The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

Nbedell

First Name
Natalie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon
I've been checking this page every day for the past 3 weeks waiting for someone to post that the day has come. I dont want to spend $800 on a temporary rack that isn't rated to haul my kayak.
Wondering if you can help me. I have a JLU and a tandem sea kayak that I need to find a roof rack rated to haul. Thoroughly confused with all the options. Mopars roof rack says it’s rates for 250lbs but that it’s not capable of hauling a kayak/canoe. Rhino rack cross bar system says it’s for kayaks but yet I read somewhere during my research that the rain gutters are only rated for 80lbs. Reading some of this thread it looks like people are buying racks that attach to the rain gutters and putting RRT on them. I was looking at the Gobi or Rhino backbone/Maximus 3 system... do you know the weight limit on the rain gutters and if they’re strong enough for the rack and a kayak?
Sponsored

SwankBait

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU SS
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
Wondering if you can help me. I have a JLU and a tandem sea kayak that I need to find a roof rack rated to haul. Thoroughly confused with all the options. Mopars roof rack says it’s rates for 250lbs but that it’s not capable of hauling a kayak/canoe. Rhino rack cross bar system says it’s for kayaks but yet I read somewhere during my research that the rain gutters are only rated for 80lbs. Reading some of this thread it looks like people are buying racks that attach to the rain gutters and putting RRT on them. I was looking at the Gobi or Rhino backbone/Maximus 3 system... do you know the weight limit on the rain gutters and if they’re strong enough for the rack and a kayak?

I couldn't find the exact weight limit on the gutters themselves. I have been looking into just about every rack currently made for the JLU. Most of the gutter mount systems state that you are able to transport kayaks, just wouldn't recommend highway use. For me, most of my favorite fishing destinations are 60+ miles away. So I personally will not risk any gutter mounted racks. It sounds like you are going to need a heavy duty system to haul a tandem. The Maximus3 is a great option, but you'll need to drill through your top. I'm getting a bit impatient with all the runaround from RhinoRack as far as a release date for the BackBone system. I might be purchasing the Maximus3 as well.

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
I couldn't find the exact weight limit on the gutters themselves. I have been looking into just about every rack currently made for the JLU. Most of the gutter mount systems state that you are able to transport kayaks, just wouldn't recommend highway use. For me, most of my favorite fishing destinations are 60+ miles away. So I personally will not risk any gutter mounted racks. It sounds like you are going to need a heavy duty system to haul a tandem. The Maximus3 is a great option, but you'll need to drill through your top. I'm getting a bit impatient with all the runaround from RhinoRack as far as a release date for the BackBone system. I might be purchasing the Maximus3 as well.
@SwankBait and @Nbedell, the Evo MFG gutter mounted rack is rated to 154lbs and is under $800.
Along with strapping the kayak to the rack, I will be strapping it to my front and rear shackles on my bumpers as well. I always have safety measures in place.
Other people put pieces of foam or small blowup beds between the roof and rack as well, thus increasing the load capability a little.
Just some info from me.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I was looking at the Rhino Rack that jl.rubitron has. Super low profile, super sleek. But i realized i had to drill into the hardtop and I'm not a big fan of that idea at this moment....

Found this video:

He seems to use a no name brand of gutter mounts that use the Thule design then mounts a random rack on them

The mounts are cheap. $70/pair

I imagine getting 2 pairs to evenly distribute the weight over for bars would be fine. Get a flat rack that i can drill mount onto the crossbars.

Any ideas/opinions?

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
You get what you pay for. I’d hate to crack my hard top because I went cheap on this.

Static loads aren’t the worry. It’s putting 200+ lbs up there and then going off road. Cheap racks make yard sales happen.

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
I have been waiting patiently for the Rhino backbone system to be released, but the only movement they have shown is the website says coming soon. I am hoping they are using Moab as a release for this system, since they showcased it in SEMA. If anyone in Moab has some insight, please spill the beans. Summer is coming, and I need something that will support the kayaks and other beach goods.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I have been waiting patiently for the Rhino backbone system to be released, but the only movement they have shown is the website says coming soon. I am hoping they are using Moab as a release for this system, since they showcased it in SEMA. If anyone in Moab has some insight, please spill the beans. Summer is coming, and I need something that will support the kayaks and other beach goods.
Rhino Rack showed off the JL backbone system AND the NEW Pioneer platform (way better version) at Overland Expo East last year, well before SEMA.

This wait is ridiculous considering how long ago it debuted, and I physically had my hands on it at Expo so I know it exists.

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
What’s so new about the platform?
IIRC, the way that the T slots are configured, the corners are different, and it is set up to be able to run wiring inside the tubes for light bars etc. I'ts pretty refined over the current Pioneer platform and worth the wait IMO, especially considering the price. Buyers remorse sucks.

Here's a shot of it at the Expo reveal

DSC01662-1280x853.jpg

DSC01660-1280x853.jpg

Last edited:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
IIRC, the way that the T slots are configured, the corners are different, and it is set up to be able to run wiring inside the tubes for light bars etc. I'ts pretty refined over the current Pioneer platform and worth the wait IMO, especially considering the price. Buyers remorse sucks.

Here's a shot of it at the Expo reveal

DSC01662-1280x853.jpg

DSC01660-1280x853.jpg
Wonder if this new Rhino will work with the MOPAR racks Gutter style attachment legs ? Or any other Gutter style attachment Legs from other manufacturers ? I suppose with some adjustments one can make it work just fine, but don't know 1st-hand. Any inputs from tryer's ?

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
Could you look inside and see how the front is mounted. Rhino posted on their website and stayes removal of the hard top is just 2 bolts. Can anyone comfirm this ?

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 cj5,2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Anyone running the Exposed racks? Seem to be a cool option that could be stored out of the way when not needed...

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Those are nice but only work with Top off.
Sponsored