First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Thanks! Thats the feedback I was looking for.

Would the 3.3s work well with the overland puck kit?

What would the advantage be, if any, if I went with the Teraflex ST3 system?
We're always happy to answer any Qs we can!

Yes, the 3.3 would work well with the puck kit. The adjustability for ride should help make up for the OE spring rate.

The ST3 kit and the 3.3s are a pretty stellar combination. We installed that about a month ago on our Marketing director's JLUR and it is probably the nicest riding JL we have built. @TeraFlex seems to have really down their homework on spring rates and valving for the JL. I've been slowly editing the pics for that ST3 write-up, will try to get that one done for next week.

Coil kit vs Puck kit: The one thing about puck kits is they use the OE coils, which are designed for the vehicle as it sits when you got it. Replacement coil kits typically have a heavier rated coil, which will help carry all the extra armor and gear we add to our rigs.

@DToxic, What tire size are you looking to run?

Tim, how well do you think these 2.1 2-3.5" shocks will work with the MetalCloak 3.5" lift? Just their base lift not the game changer.
@RUSTYS They'll work great. They are designed for a 2-3.5" lift, so if you match that with the MC 3.5" lift, you'll be fine.
TeraFlex really did a great job on the valving of the Falcon shocks, they're my go-to recommendation for JL lifts.

***Shout out to all JLWF members, if you are in the PNW or will be visiting the PNW and can stop in at the Silverdale, WA location, we have three different JLUs here with different suspensions on them. We'd be happy to take you for a ride to check out the differences.***

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
We're always happy to answer any Qs we can!

Yes, the 3.3 would work well with the puck kit. The adjustability for ride should help make up for the OE spring rate.

The ST3 kit and the 3.3s are a pretty stellar combination. We installed that about a month ago on our Marketing director's JLUR and it is probably the nicest riding JL we have built. @TeraFlex seems to have really down their homework on spring rates and valving for the JL. I've been slowly editing the pics for that ST3 write-up, will try to get that one done for next week.

Coil kit vs Puck kit: The one thing about puck kits is they use the OE coils, which are designed for the vehicle as it sits when you got it. Replacement coil kits typically have a heavier rated coil, which will help carry all the extra armor and gear we add to our rigs.

@DToxic, What tire size are you looking to run?

@RUSTYS They'll work great. They are designed for a 2-3.5" lift, so if you match that with the MC 3.5" lift, you'll be fine.
TeraFlex really did a great job on the valving of the Falcon shocks, they're my go-to recommendation for JL lifts.

***Shout out to all JLWF members, if you are in the PNW or will be visiting the PNW and can stop in at the Silverdale, WA location, we have three different JLUs here with different suspensions on them. We'd be happy to take you for a ride to check out the differences.***
My goal is to keep my JL build clean and simple; OEM + if you will. Therefore, I was envisioning a 2-3" lift with 35" tires on the Mopar beadlock.

95% of my driving is on road, so I want something with a quality ride and improved handling because on-road safety is very important to me; but with some off-road adjustability just in case. I want a suspension setup that will account for future added armor weight plans (Rhino rack, tire carrier, rear steel bumper, and bike rack eventually).

This is my first Jeep/off-road vehicle/big car. I'm coming from the street car scene where you add coilovers to reduce body roll and improve overall handling performance. I'm guessing it works the same for Jeeps? Physics is physics? haha

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
My goal is to keep my JL build clean and simple; OEM + if you will. Therefore, I was envisioning a 2-3" lift with 35" tires on the Mopar beadlock.

95% of my driving is on road, so I want something with a quality ride and improved handling because on-road safety is very important to me; but with some off-road adjustability just in case. I want a suspension setup that will account for future added armor weight plans (Rhino rack, tire carrier, rear steel bumper, and bike rack eventually).

This is my first Jeep/off-road vehicle/big car. I'm coming from the street car scene where you add coilovers to reduce body roll and improve overall handling performance. I'm guessing it works the same for Jeeps? Physics is physics? haha
2-3" lift I think would be way too much lift if you're only going to run 35s on a Rubicon. It's funny I've never heard anyone call a Wrangler "big". Enjoy your Jeep it looks nice.

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
2-3" lift I think would be way too much lift if you're only going to run 35s on a Rubicon. It's funny I've never heard anyone call a Wrangler "big". Enjoy your Jeep it looks nice.
Thanks Rusty! Are you on 35s? at OEM height? (looking at your profile pic)

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Thanks Rusty! Are you on 35s? at OEM height? (looking at your profile pic)
No those are 37s with 2.5". 35s will fit on your Rubicon stock. I would put them on first and then decide how much extra lift you think you'd like.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
@DToxic,

I'll echo what @RUSTYS says: 35"s will fit your Rubicon stock.

2.5"-3" of lift will give you enough room for 37"s.

Yes, it does, just on a more exaggerated scale because you are already starting out taller with a higher center of gravity.

The best thing you can do for handling is to keep the vehicle low. So if you only want 35"s, put them on now and then maybe add a 3/4" to 1-1/2" if you really want a little lift.

Next up is a quality set of shocks. The TeraFlex Falcons, Fox and Kings are all good. Each brand is valved a little different, I've heard some people say the Fox shocks are a little lightly valved, some think the Falcons are little firm. That's where the Falcon 3.3 Fast Adjust shocks are nice, you can adjust the ride to softer or firmer.

We just installed the EVO JL Enforcer Stage 4 Coil-Over kit on the boss's JL last month. He runs 37"s during the week and puts 40"s on when he wants to go play.

Bstran

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal, 2017 F150
How’s the ST3 write up coming? I will be driving west this week and plan to stop in at TeraFlex in Utah to see what all I may need. Undecided between an ST2, or ST3 but figure that more lift on a 37 is probably better.

Hopefully they will have a JL or two with their lifts that I can look at while I’m there. I think Northridge has a shop right in the same area, may stop there also depending...

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
in your guys' opinion, how do you think the new 2.5" budget boost kit from AEV will compare to the EVO one?

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
in your guys' opinion, how do you think the new 2.5" budget boost kit from AEV will compare to the EVO one?
If you're talking about spacer lift's I would honestly save your money and go with a Rough Country for $175 and buy whatever shocks you like.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
How’s the ST3 write up coming? I will be driving west this week and plan to stop in at TeraFlex in Utah to see what all I may need. Undecided between an ST2, or ST3 but figure that more lift on a 37 is probably better.

Hopefully they will have a JL or two with their lifts that I can look at while I’m there. I think Northridge has a shop right in the same area, may stop there also depending...
Yes, over towards the airport: 4870 W 2100 S, suite A, SLC, UT

Still editing pics on the ST4 write-up... in between all the others, LoL! Hopefully will be able to get it done in the next week or so.

Currently working on the JL TeraFlex Delta Brake write-up. They are badass! Wow!

The AEV kit is a 2", not 2.5" and that extra 1/2" makes a difference if you want to run 37s.

I like the steel spacer kits (like EVO) over a poly spacer. No material movement, no deformation, no settling over time.

If you're talking about spacer lift's I would honestly save your money and go with a Rough Country for $175 and buy whatever shockd you like.
Shocks make a huge difference with any lift. So far I've been most impressed with the TeraFlex Falcons. There are some other great shocks out there, though for my ride and drive style, I think TeraFlex really has the Falcons dialed in.

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah!!!! Pre-Release parts are always really cool and earlier in the week we received a set of the new Falcon shocks from Teraflex for the JLs.

Box.jpg

Opening the box, it was pretty much the quality we've come to expect from the Falcon line of shocks from Teraflex. The shocks are built from 6061 aluminum and look great. Teraflex does a great job of packaging them too.

Falcon-box.jpg

Falcon-Shocks.jpg

The installation is straight forward and quite easy, pretty much unbolt your old shocks and install the new Falcons.

Falcon_on-JL.jpg

The report back from the Boss was very favorable and we now have a bunch of these on order from Teraflex, just waiting on production.

***Hot News - Just got word we have twenty sets of these shocks on the shelf, get them while they're hot!****

TERAFLEX FALCON SERIES 2.1 MONOTUBE SHOCK KIT 2-3.5" LIFT - JL 4DR
Any current discount codes for these shocks?

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
JL Wrangler Forums discount code is "jlwranglerforums".
Sponsored