JL Rubicon vs JK Rubicon

Toddjo1621

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
My Red JL Rubicon was delivered last week and I love it! Today, a Red JK Rubicon was parked next to mine and I snapped a few pictures to highlight the subtle, yet important differences. The JL definitely sits a little taller and the front has a beefier, boxier look.

1-Front.jpg

2-Front.jpg

3-Front.jpg

4-JL Grill.jpg

5-JK Grill.jpg

6-Fenders.jpg

7-Fenders.jpg

8-JL Fender.jpg

9-JK Fender.jpg

10-JL Door Handle.jpg

11-JK Door Handle.jpg

12-Rear.jpg
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Quite interesting, thanks. I'd definitely like to get Mark Allen a little drunk sometime and get his honest appraisal of the JK design.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I was/am a big fan of my JK’s but after owning the JLUR for only a short few days, and seeing them next to each other... I’ll be honest, the JL makes the JK look cheap and by cheap I mean the difference in apparent fit/finish/quality/materials, it’s actually pretty staggering.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
All these pictures are great and it goes to show how the eye can be fooled, I didn’t have the sense for how much bigger the JL is versus the JK until seeing these pictures. Also, the waist line of the two look similar but the extra hight is all in the taller windows. The proportions of the JK remind me a little, and please don’t get mad, of the H2 Hummer, that had rather short windows. I, for one, like the taller windows and new proportions.

Last edited:

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
I was/am a big fan of my JK’s but after owning the JLUR for only a short few days, and seeing them next to each other... I’ll be honest, the JL makes the JK look cheap and by cheap I mean the difference in apparent fit/finish/quality/materials, it’s actually pretty staggering.
Your comment is an interesting one and in my mind gets to the heart of why some are resisting the JL. I think the idea of refinement and utility are two things that are inconsistent or incompatible. My sense is there is an expectation that a Jeep Wrangler must be raw and honest, with just a few creature comforts just kind of tacked on, mostly as afterthoughts so as to not take away from the purity of the actual vehicle. It is/was the simplicity of the design that attracts people, the lack of compromise in a world where SUV’s are trying to be all things to all people but end up as oversized, high performance, luxury, expensive, AWD station wagons.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to take him out and say THANKS!!!

I took this the other day...my JL and a brand new JKU Recon

IMAG0904.jpg
I'd love to hear that, too. I think he'd tell you that prior to the JL, the JK was the best Jeep design to date. It wouldn't be hard to point out flaws in a design that is 10 years old, though. There have been lots of improvements that simply weren't possible when the JK was designed, at least for its price range. Aluminum body panels would be a starter. Management at Jeep was quite different, too. They woudn't have gotten away with the easy folding windshield back then. FCA deserves a lot of credit for allowing the designers to do what they did with the JL.

The JK was a great Jeep, and its sales reflect that. I'll never let mine go, and it will be hitting the trails right alongside my JL, for years to come. The JK takes its place in history as a great and important Jeep. Simple as that.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Your comment is an interesting one and in my mind gets to the heart of why some are resisting the JL. I think the idea of refinement and utility are two things that are inconsistent or incompatible. My sense is there is an expectation that a Jeep Wrangler must be raw and honest, with just a few creature comforts just kind of tacked on, mostly as afterthoughts so as to not take away from the purity of the actual vehicle. It is/was the simplicity of the design that attracts people, the lack of compromise in a world where SUV’s are trying to be all things to all people but end up as oversized, high performance, luxury, expensive, AWD station wagons.
I hear you, but the JL ( in comparison) seems honed out of a solid block and bolted together with more purpose and quality, 1 drive clearly should put aside any fears that it’s any less of a real jeep... when you are asking a vehicle to do what this vehicle is built for, I’ll take the one that was put together with more quality material every time, and stock for stock, more capable. Anyone that feels this is some watered down main stream station wagon is being irrational or obstinate.

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I hear you, but the JL ( in comparison) seems honed out of a solid block and bolted together with more purpose and quality, 1 drive clearly should put aside any fears that it’s any less of a real jeep... when you are asking a vehicle to do what this vehicle is built for, I’ll take the one that was put together with more quality material every time, and stock for stock, more capable. Anyone that feels this is some watered down main stream station wagon is being irrational or obstinate.
There are plenty of obstinate and irrational people out there, just look at our government, they are either Republican or Democrat, depending on your point of view :)

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm unsure refinement and utility are inconsistent or incompatible. Maybe luxury and utility? A lot of utilitarian things are heavily refined during design. IE, from a first time jeep owner, it looks like they took time refining the core jeep concepts on the new JL. Is there too much luxury, maybe? I doubt it will get confused for an X3, X5, Escalade, Tahoe, Q5/7, etc. I'd say an example of a vehicle that more lost its utility is the H3, but maybe I don't know enough about it.

On the other hand, I'm more annoyed with designs that insert intentional quirks to add character. For example, ballparks built in the last 10 years that intentionally contort the seating sections to seem like an old ballpark wedged into a footprint. I don't see much in the way of fake details on the new JL, but it may just be my perspective.

On the other hand, older wranglers will retain value for people still wanting that older feel. If I could have a 2nd car, it might be an old jeep and not a JLU as a daily driver :)

MEO73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon
I sort of prefer the grill and headlight configuration of the JK to the JL. But the JL will grow on me-i hope, as I am getting one soon!

Jrauck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
All these pictures are great and it goes to show how the eye can be fooled, I didn’t have the sense for how much bigger the JL is versus the JK until seeing these pictures. Also, the waist line of the two look similar but the extra hight is all in the taller windows. The proportions of the JK remind me a little, and please don’t get mad, of the H2 Hummer, that had rather short windows. I, for one, like the taller windows and new proportions.
It's funny you say that cause I was thinking the same thing, except more like the h3. It's weird too, because as many JKs as I've been around I've never thought this until now.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It's funny you say that cause I was thinking the same thing, except more like the h3. It's weird too, because as many JKs as I've been around I've never thought this until now.
I'm not actually sure the windows are bigger. TFL on Youtube measured them side by side and found no difference. Somehow there is an illusion, and if they are bigger in some dimension, it is barely. I'll go out and measure mine today. Remember, I drive the JK and JL back to back all the time. I'm not feeling that the windows are bigger. Anyway, the measuring tape will tell.
Sponsored