Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The problem is, I don’t know what I need. I’ve been lurking on the forums for a bit, and it’s like drinking from a firehose. No problems on the dirt road, and I don’t like to just burn money.

Brett
Here's what I think you should do.

1) Before "wrapping your head" around any accessories, establish an initial budget. If you don't, visiting web sites that sell this stuff may be a little like walking into the supermarket hungry (i.e. you may have over-buyer's regret afterwards.)

2) Visit several of the internet sites well known for providing Wrangler accessories. Make sure that whatever you look at is compatible with the JL. Most JK stuff is not JL compatible.

3) Make a list, ideally on spreadsheet of everything that interests you and its price.

4) Sort the list according to what you like most, eliminated duplicates in a product space, like "grab handles."

5) Buy what's at the top of the list to the point where it doesn't exceed your budget.

(I know...easier said that done! : - ) )

You see, I know your OP was centered around non-heavy duty off roading, but for anyone to categorically steer (ha pun ) you in that direction is to have you do without another accessory you may want more but don't yet no about. So best, get to know all the stuff out there first.
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
But honestly, your Jeep is very capable of doing what 90% of owners ask it to do :like:
I asked mine to make me coffee in the morning. It didn't.

Does that fall in to the 10% that it won't do? :(

smores

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
As a newbie myself - I just wait for a problem/situation to occur - then I look at a solution that involves modifying the vehicle.

You'll go crazy by just staring at all the possibilities.

A lot of folks here are experienced, so they already know what equipment they want. I would just enjoy the jeep as-is for now - then see what needs to be tweaked down the road.

Oh and congrats :)

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
What you’ll find is that the more vocal posts will be about this mystical need to climb untouched mountain ledges that nature has deemed as life threatening. Fact is- about 5% of Jeeps end up doing this. About 10% hit some version of trails consistently, typically camping and some nerve stretching. The other 85% use the Jeep for everything else it was made for. It’s a convertible, recovery vehicle, essential for bad weather areas, and just a fun vehicle to have.

So, my point, is that you need to find you. Don’t just go with the “it has to have this gear ratio and 40 inch tires or it isn’t a real Jeep!” Posts. I did that on JK1 and hated it after about 6 months. The drive was awful, the mileage was a disaster and I overspent to be “cool”. JK2 was a much better option, but I over corrected and refused to buy anything. JL1 has been my wisdom vehicle. I do disaster recovery, so I got my winch, bumper, lift, emergency kits, all weather everything (cuz I don’t want her to be dirty on the inside) and some new tires.

You’ll find you can do just about anything with it. The key is to remember that Jeeps weren’t exclusively made for rock climbing. They do well at it for sure, but they do just as well on a beach with the top down and no rocks in site. Find your happy place first- then mod.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The Jeep world is packed full of lore on stuff you “need”. Based on what you've said you want to do, id add basic recovery stuff (straps, drings etc) and thats about it. You will figure out what you REALLY need with experience. Don’t just buy everything the internet says you need because you will waste a lot of money.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
A couple of months ago, I bought my first Jeep—a 2018 JLU Sahara. First fun ride I’ve had in over 30 years (4 kids will do that to you). It’s my main ride to work. Never did any off-roading before.

Last week, I drove on a "nature trail" at Patuxent River Park in Maryland (basically a dirt road through woods and farmland), loved it, love my Jeep, and am looking for more.

Question: what mods would you suggest for a complete newbie? I'm not going out to Moab, and don’t expect to do any serious rock climbing, but would like to do a bit more than a dirt road, and am looking for recommendations for fun and interesting upgrades.

Thanks!

Brett
The first thing I would recommend to facilitate mild off road driving is nothing, second is front sway bar disconnects. They will help keep all the tires touching the ground, are not too expensive and have minimal impact on regular driving. I personally would be working on getting that hard top off for some topless driving.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
SOMORES, all is OK unless whatever happens to make our decision happens 4 or 5 miles into the woods on what you someone told you was a medium tough trail and your alone! Not sure your idea is that great.

All Jeeps are pretty amazing where it can do, even some simple rock crawling if you're careful!

If the Sahara came with H/T tires (some do??) or A/t's and if your A/T's are not very aggressive you might choose something a bit more aggressive. Be careful off road with your Sahara steps, if a tough off road trail comes up those steps can get crunched pretty well! If are thinking of pretty tough trails maybe a set of Rock Rail Sliders, MoPar are OK, My 2007 and 2012 JKUS's had them and they worked ok on some pretty tough rides. There are a big choice out there however!!

Your stock Jeep will do wonders as is,just go easy if you approach a good mud hole with stock S's and can skirt around, do it! No one wins a prize for getting bogged in a mud hole! Even though you might end with a totally mud covered vehicle, no prize for that either!! lol

Have fun be careful !

Go Jeep!!!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Your stock Jeep will do wonders as is,just go easy if you approach a good mud hole with stock S's and can skirt around, do it! No one wins a prize for getting bogged in a mud hole! Even though you might end with a totally mud covered vehicle, no prize for that either!! lol
The only 'prize' is spending a couple hours getting all the mud off afterwards... still not sure how I got mud on my sun visors INSIDE the Jeep... :facepalm:

IMG_1383.JPG

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
Most people go for larger tires but you will also need new wheels to accommodate them. The problem with this that it leads to adding a lift. Then you will probably find that you really need regearing (which you do but most people wont spend the money). First thing you know you have spent over $5000 and if you are not going to do much off roading you have just cosmetically enhanced your Jeep. If this look is what you want then be prepared for the expense. I did these things and then it seemed under powered so I added Prodigy’s turbo kit. Then I didn’t like the cloth interior so I added Katzkin leather. Before I knew it I had spent over $23k in upgrades and I still haven’t added bumpers. It’s really an almost never ending pursuit so just think about what you really WANT because you really already have everything you really need.

Sponsored

sudeepi

First Name
Durga Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara UL, 2014 Honda CR-V
A couple of months ago, I bought my first Jeep—a 2018 JLU Sahara. First fun ride I’ve had in over 30 years (4 kids will do that to you). It’s my main ride to work. Never did any off-roading before.

Last week, I drove on a "nature trail" at Patuxent River Park in Maryland (basically a dirt road through woods and farmland), loved it, love my Jeep, and am looking for more.

Question: what mods would you suggest for a complete newbie? I'm not going out to Moab, and don’t expect to do any serious rock climbing, but would like to do a bit more than a dirt road, and am looking for recommendations for fun and interesting upgrades.

Thanks!

Brett
So, you are just like me :)
As someone said, try it out to fail and get what's required to overcome that fail. I have tried few mud / dirt roads (aren't planning for a serious rock climbing for sure), so far my Sahara did well. So, I am not adding more unless I need them. BTW, I have Nitto 305/65/18 LT tires and a steel front bumper (replaced stock ones) and this is working out for me. If I fail on somewhere, then I'll try to add or avoid that trail :)

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
for Moab you will need Tires and the Sahara can take up to 285 70 18 a set or 5 for AT or MT tires will run about 1300 from discount tire.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
The only 'prize' is spending a couple hours getting all the mud off afterwards... still not sure how I got mud on my sun visors INSIDE the Jeep... :facepalm:

IMG_1383.JPG
Mud on visors inside the Jeep.. wow, that is some serious skill!

Yea, new owner advice, pretty sure I am late to this party but... MUD!
Get that Jeep covered in mud.

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I’m a new Jeep owner and the only “mods” I’ve done (so far) is mostly for aesthetics and comfort (grab handles, floor mats, Sunrider, stubby antenna, and some MOLLE bags). I have a Rubicon so most of my money is spent but I would focus on comfort and whatever look you want. The only legit mod I am looking to do is getting a winch and a Tazer mini. If I didn’t get a Rubicon, I’d look at 33” or 35” tired. Of course...it’s a Jeep...to each their own! :)
You said it exactly right
At this price point most of my money is spent! Mods are gonna roll out slowly.

I tell you what going to kill me is my gas bill! I have put 900 miles on my Jeep in 2 weeks and my commute to work is only 5 miles.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I added a winch, some recovery tools, and onboard air and I’m pretty much done. I’ve added other accessories, but they are all mostly comfort/ convenience.
Love your Rat Rod Truck.
Sponsored