Sponsored

Most wanted accessory that isn't offered by anyone yet

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
How about a washer for the rear camera.....that thing is always covered with $#!T.

Doc
Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
bikini/windjammer/duster combo. i loved it on my TJ
i would settle for a bestop halftop again, even tho i didn't really like it on my tj, that's why i went with the duster combo. drove it for a whole canadian winter one year, wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I don't work for or profit from LOD sales.

With coincidence, just as I'm about to post what I'm waiting for, the makers themselves post better pictures of the yet to be released product since their last glimpse to the public.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...jl-destroyer-unlimited-sliding-roof-rack.html

LODoffrackwithtrack.jpg

Notice that the rack's on an JK. LOD expressed interest in perfecting it for that market first before moving on to the JL implementation.

Notice how the rack's on "fully extendable desk drawer slides." This allows it to be 100% cantilevered (in either direction) to the side, to bring down a soft top (or be an awning)...not that taking the basket off when not in use, or simply taking out some of the basket inserts won't effect that soft top freedom too (Freedom Panels as well.) If it's like the last design, such cantilevering will still allow considerable weight on the basket.

This is loads easier than the Gobi when it comes to top removal...but, this LOD rack involves the drilling of holes behind the tail lights, that remain invisible if you remove the rack (IMHO not big deal.) The Gobi is drilless.

Body versus frame attachment

As most of us know the Wrangler is not a unibody based suspension but rather an old school body on frame. This means that a rack which attaches in the front to the body (as racks do) best attach in back to the body (not frame), or else as the Wrangler's body and frame move independently, particularly off road, a rack that's attached at one end to the body, and the other end to the frame is subject to torsional pressures.

Both the LOD and Gobi racks attach to the body....no question. But looking at the installation instructions for the Gobi (at least the JL version,) I wonder if some of the attachment points that give that body attachment strength are frame based. Owners/Gobi, please clarify that. The Gobi is an awesome rack: I don't wish to in any way put it down.

Evolution

The original LOD rack (before the JL) slid to the back.

LODoriginal.jpg

It was still a thing of beauty I think in being able to do that, especially with weight on it. But sliding to the side is easier during street parking loading/unloading, involves less cantilevering (read: more weight on the rack) and this original design's lack of "drawer slides" meant that in order for the rack to "clear" the top, some of the racks footprint had to remain empty in front.

LODOriginalfromtop.jpg

I can't wait to put a second mortgage on my home and buy one!

Then, I'll see if I can attach linear actuators on it to slide it to the side automatically, open my Mytop https://mytop.us/ , @Covfefe and return the rack back to position, all without leaving the rig (as my wife serves me with divorce papers)!

Edit: 4/9: I now believe the Gobi rack is neither attached to nor secured by anything other than body parts: as it should be. It's an awesome rack.

Last edited:

Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Still looking forward to seeing Rugged Ridge's fender mod. Although, I lost a little interest when they said they were going to provide instructions on "how to trim the fender trim" as opposed to providing their own similar to their SEMA build.

Quite frankly, I'll just be happy when the 2-Door market catches up with the 4-Door. Skids, tops, rock rails, etc. Just slim pickings at the moment.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Did you just plug it into the video out, power and ground?
@smokinjeep
I plugged it into the video output on the 8.8 Uconnect with the Tazer JL cable, and powered it from my accessory wire that was part of the Auxiliary Switch Group, had to run the acc power wire out through the clutch plug hole and the video wire in through the same place.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
D ring mount that goes in place of the factory bumperettes. It would probably be a fairly simple bracket to make, as the bumperettes are directly below the OEM recovery points.

JDA_Mopar_Full_Rubicon_Steel_Bumper_01_JL_12112.0140.jpg
Yes front and rear D-rings, dislike the hooks.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Hood blackout vinyl with a red perimeter that matches the Rubicon hood stickers.

Like this:

You could probably get pixeldecals to make it.
I am revising my wish :). I want the decal to go around the Rubicon vents and cowl, similar in shape to the non-Rubicon hood blackout decals. Like this (but on a Rubicon)
jeep-wrangler-moab-e-5_1600x0w.jpg

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

@smokinjeep

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H852D49/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this camera mounted up high in the center of the grille (no hole drilled, just through a center grille opening) with a 1/8-1/4 inch rubber spacer to move it out just a little farther. It views about 16 inches in front of the bumper at ground level.

Wish the pictures would have turned out better. View attachment 163853
20190403_195127.jpg
20190403_195654.jpg

View attachment 163849

20190403_195105.jpg

View attachment 163852
That’s sick
Sponsored