Sponsored

Anyone Flat Towing with 35s? I Need Help

cinap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Hi folks,
We are switching from a large 5th wheel setup to an RV. I obviously can't flat tow my dually and it is impractical to keep if I'm not towing with it anyway. The plan is to get a Wrangler JL Rubicon for flat towing. If I'm being honest with myself, I'm more excited about the Jeep than I am the RV!

Anyway, I plan on off-roading but I need to keep things practical for flat towing as well. I've searched the forms, but can't pin down specifics on some of these questions. I'm hoping the fine folks on this forum can provide some experienced feedback to give me some piece of mind that I'm making smart decisions.

1. Has anyone run into issues towing with a 2" lift and 35s?
2. I'm planning on using the stock steel bumper with a Warn winch and probably a Blue Ox baseplate. Has anyone with this (or a similar) setup had any issues with the front end sagging? I'm sure the weight will sag it a little, but I'm hoping it will be negligible. I do plan on going with synthetic to keep the winch weight down.
3. This is a little off-topic for this group, but does anyone have a similar setup with the 4.10 axle? If so, did you find it necessary to re-gear after the lift and 35s?
4. Does anyone have any suggestions for base plates that have a minimal profile and don't hurt the approach angle (or at least minimizes it)? Blue Ox seems like a good option, but I'd love suggestions if anyone has some to share.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to get this thing on the road and into some mud.
-Cin
Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I use Blue Ox on my 2019 Sport S with a Warn vr10s.
I didn't want the Rubicon because it's getting too close to 5000 pounds and I don't want to tow any more than that. O have a 33 foot Class A Gasser and even if I move to a DP I want to stay in the 5000 lb tow class.

Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
No lift as yet, but, I do have 35’s. I have towed a JK before and went with the Maximus-3 tow hooks this time on my JLUR. They were easy to install with minor trimming of stock steel bumper. I used the Mopar flat tow harness for wiring and everything works great!

OP
OP

cinap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
No lift as yet, but, I do have 35’s. I have towed a JK before and went with the Maximus-3 tow hooks this time on my JLUR. They were easy to install with minor trimming of stock steel bumper. I used the Mopar flat tow harness for wiring and everything works great!
Thanks, those tow loops look like a good alternative to a full baseplate and I like that they attach to the chassis instead of the bumper/mounting frame like some of the other options out there (i.e. RockHard).

Mind if I ask what type of tow bar you went with? I was looking at RoadMaster NightHawk, but I'm concerned that one won't work because it requires a cross-bar style or a baseplate with it built in.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks, those tow loops look like a good alternative to a full baseplate and I like that they attach to the chassis instead of the bumper/mounting frame like some of the other options out there (i.e. RockHard).

Mind if I ask what type of tow bar you went with? I was looking at RoadMaster NightHawk, but I'm concerned that one won't work because it requires a cross-bar style or a baseplate with it built in.
FWIW. . .Regarding the tow-bar and Maximus tow loops, I originally looked at the RM Nighthawk, but it is not compatible with the loops which were my preference over a full baseplate under the bumper. I ended up with a Blue Ox Ascent tow-bar and swapped out the adapters (the piece at the toad end of the tow-bar that connects to the baseplate or loops) with a pair from Maximus made to fit their loops and BO tow-bars.

Sponsored

Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I’m reusing my Blue Ox tow bar with adapter ends from Maximus-3 to fit the tow hooks. FWIW, the Maximus tow hooks are the least intrusive option on the market. I’m also reusing the safety cables from the Blue Ox kit as well. All that with the Mopar flat tow harness is the perfect setup IMHO.
PS, I don’t have any pics yet with the towbar and safety cables on, but will try and post some next week when I get home. Hope this helps.

E3E5B514-EF6D-44AB-82D7-AF68318C86C2.jpeg

OP
OP

cinap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
I’m reusing my Blue Ox tow bar with adapter ends from Maximus-3 to fit the tow hooks. FWIW, the Maximus tow hooks are the least intrusive option on the market. I’m also reusing the safety cables from the Blue Ox kit as well. All that with the Mopar flat tow harness is the perfect setup IMHO.
PS, I don’t have any pics yet with the towbar and safety cables on, but will try and post some next week when I get home. Hope this helps.

E3E5B514-EF6D-44AB-82D7-AF68318C86C2.jpeg
You guys are awesome, thank you so much. That setup looks slick!

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well I am getting ready to go on my first trip in a couple of weeks. I will be towing my 18 JLU Rubicon with Mopar Lift 35 inch tires. I Have a LOD bumper set up for towing. Just got the Motorhome out of storage today.
IMG_0488.JPG

List of my tow equipment.
Blue ox 6000lbs Tow bar
Patriot Brake System
Cool tech wire harness for lights.
Still have to install brake away safety cable
Hoping to get some nice weather this week so I can lay everything out and maybe make a couple of practice runs. Must admit I have pulled many boat and snowmobile trailers behind my pick up but I never have pulled a jeep behind a Motorhome.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Towing a 2019 Rubicon 2-door behind a Winnebago 24' Via (Mercedes 3500 diesel chassis) with a 5000 pound tow limit. Using Roadmaster 521450-4 baseblate and Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar. The Jeep is being stopped by a Ready Brake receiver. I was concerned about the 5000 pound towing limit too but the 2-door is well under the 5000 pound limit and the 185 HP Mercedes handles it with no problems. We were planning to take a long trip this summer but not now (f-ing COVID-19). We were going to give the MH a break going through the mountains by disconnecting the Rubicon and driving it separate through the mountains. This would save wear and tear on the MH even though it would handle it. We had a Mini Cooper previously and made it through the mountains with no problems (of course it was 1200 pounds lighter). Our plan 'B' is to just do 3-5 day trips around AZ.

Deerhorn

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
JLRU with Maximus and Blue Ox. Havre 35's, but no lift yet. Works great.
Sponsored