Sponsored

Adding 12 volt Auxiliary outlet for towing

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Going to install a 12 volt auxiliary outlet off one of the auxiliary switches to provide constant power for my supplemental braking system.( Brake Buddy) Anybody have pics of how you mounted yours? Any words of wisdom from the install? Also if you ran a brake away wiring what path did you take from the bumper to the cab?
Sponsored

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
Going to install a 12 volt auxiliary outlet off one of the auxiliary switches to provide constant power for my supplemental braking system.( Brake Buddy) Anybody have pics of how you mounted yours? Any words of wisdom from the install? Also if you ran a brake away wiring what path did you take from the bumper to the cab?
Not exactly an answer to your question but I didn't have the switches. I bought a 10' 12 volt extension and just plugged into the 12 volt outlet already full time at the drivers side rear corner.
My 2 cents. v/r rch

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
I have the Aux switches, but decided to use the "battery direct connect" method for the additional 12v outlet instead. I realized I'd have no reason to turn it off even when not towing, so no real function or need to connect to a switch and no chance of accidentally turning it off. I used a 12v kit from RVi, but I think many of the similar kits offered by others are also intended for direct connection to your 12v battery i.e. they might have the proper end connections ready to use. I located the new 12v outlet under the driver's side dash towards the center console. It's cable-tied up in place to let it drop down just enough for me to plug in the brake unit. My wiring goes from the interior to the engine compartment via the floor plug since the Cooltech harness drops thru it, too, but I've read somewhere in these forums there is a rubber grommet / gasket or two in the firewall. Find it, poke a hole, fish the cables thru with a stiff wire. And don't forget the need for a battery charger to keep the Jeep topped off while towing; it's powered by the 12v power from the RV umbilical cable. I hope this helps. . .

OP
OP
Nutmeg

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Everyone's experience is helpful. We all make a better community by sharing what we have learned. Thanks
Sponsored