent corrosion.
  • Use ScotchBrite to minimize marks from sanding and to assure the surface is debris free.
  • Clean the caliper/hook with soapy water again, to remove any dust from all the prep work.
  • Clean the caliper/hook with mineral spirits and a lint free rag to make sure the surface is free from oils from your hands.
  • Brush on the paint.

I've found that Rustoleum works really well, and holds up to brake heat without issues. They sell caliper painting kits (usually spray cans), but they tend to cost a lot more. Even with all the cleaning supplies you'll have $20 or less into this project, and a quart of paint will do many vehicles.
A few tips. The paint WILL show brush marks when you're applying it. Not to worry. As it dries it smooths out.
You're also going to need to do more than 1 coat. I usually do 3, but 2 will cover it. I just do the third because I can.
The first coat takes the longest because you've got to do all the prep work first. The second and third go on super fast.
If you don't drive the Jeep between coats, you can just jump straight into painting when you're ready to do the second coat (I usually wait over night).
Most importantly, don't slack on the prep work. It will save you time up front, but the paint won't hold up as well if you do. I know this, yet I figured "my Jeep is new, how dirty can it be" and didn't spend as much time prepping. I cleaned it, but didn't use the wire brush, emery or ScotchBrite. It was dirty than I thought, because now I have to do some touch up. On my Ram, Charger and Grand Cherokee I did the full prep job and the paint held up for years without needing any more work. Do yourself a favor and put in the extra effort the first time.
The paint claims to be "dry to touch" in 4 hours, but it's actually a bit faster. I wouldn't rub the paint that soon, but if it gets lightly touched an hour after you paint it, it's probably not going to need touched up.

Here's a picture of all you'll need (except I forgot to photo the emery). It's not a lot of supplies, and the result is fantastic.

caliper paint supplies.jpg

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I used Rustoleum paint (1 qt is about $10). The key to getting it to last is in the prep work. I've done this on many vehicles with great results.

• Clean the caliper/hook with soapy water to remove lose dirt and dust.
  • Use a wire brush to knock off any loose corrosion or stubborn dirt.
  • Use emery to scuff the surface, and clean off the more persistent corrosion.
  • Use ScotchBrite to minimize marks from sanding and to assure the surface is debris free.
  • Clean the caliper/hook with soapy water again, to remove any dust from all the prep work.
  • Clean the caliper/hook with mineral spirits and a lint free rag to make sure the surface is free from oils from your hands.
  • Brush on the paint.

I've found that Rustoleum works really well, and holds up to brake heat without issues. They sell caliper painting kits (usually spray cans), but they tend to cost a lot more. Even with all the cleaning supplies you'll have $20 or less into this project, and a quart of paint will do many vehicles.
A few tips. The paint WILL show brush marks when you're applying it. Not to worry. As it dries it smooths out.
You're also going to need to do more than 1 coat. I usually do 3, but 2 will cover it. I just do the third because I can.
The first coat takes the longest because you've got to do all the prep work first. The second and third go on super fast.
If you don't drive the Jeep between coats, you can just jump straight into painting when you're ready to do the second coat (I usually wait over night).
Most importantly, don't slack on the prep work. It will save you time up front, but the paint won't hold up as well if you do. I know this, yet I figured "my Jeep is new, how dirty can it be" and didn't spend as much time prepping. I cleaned it, but didn't use the wire brush, emery or ScotchBrite. It was dirty than I thought, because now I have to do some touch up. On my Ram, Charger and Grand Cherokee I did the full prep job and the paint held up for years without needing any more work. Do yourself a favor and put in the extra effort the first time.
The paint claims to be "dry to touch" in 4 hours, but it's actually a bit faster. I wouldn't rub the paint that soon, but if it gets lightly touched an hour after you paint it, it's probably not going to need touched up.

Here's a picture of all you'll need (except I forgot to photo the emery). It's not a lot of supplies, and the result is fantastic.

caliper paint supplies.jpg
Uh wow. You win the most thorough answer of the year award for sure. Thanks so much for your detail and time. Much appreciated.

I did buy caliper spray paint months ago but then realized it was going to be nearly impossible to do good work with spray paint. I will try your way.

Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
We had a few nice days forecast so I took the opportunity to strip it down a bit.
Pardon the hurricane damage in the background...we are still very much digging out here.

20190420_143153.jpg

20190420_143141.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Uh wow. You win the most thorough answer of the year award for sure. Thanks so much for your detail and time. Much appreciated.

I did buy caliper spray paint months ago but then realized it was going to be nearly impossible to do good work with spray paint. I will try your way.
Ha ha. I'm glad it was detailed enough.
I considered spray paint, but I didn't want to tape everything off, or remove the caliper to do it. That's why I tried brushing it on. I've done many vehicles that way since then, so it was the easy choice for my JL.

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is latest. Next will be rigid fog lights and the rse step sliders

27C30FE7-15D2-421D-AD38-104093D837CC.jpeg