First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
Looked at their website, and under load capacity it says TBD. And to use with the hardtop, you use the MOPAR rails, which only hold 100 lbs due to the raingutters are not strong. So what does this really do other than look nice and cost 300 ?
Sponsored

Ketkitkat

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk’n Rubicon
Does anybody know if A Pillar KC lights will work with a Gobi rack?

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 cj5,2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Those are nice but only work with Top off.
They have a kit for the hard top that looks more stable than others I’ve seen. Waiting to hear back from them about static weight limits and availability. I used to have a Gobi on my FJ Cruiser and loved it, but it seems like a lot of metal on a JL...

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 cj5,2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Looked at their website, and under load capacity it says TBD. And to use with the hardtop, you use the MOPAR rails, which only hold 100 lbs due to the raingutters are not strong. So what does this really do other than look nice and cost 300 ?
They have their own rails and support pieces for the center of the express rack which makes it a lot stronger looking than the molar rails for sure. That said, the TBD part makes me worry as well. Wish Rhino would hurry up.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I have been waiting patiently for the Rhino backbone system to be released, but the only movement they have shown is the website says coming soon. I am hoping they are using Moab as a release for this system, since they showcased it in SEMA. If anyone in Moab has some insight, please spill the beans. Summer is coming, and I need something that will support the kayaks and other beach goods.
Just checked the website and it now says "Coming June"...

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
So 'June' before Rhino Backbone system is available? Each month the date is delayed another month! I am wondering how much snow my roof top tent system can accumulate before the backbone system weight limit is exceeded.

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So 'June' before Rhino Backbone system is available? Each month the date is delayed another month! I am wondering how much snow my roof top tent system can accumulate before the backbone system weight limit is exceeded.
It's always wise to remove snow from the roof of your vehicle before driving, you're setting yourself up for disaster if you don't. I doubt a night or days worth of snowfall would exceed the limit of static weight.

Static (standing still) and dynamic (driving, with the wind, or bouncing down a trail, trying to tear the roof rack off) weights are completely different

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
People don't seem to recognize a bad joke. I was eagerly awaiting the release of the Backbone-Pioneer system in early 2018...then fall of 2018...then spring of 2019...now summer of 2019. My gut feeling is that the release will not happen until this fall/winter. Not many roof top tents are 4 season tents.

SwankBait

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU SS
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
Just saw this little trailer for the BackBone. Really sucks to have to wait another 2 months.

Sponsored

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw this little trailer for the BackBone. Really sucks to have to wait another 2 months.
I spoke with Rob at Rhino-Rack today, and he pointed me to the same video. He confirmed June was the expected time frame as @James_a mentions above, and he shared that they had made some adjustments to ensure the setup would work well with headliners. Not sure why that wouldn't have been an issue with the JK, but I take what he said at face value. He also said that there would only be one size system for the JL (I think he said 72x56, but I'm not sure if those were the exact measurements), and that the freedom panels and the hardtop are each removable without having to do anything to the rack/internal substructure.

While I'd like to get a rack on the Jeep, sooner rather than later, I'm happy that they're working to make sure the engineering is right, and my RTT doesn't show up for another couple months anyway.

Last edited:

Shinysideup

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, JLU soon
I spoke with Rob at Rhino-Rack today, and he pointed me to the same video. He confirmed June was the expected time frame as @James_a mentions above, and he shared that they had made some adjustments to ensure the setup would work well with headliners. Not sure why that wouldn't have been an issue with the JK, but I take what he said at face value. He also said that there would only be one size system for the JL (I think he said 72x56, but I'm not sure if those were the exact measurements), and that the hardtop is removable without having to do anything to the rack/internal substructure.

While I'd like to get a rack on the Jeep, sooner rather than later, I'm happy that they're working to make sure the engineering is right, and my RTT doesn't show up for another couple months anyway.
Thanks for sharing. If RR isn't doing a short rack, then only Maximus would work with my sunrider so maybe I won't wait for new platform.

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing. If RR isn't doing a short rack, then only Maximus would work with my sunrider so maybe I won't wait for new platform.
Not sure about the sunrider, so you may want to check with them yourself. I did explicitly ask about which size rack would be best and he was explicit that there would only be one size.

I edited my post above to clarify that both the freedom panels and hardtop are removable without removing the rack. I asked about the freedom panels to confirm.

Nixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully a 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about the sunrider, so you may want to check with them yourself. I did explicitly ask about which size rack would be best and he was explicit that there would only be one size.

I edited my post above to clarify that both the freedom panels and hardtop are removable without removing the rack. I asked about the freedom panels to confirm.
From this shot of the video I'd say using the RR and SR together are probably out, but since the video clearly shows you can strip the rack down to the brackets along the roof line that'll be good enough for me. I wont mind too much not being able to open the SR when I have the rack fully in use, but I'd love a shorter rack option to allow both.

RRBB.png

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Does anyone know if the Kargo Master rack, which should be released in June will allow the soft top to fold?
Sponsored