Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Hi All,

My wife, 5 month old, and two dogs often make 3.5 hour trips up to VT. I love taking the JL but we're already having space issues with just one baby.

For those of you who use a rack with rooftop boxes to add space, have you found the cost worth it? I understand there are some cons that come with them, wind noise being one of them. We carry two medium duffels, stroller, baby carrier, 2 backpacks, dogs, and 2.5 humans. Obviously the bags etc would be the roof items, not trying to pull a Mitt Romney.

Please share your experience with racks and boxes, I have both the hard and soft top.

Thank you!
Sponsored

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
Have you considered a hitch mount cargo basket?

Thats what I have to do when go camping this summer!

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
The OP didn’t mention interest in a trailer, but that’s the route I took, with similar needs.
I don’t trust the plastic/fiberglass gutters on my hardtop to do more than direct rain onto my leg when I open the door. They excel at that.
Cargo baskets can’t carry my kayak.
So I bought a 4’x7’ utility trailer from Tractor Supply for $600. I like it.
It’s so small and light that it doesn’t even have a tongue jack, and doesn’t need one.
It tracks in the Jeep’s tracks. I made some side and end panels of 1/2” plywood, and put a rubber mat on the floor.
Tows like a champ. I use my rear camera to make sure it’s still there.
You can buy cheaper, but they’re bolted together. This one’s welded.
I like welded.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Hi All,

My wife, 5 month old, and two dogs often make 3.5 hour trips up to VT. I love taking the JL but we're already having space issues with just one baby.

For those of you who use a rack with rooftop boxes to add space, have you found the cost worth it? I understand there are some cons that come with them, wind noise being one of them. We carry two medium duffels, stroller, baby carrier, 2 backpacks, dogs, and 2.5 humans. Obviously the bags etc would be the roof items, not trying to pull a Mitt Romney.

Please share your experience with racks and boxes, I have both the hard and soft top.

Thank you!
My similar situation involved a cross country trip with my wife and daughter. My solution was the addition of Yakima round bars with towers (rain gutter mount) and a Yakima Skybox from REI.

Boom. All problems solved, and it goes on or off in two minutes flat.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
2 more things: Check the welds. My local store had 3 in stock, and the welds varied.
And it was $700 at the store, but $600 online with store pickup. No extra trouble, just a free $100.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My similar situation involved a cross country trip with my wife and daughter. My solution was the addition of Yakima round bars with towers (rain gutter mount) and a Yakima Skybox from REI.

Boom. All problems solved, and it goes on or off in two minutes flat.
Pictures?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
For those of you who use a rack with rooftop boxes to add space..
When I think rooftop boxes I also think about the rails that hold them.

The rail systems I know for the JL (from MOPAR) only work with the hard top's rain gutter and are limited in how much weight you can carry. They may also work with the Power top: I simply don't know.

There are tons of variables that only you can prioritize before I go throwing solutions at you. I'll try giving you some of them.

Before I do, here's a good place to start:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-roof-rack-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/

• How much are you willing to spend?
  • Do you see the family growing in size while you own your JL (more gear less place internally to put it)?
  • 2 of 4 door?
  • Do you want to be able to remove the rack (easily)?
  • Will you be using it for more than these VT trips?
  • Do you be carrying other cargo (someday) like skis or camping gear.
  • What kind of top do you own?
  • Do you want a rack that works with either soft or hard top?
  • Are you willing to drill through the top?
  • Are you willing to drill through the body, even if in hidden places?
  • Do you need it now--many manufacturers are still not to market?
  • Are you looking for a quick fix now, and something more substantial down the road?
  • Do you want to take the Freedom Panels out, the hard top off, the Soft top down?

The "Cadillac" is the Gobi. My favorite, although still vaporware is the LOD.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ffered-by-anyone-yet.26701/page-6#post-645441

OP
OP

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Thank you for the responses!

I would have liked to do a hitch mount box, but we have ski's to transport in the winter and I prefer to have those on the roof anyway. This pretty much leaves me with roof mount options.

@Rahneld Thank you for the detailed response this is good information for thinking this through.
  • Out of the options available it seems like the most cost effective option is to start with a rooftop box and Mopar rails. However that means no soft top in the summer.
  • In the future I'd like to go with something like to Gobi to be able to use both the hardtop and soft top (I do not want to drill through the top or body). This will also allow for maximal loading.
  • Ski's and other gear can be added to this in the future as well.
For those with the Mopar rails and rooftop box...
1. How bad is wind noise with the box and Mopar rails?
2. What is the maximum sized box that you'd put on the JL's hardtop?
a. I think the roof is 94" long - does anyone have experience with the longer boxes on the market?​
3. Have you been limited by the 150lb load rating?

Thank you

Sponsored

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
I would go with the Yakima landing pad system if you are considering a ski rack as well install is little tedious to make sure everything is lined up to install, but once that is done everything can be on/off in under ten minutes

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Gobi Rack! - its a beast and not for faint of heart. Hauls it all. Tires, gas, luggage, boxes, skis, canoe, RTT, whatever you can throw at it. I love it but of course comes with a little noise and MPG reduction...

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I don't have a picture of it on the Jeep.
Thule load bars with rain gutter feet and a Yakima cargo box
20190405_180001.jpg
20190408_175956.jpg
What size is the box you are using? I’m looking to fit an OZ tent in a carrier but need 67.5 inches in interior length.
Sponsored